Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tanita Ironman Scale Reviews Anyone?
Quote | Reply
Went to the Tanita Scale sales dude at IM FLA, got some really "off" readings. Anyone review this or buy it & have other testing done that doesn't line up with what the Tanita Scale (top of the line model) says?

Checked Amazon & same thing, lots of really "off" reviews. Okay if you want it for weight measurement but even that was off by about 10 lbs (even taking into account clothes). I've used 2 differently calibrated scales (even at a recent doc's visit) and both were similar (145 vs 147 for another trainer calibrated medical scale), and the Tanita had me at 158.8 lbs). Okay, had a pair of jeans on & a sweatshirt but the difference was pretty drastic to other "tuned" scales. Oh, the bio-whatever body fat number was really off compared to what a trained trainer with calipers & then another body fat % test (infrared) had measured--it was DOUBLE. So either I've gained a lot of weight & fat since Kona, despite being likely at one of my lowest body fat %'s in my life recently, or this Tanita Ironman Scale is way off. Either way, the info online convinced me not to purchase one of these, as well as what I believe to be some goofy numbers from a technology that isn't quite accurate. Given this info, my hope was to use it for additional info like hydration levels--but would this even be accurate? Who knows... **I know, check to see if the pee color is clear, but was looking for a more accurate metric/number that hopefully the scale would be able to provide.

Anyone? Reviews?
Last edited by: Rocky M: Nov 8, 10 22:42
Quote Reply
Re: Tanita Ironman Scale Reviews Anyone? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Train more, fatty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have had and used one for the last five years. I don't think there is any argument that the numbers produced by running a current through the soles of your feet are not as accurate as traditional testing methods. My numbers are no exception.

What I did find however, was that the readings from the Tanita unit were consistent and repeatable - and in the end that is really what I want to know. Is my weight going up or down? Am I gaining or losing muscle at a constant weight? If you want lab-level accuracy for a medical journal study, I don't think this product will deliver for you. But for an inexpensive home product with repeatable readings that can give you an indication of what is happening with your body composition? It may be just the ticket.

--------------------------------------

http://www.whydoesgodhateamputees.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tanita Ironman Scale Reviews Anyone? [RichardS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you.

I use the scale in the same way - a consistent measure of any change that is or isnt going on - but i only pay attention to weight and the hydration reading.

I don't trust it for anything beyond that.

I brought the readings to my last doc's appointment and he had a good laugh - other than my weight the scale was considerably off target.
Quote Reply
Re: Tanita Ironman Scale Reviews Anyone? [camo76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I agree with you.

I use the scale in the same way - a consistent measure of any change that is or isnt going on - but i only pay attention to weight and the hydration reading.

I don't trust it for anything beyond that.

I brought the readings to my last doc's appointment and he had a good laugh - other than my weight the scale was considerably off target.

Agreed - weight seems close to accurate - hydration seems to flucuate similar to how I "feel" - a good gauge. Fat % varies greatly and inversely to water %.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How timely. I just ordered the BC-549 Plus model this morning. I went on the Amazon.com site and there were only five reviews and those were for the basic BC-549 but all were quite positive. I want to use in my chiro office for a few patients who have weight issues along with a weight loss/nutrition computer program that I'm purchasing. Even if its not 100% accurate I think it can still be used as long as its consistant.
Quote Reply
Re: Tanita Ironman Scale Reviews Anyone? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Tanita, not sure if it is the Ironman model, but it is one of the "higher end" models they sell.

I find it to be VERY consistent as long as the user is consistent. I used mine every day for a couple months to see how accurate and/or consistent it is. The trick is to use it at the same time of day and after consistent intake of H2O, using the bathroom and a few hours AFTER exercise (long enough after to adequately rehydrate). I used it immediately upon arriving at home from work each day at 5pm. I didn't chug any water immediately prior to stepping on the scale and I usually emptied my bladder just prior to leaving the office. My workouts were/are in the early morning and/or after I used the scale in the afternoon. I receive very consistent results. I find the "athlete" setting to most accurately reflect what I THINK my body fat % is. Either athlete setting or normal setting are both consistent.

I don't care about the accuracy of my body fat %, only a way to gauge my calorie intake needs and adjust in accordance with my training levels throughout the year.
Quote Reply
Re: Tanita Ironman Scale Reviews Anyone? [BCL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all for your answers, very helpful indeed. On the Amazon site, you can click on the star ratings & see what each one has to say. The 1-star ratings usually go into a bit more detail rather than the higher ratings. Nick is right btw, I need to train more! ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a body fat monitor a few years back, can't remember the brand name offhand but its not Tanita, but not a cheapo either (it wa $80). Anyway, I found that the scale will stick to a fixed number if I weigh myself repeatedly in the same setting, so the result is repeatable. However, this repeatability apppears to be programmed into the unit. I think this because, say after I weigh myself a couple of times and get the same number, I then weigh myself again holding an object and the weight figure changes, naturally. Right afterwards, I weigh myself again and the weight is sometimes off by 0.2lbs or sometimes even more from just a couple minutes before. So, the apparent repeatability of result is faked and I therefore always take the number with a grain of salt. Also, if I can't completely trust a basic weight measurement from the sacle, how can I trust the other stuff? I'm not sure I'll ever shell out good money on a body fat monitor again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this was the scale you were looking at but you wont get much more in depth than this.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...review-in-depth.html
Quote Reply
Re: Tanita Ironman Scale Reviews Anyone? [dmags311] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't get mine to read below 5% body fat, I'm wondering if it will go lower than that.
Quote Reply
Re: Tanita Ironman Scale Reviews Anyone? [stickboy1125] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine goes to 6.2%. ;)

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was pretty psyched when it measued my metabolic age at 34.....I ran around naked bragging to my wife that she has a 34 year old hunk! My bubble was quickly burst when she stepped on and it showed her metabolic age at 18! Lucky me!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Tanita Ironman Scale Reviews Anyone? [dmags311] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not sure if this was the scale you were looking at but you wont get much more in depth than this.

I would also look at the Withings scale. Rainmaker has a great review on it also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The biggest benefit IMO is the link through Garmin to Garmin Connect where all your readings are stored. I can look back at specific races, etc and see how I'm tracking. I also believe it is fairly accurate.
Quote Reply
Re: Tanita Ironman Scale Reviews Anyone? [hammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I would also look at the Withings scale. Rainmaker has a great review on it also.

Indeed, I LOVE the Withings scale.

If I had to do it all over, I'd buy two withings scales instead of one Tanita BC-1000 (ok, the fact that I still bought both is besides the point).

Reasons being:

1) While the Tanita give me more info, to me, it's generally useless info
2) I just want weight
3) Body fat (while on both), is interesting, isn't a metric I fret about unless I'm getting professionally tested
4) Both scales however were close on body fat once in their respect 'athlete modes' - which is fairly critical, I explain why in the review.

That said, none of these scales will magically cause weight loss. You still have to put in the work and have the right diet. It's just that the withings scale is more fun.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tanita Ironman Scale Reviews Anyone? [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you compared a cheaper scale (say a Taylor, ~ $40) to one of those fancy gadgets you like reviewing? I am not always looking to spend the most I can on a given item and my scale died a while ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Tanita Ironman Scale Reviews Anyone? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you guys are a bunch of old farts, my scale tells me that I'm 12! In actuallity I'm 29, and 12 is a bit young.

Make sure when you set the scale up that you put in 'athletic body type' and not 'regular body type' or it will give you high readings for body fat. Right now I'm around 10% on athletic mode but 15/16% if I switch it to non athletic.

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply