Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for
Quote | Reply
 Would you consider buying one used and or on ebay ? What should i look out for? Do they go bad ? I guess they would but really have no idea. i do like the idea or riding against someone. Can they be hooked up ride with people in different countries or places ? do just the newer ones have the liuqid man or whoever he is ? thanks

Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read on here recently (try a search) that CompuTrainer is coming out with a major software upgrade (or something) very soon. You may want to wait and see if the upgrade is something worth having for yourself. In any event, it should drive the price down for existing systems.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [TrueGrit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will do a search in morning thanks. have to go to bed now ramped up my running again and looks like I came down with a cold . Probably not connected but just got the kids washed up and am exhausted now. thinkit is sleep time. which means i will be up at 4 but thats not a bad thing.

Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [TrueGrit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think a software upgrade would be compatible with the older hardware.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the info on the software upgrade that TrueGrit was referring to.

http://www.racermate.net/...c.php?f=2&t=2898
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [bartturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The software upgrade does work with older hardware. I think I heard around $150-$200 for the upgrade. If you buy new from Racer Mate you get the upgrade for free.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [DAGMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The software upgrade does work with older hardware. I think I heard around $150-$200 for the upgrade. If you buy new from Racer Mate you get the upgrade for free.

I'm pretty sure the upgrade will work with older hardware, they just had to draw the line somewhere and will only provide the upgrade for free to those who purchased a new system June 1, 2010 or later. (see link I provided above.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run a computrainer multirider center for the last 4 years or so. What to look for in wear and tear on the trainer.

1. I'm not sure how they put them on but the metal sleeves they use that match up to the skewer end will eventually fall off. Once they do they're something you'll have to mess with every time you ride and may squeak like hell as the skewer will wobble back and forth until it's replaced. You can replace it yourself but it will never be as solid as it was from the factory.

2. As you use it more and more the screws that are used to tighten the bike to the trainer will be harder to use.

3. Cables and connections will wear out eventually over time and will need to be replaced. Racermate doesn't sell this stuff for cheap.

4 I'm listing this last but it's most important. Depending on how much it's been used and how, the load generator or the control unit will just stop working. The load generator is prone to overheating if it's been used for mostly uphill rides as it has no cooling system other than fans. So if you like to ride alp d'huez a lot you'll be replacing that thing about once every 18 months or so. The control unit will just stop working eventually and need to be replaced. No warning, it just wont callibrate. This happens at the rate that we can build a trainer from extra parts we buy on the side in about 10 minutes.

P.S. Racermate tech support isn't so great. And the software updates that I know of are the real course video being integrated into the multirider system so that shouldn't really impact you much.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [ECE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for info guys I am looking into buying a used one now.
Will the computrainer take them back and replace the metal sleeve ? Do they do overhauls ?
Will computrainer work on windows xp ?
If at home can it be hooked up to a projector and put on a big screen ? I guess that would depend on the hook ups inback of progector ?

Quote | Reply
I don't have the answers to the hardware replacement questions.

The software works on XP and W7. You just have to intall it directly on C drive versus C drive\Programs folder in Vista or W7 (this means you need to hit the backspace button to clear the word programs in the default install location. If you can turn your computer on, you have all the needed know how).

The video-out will be dependent on your computer set up. For a projector connect to your monitor output. If you have an HDMI out on your computer then you can use an HDMI cable to a flat screen TV. In reality this is a computer - projector/monitor issue that is independent of the trainer.
Last edited by: J_R: Sep 6, 10 6:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if they'll replace the sleeve or not, we have an engineering department that pieces them back together with instructions they got from Racermate. My feeling is that they'd tell you how to fix it and if you can't do that on your own they'll tell you to buy a new one.

The question on overhauls is a kind of. We have never sent the frame back to them to fix but we have sent a good number of the load generators back to them to fix or in many cases I think we get a swap for one they have refurbished previously.

Problem with their support is that you can call and leave a message but in many cases you'll never hear back from them. I've had good luck getting answers from them on their message board.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you are looking at buying a used computrainer but considering that an upgrade is coming in the very near future it might be more cost effective to buy a new one. I believe computrainer has done a ST group buy in the past and this might be something to consider. If you decide to go the group buy route then I'd be lining up at the door for one as well (assuming the wife doesn't shoot me first).

Quote | Reply
I am going to be buying one in the next month or so, if anyone wants to go in. Right now, according to the website you can get two for $1474 per....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, I have been looking for a while and have been patient, found one last week on Craigslist for $800 that someone was willing to ship, supposedly 20hrs actual use. It was from 2005, and it cost be $200 in racermate spare parts (wireless HR monitor, controller upgrade, and some odd and ends) but it worked out, the unit really was barely used. If your patient you can probably find a unit that someone bought on a whim and has sat on a shelf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have heard such bad things about the reliability of CT's that I would be very circumspect in buying one used. Reading the comments from the poster who has worked in a CT training facility for years, it seems he is coyly saying to you that they are a minatenance nightmare. The CT facility I ride at has 20-25% non-funcitoning at any one time and the cadence is routinely not working on many (which is a pretty big issue given that CT wattage is set to 90rpm). The other poster seems to say that it takes them having a spare one around to keep the other's running. They are superbe training tools and you might get a good one used, and light riding might do fine, but I would really check it out before I bought one given that the load units fail without warning and CT's customer service is so poor.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [jmaley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a group buy would be interesting, i'd probably be in. i have been watching eBay/CL lately and have been curious like bmanners.

expensive secondhand electronics that take such abuse as a load generator concern me. they are going for +/- 1k on eBay.

then you factor in the $200 software upgrade, and a new one becomes appealing...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had my Computrainer since 2000 and ride it 2-3 times a week year round.

The only problems I have had are with one DIN cable going bad, and 2 cadence sensors going bad.

The load generator has been rock solid.

I am a heavy sweater and there is some rust/corrosion on the base unit.

Quote Reply
Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guy's i think I am out on the group buy ( i might be sorry later.) but talked to a guy with ne and have a pretty good feeling about one. he is a few tie IM finisher so is one of us and i would hope not want to ruin his rep by selling me something bad. Plus it is only a year old, looks new in pics and is including 7 course vids. just not NYC and the highlight real of me crashing. damn I got to buy that one now :-)

Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [reggiedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't say that the computrainers are maintenance nightmares, what I'm saying is that like anything that gets used a lot it requires maintenance. Our trainers get used on average about 20 hours a week, and depending on the time of the year it ebbs and flows. We rarely have to change out a control unit or cables but we do have to do it from time to time. We got the current trainers we have 4 years ago, in that time they've seen a lot of riding, much more than I think an individual would put on them being in their house. In that time I think we have replaced 2 of the frames that are used to hold everything together and contain the screws that attach to the skewer. So that being said if you compared the hours of use vs amount of maintenance to other equipment in our gym I'd say it's pretty low on the maintenance time list.

The wiring for the cadence sensors can be very flaky from my experience but I haven't a clue what you're talking about power readings being set to cadence.

If their is a knock on Racermate inc that is the customer service. I think it's a pretty small operation but that doesn't excuse the fact that they need to support the client. As for the load generators failing without warning, I think that's they way it goes for most electronics. One day it works the next day it doesn't.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am interested in a group buy depending upon final price. Not willing to pay $1475 now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"but I haven't a clue what you're talking about power readings being set to cadence."
------------------------------
x2

Quote Reply
Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd also be interested in a group buy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought mine used off the ST classifieds about 5 years ago, ride it most of the winter since I am a wussy, never an issue. YMMV.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"but I haven't a clue what you're talking about power readings being set to cadence."
------------------------------
x2
x3
That statement makes no sense.

I run a multi-rider centre with Computrainers. We don't even bother with the cadence sensors. It's effort level (power) and duration that matters.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Training Plans -- Power Meter Hire -- SRM Sales Australia -- cyclecoach.com -- My Blog -- Sydney Turbo Studio
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems to me that they set the wattage to track precisely at 90 rpm. i.e., if you want 200 watts to be your 100% target, then you have to ride 90 rpm to follow the profile of the workout. If the program is calling for 90% (180 watts) and you ride at less than 90 rpm, your power output will be below 90%/180 watts. Maybe that is particular to the set-up at the place I ride? In that case, having the cadence sensor working is important.

As for maintenance, all I am reporting is the reliability at facility that I ride at is not great. I know it is very frustrating for the manager and I see it first hand. I wouldn't want to go to a gym that had 8 treadmills and have to try different ones to see which has all the functions working.
Quote Reply

Prev Next