Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

High Bilirubin?
Quote | Reply
I get my blood tested through work every so often. I have high bilirubin again. This time it's higher than before, seems to be getting higher.

My bilirubin is 1.7 mg/dL. The good interval is between 0.0 - 1.2. Any idea what this means?

Other notables on the test:
RBC 5.00 interval: 4.10-5.60
Platelets 259 interval: 140-415
Hematocrit 43.8 - This used to be 38, so it's nice to see this high. Wife was sick earlier this year and I took some time off.
Vitamin D - 90.6 interval: 32-100

Thanks in advance!

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: High Bilirubin? [npearson99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
back in college, which was 20-ish yrs ago, had a health day at my work so went in and got tested for all the free stuff. my blood work actually came back with a bilirubin reading that was way high out of the normal range. wanted a second opinion so i went to a urologist i think, he took more blood, stuck his finger up my rear, didn't buy me dinner or anything but did tell me i had Gilbert Syndrome. pronounced so it sounds french though, jill-behr. something like that, i don't speak french so i'm doing the best i can. (being a simple kid from kansas at the time i preferred the more down to earth gill-bert pronunciation.) i had been jaundice as a kid so that kinda explained the yellow tint i used to have. again, this is going way back, but i think the doc said it's nothing to be concerned about. and i have had no issues, that i know of, since.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/...y/article/000301.htm

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has your doctor suggested an abdominal ultrasound?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have any symptoms of abdominal pain or nausea/vomiting with meals?

Did you have any liver enzymes (alkaline phosphatase, alanine transaminase, aspartate transaminase) done and, if so, were they abnormal?

Have you ever had blood transfusions, used IV drugs, or lived in a developing country? (don't answer these questions on the forum!)

If you have no symptoms and your liver enzymes are normal, you probably have Gilbert syndrome, which is nothing to be concerned about and requires no treatment. It's probably best to consult your doc.
Last edited by: donm: Oct 20, 10 22:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had Gilbert's syndrome my whole life. My Bili is usually near 4 and up to 6+ when I'm exercising hard. You'd think the sun exposure would lower it, but no, I turn yellow, especially my eyes.

As mentioned in a previous post about the enzymes, see a qualified doc just to be sure.

BTW, I have no other liver/health issues besides the hyperbilirubinenia (Gilbert's syndrome).

FF

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
Quote Reply
Re: High Bilirubin? [Flat frog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I many not be 100% sure but the bilirubin that you are talking about is NICU or neonate bilirubin that can be eliminated via light aka bili-lights, I believe your disease is the other bili ie. indirect therefore can not be eliminated this way.

I might have the indirect and direct mixed up but the idea is the same.

Member HED, Cervelo, De Soto Mafia
Quote Reply
Re: High Bilirubin? [Flat frog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>BTW, I have no other liver/health issues besides the hyperbilirubinenia (Gilbert's syndrome). <<

Same here. Just the occasional turning a bit yellow when overtired.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this is the only elevation on your chemistry panel, the diagnosis is indeed most likely Gilbert's Syndrome. It is higher when fasting. It does not represent any danger to you and some people can go as high as 5 or 6. It will always be an unconjugated hyperbilirubinemia which means that if the total bilirubin is fractionated into conjugated and unconjugated components, e.g. direct and indirect bilirubin, the indirect level will be high. If you have other liver enzyme elevation, AST (SGOT) or ALT (SGPT), Alkaline Phosphatase, then you may have other problems and need to see your doc.
Quote Reply
Re: High Bilirubin? [roubaixman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have any other high tests, liver stuff was all in the normal range.

Does Gilbert's syndrome cause fatigue? Is there anyway I can combat that? I was fasting when I did this test.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gilbert's syndrome does not cause fatigue. It is not something you have to combat. Think of it as being blonde rather than brunette. You don't have to dye your hair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
High Bilirubin signifies excess hemoglobin in the blood. This could be caused by hemolysis of red blood cells (anemia, are you iron deficient?) or problems with liver function. Both are issues that could make you tired as well. You may want to have liver tests performed.

good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x5 on Gilbert's. Does not cause any problems, just the weirdness in blood test, yellow when over tired.

When it's good, it's good. When it's bad, you suffer.
Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had high bilirubin on my last physical. I read on-line (so it must be true) that an increase in exercise can elevate your bilirubin. At the time of my physical, I was really pushing it, so I blew off the follow-up tests.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto on Gilberts. I've known about mine for 40 years and agree with the blonde/brunette example.

Rather than ask us, why not pose your question to the medical person who ordered the blood test? He/she would have your entire medical record and see how this single laboratory abnormality fits (or doesn't fit) with the rest of your profile.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply