Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Edge 500 v 800?
Quote | Reply
Which one? This will be used for racing and training. I like the mapping feature of the 800 but this is not an absolute necessity. Just interested in peoples opinions as the 500 seems to be a great deal at 250$, but several reviews have suggested that the 800 is worth the 450$.Would you race with the 800? Does anyone have the new 800 and care to share their comments.
Last edited by: -Mike-: Nov 15, 10 17:32
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge 500 v 800? [-Mike-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not well versed in either the 500 or 800 but I will say that I like the mapping feature on my 705. I enjoy mapping out new routes on google maps and being able to upload turn-by-turn directions onto the 705. The buttons work great and the screen size in fine for me. I do not need a touchscreen or need to display 50 data fields.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basically the same except for the mapping. Is it worth an extra $200 to you? I have a 705 and only use the maps a couple of times a year when I upload new route and use the turn by turn directions. For those times it's great and saves a lot of headaches.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge 500 v 800? [crambo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
something is that 800 has a touch screen which i wouldnt think it great wearing gloves...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got the 500 a few weeks ago and have used it for training and racing. What a great bit of gear! If you don't need the maps to follow...(I usually know where I'm riding to). then save some $ and go with the 500. Now I have the 500, I don't wish I'd got the 800 instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge 500 v 800? [superr61] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got my 705 refurbished with heart rate monitor and cadence for $349.

Supposedly the 800 works with gloves.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge 500 v 800? [inaba116] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm liking that added touchscreen because I froze my old 205 unit because my brow sweat used to fall right on the buttons and over time it froze the buttons where they no longer can be depressed. I'm just wondering whether the touchscreen works with gloves on?

Kona Kev
Go Reston Area Triathletes (RATS)!
Sponsored by Hammer Nutrition, Bonzai Sports, and DeSoto
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How often do you get lost riding! For me, rarely, and there is more than enough screens and data and gimmickry on the 500 to measure gauge my cycling effort
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge 500 v 800? [Brind-Surch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
something is that 800 has a touch screen which i wouldnt think it great wearing gloves...

It amazing does work with gloves. Teammate got an early one and we were trying it out with gloves on. I was surprised

Quote | Reply
Just got the 800. Lots of great cyber monday deals, so makes it a little less expensive. I upgraded from a 305, and so far really like it. I didn't get the bundle, since I already had the HR and cadence sensors. Asked for the maps for Christmas. The screen is a little harder to read then the 305 (slightly), but the touch screen works great with or without gloves. It also records my power data, so one computer does it all. Up to 10 fields and multiple screens make it easy to customize however you want.

I'll keep the 305 on my TT bike since I don't race with the PowerTap, but don't see any problem using the 800 for a road race.
Last edited by: R900: Dec 9, 10 15:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have mentioned it really comes down to whether or not you want to use the maps feature. And if so, how much is that worth to you.

I've got a 500... use it on my road bike, tri bike, mountain bike, cyclocross bike. Its pretty fantastic and does just about everything you could want (except maps).
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge 500 v 800? [nnewton123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up buying the 500 and love it. The mapping would have been nice when traveling/visiting family etc, but overall i can complain at all. It has great power meter data fields and is the perfect size. I actualy don't know where i would have fit the 800 on my aerobar setup. Honestly when i get lost i just take my wife's iphone on the ride and use the navigation on there.

My only complaint is the visibility of all data fields, in some light conditions it can be rather difficult to see.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge 500 v 800? [charlesn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How often do you get lost riding! For me, rarely, and there is more than enough screens and data and gimmickry on the 500 to measure gauge my cycling effort

I think you've nailed it. In many ways I find the Edge 500 the perfect all around cycling device: Training, racing, screwing around.

The Edge 800 is great if you do one very specific thing: Wander.

For me, I find I don't do a ton of wandering. If I was going out and riding brand new routes each weekend - then it's ideal. But, like most triathletes - I ride the same routes over and over and over again. So, I don't use the mapping. If I was going for a cross-country trip, then I'd aim for the Edge 800 to get me there - it's great for that. But otherwise, save the couple hundred bucks and enjoy little blue.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At that price (for the 800), I'll stick with my Joule.
Quote Reply