Quote | Reply
http://www.ironmanaugusta.com/

FYI

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 Bibs and Waves Posted [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like they did not flip the order from last year for AG's, feel bad for the M40-44 & M45-49. Second year in a row they are at the back of the pack 90 minutes after the pro start.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 Bibs and Waves Posted [bmowry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do they decide this stuff. My last HIM, I was near very back (1+ hours after pros), this time, I am right behind the pros.

I am 30-34M. Obviously, I am happier with this one to get me out of the potential later heat, but it was nice in the previous one that I was passing/legally drafting the entire bike ride.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is brutal. Transition area closes at 6:00 and us 40 somethings have to wait 3 hours to start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any news on current water temp?
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 Bibs and Waves Posted [bwain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nevermind.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/...amp;site_no=02197000

Looks as though it is at 76 right now. I would be willing to bet a lot of money that the will be able to find a "magic spot" come race day that doesn't even make it borderline.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't wait to start at 8:58am. Nice time to get a good compression effect from my wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by gregtryin [ In reply to ]
Re: Augusta 70.3 Bibs and Waves Posted [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck to everyone. Wish I could take your spot, Greg. Haha.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 Bibs and Waves Posted [BigPimp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
transition closes at 7:15AM

Damn, that's a cold ass honkey.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 Bibs and Waves Posted [quakertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Good luck to everyone. Wish I could take your spot, Greg. Haha.

Well, it's a good thing I am not doing it, I had the wrong weekend. So, I deleted my earlier post with the weather forecast.

Mea culpa. Thought it was THIS weekend.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just makes me less inclined to race a WTC 70.3. Too many people and it seems that the M45-49 wave starts later in the race more often.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 Bibs and Waves Posted [kev7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year the M40-44 AG outperformed the M35-39 AG at least at the pointy end of the field. Why on earth would they put one of the historically fastest groups at the tail end behind some of the slowest athletes? This seems really dangerous on the bike. I anticipate being under 2:20 on the bike as I have ridden the course three times in past 6 weeks in 2:20-2:22 obeying traffic laws on training wheels. It scares me to think about the differential speeds between me and some of the BOP riders in waves starting in front of me. Why make the bike any more dangerous than it already is with 3500 athletes on the road? What if someone pulls out to pass as a significantly faster rider is already in the left side of the lane? Carnage! Stupid, stipid, stupid!
If anyone from WTC is reading this thread let me make it perfectly clear: I think this wave assigment is dangerous and I think you should be held liable for any accidents resulting from mismatched athletes on the same piece of road at the same time due to hare brained wave assignments!
Plus there are multiple M40-44 waves so I can't even race heads up for a WC slot. Completely bogus. Start us all at once so we can RACE! Don't say there are multiple waves in the same AG for safety sake. That is complete BS as the faster AG's would be up front if safety and not the almighty $$$ were of any concern to WTC.
WTF man? WTF?

Primum Non Nocere, except to Kempy!
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 Bibs and Waves Posted [Jeff B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe you would like Rev 3 better? Less people on the course.

Just a thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 Bibs and Waves Posted [TriMasterLover] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I might. Doing AGS 70.3 as that is my birth place and my parents live there and begged me to come do it. Missed it last year as it was 2 week after IMMoo. Don't think I will be doing it again as next year I'll be 45 and get to race in the absolute last wave! I've heard great thing about REV3. I think there is on in Knoxville which is in driving distance. Want to support them if they are an alternative to the 800 lb gorilla.

Primum Non Nocere, except to Kempy!
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 Bibs and Waves Posted [Jeff B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That is complete BS as the faster AG's would be up front if safety and not the almighty $$$ were of any concern to WTC.
WTF man? WTF?

How does this logic work? How does the almighty dollar having you in a late wave group?

I just don't follow it.

Note: I think it sucks that you are in a late wave. I was expecting to be in a late wave this year because thought they would flip flop from last year (ala new orleans) but they didn't. But was ready to take my lumps...

In Reply To:
(ala new orleans)

I didn't know that NOLA flip flopped this year (I didn't do inaugural, but did 2010). Hopefully they will flip it again and I will be near front of 2011. I went off at 8:04 last year and it was not ideal.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After starting in the last wave in Boise for the last two years I finally get to go first in Augusta! Although this race is double the size which is absolutely crazy. Safety is going to be a big problem on the bike. I can't imagine the logistics of this race with the start being away from transition and a lack of parking around transition. At least this year I don't have to walk up a giant hill to transition like in Boise.

I'm with a lot of others that in the future I'll be looking at REV3 or other local races.

Good luck on race day.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 Bibs and Waves Posted [TriArmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just read the parking stuff in the athlete packet. It looks pretty grim.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's really not bad. You have to walk one or two blocks. The shuttles are well organized. Plus the bike course is spread out since a single loop. Outside of the packet pick up, the race is very well organized, even with start, finish, and transition all being somewhere different.

Can you offer some advice to a non - local driving up on Friday, not staying in race hotel.

Where is the best place for the wife to park so that we can both walk to transition and that while I am on course she can walk over to finish and when the whole thing is done, we can walk to car?

any help is appreciated.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Can you offer some advice to a non - local driving up on Friday, not staying in race hotel.

Where is the best place for the wife to park so that we can both walk to transition and that while I am on course she can walk over to finish and when the whole thing is done, we can walk to car?

any help is appreciated.

A local church or charity sold race day parking spaces at registration in several lots around town for about $20. One is a field next to the swim start and a couple of blocks from the finish. My wife dropped me off at transition race morning, parked in this lot, and I met here there after taking the shuttle from transition to the swim start. She dropped me off and parked near transition after the race for me to retrieve my gear. This worked well and I would do the same thing this year barring any better ideas.

The run course consumes a good part of downtown, so be careful about where you park in order to avoid sitting around all day if you finish early. There is a field near transition, but it sits on the run course. The buses to swim start were for athletes only last year.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 Bibs and Waves Posted [Trifecta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the sport drink will still be Gatorade Endurance. The Athlete Guide lists Gatorade and still lists it as a sponser on the last page.

http://www.ironmanaugusta.com/2010IMAGHAI.pdf

I hope that is true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Looks like the sport drink will still be Gatorade Endurance. The Athlete Guide lists Gatorade and still lists it as a sponser on the last page.

http://www.ironmanaugusta.com/2010IMAGHAI.pdf

I hope that is true.

I have that confirmed via email (prior to race packet coming out). On bike course, it will be orange in 24 oz bottles, on run it will be lemon lime.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 Bibs and Waves Posted [TriArmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike course saftey will NOT be an issue, unless YOU make it one.
Quote Reply

Prev Next