Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mounting Cycle Computer on Stem ?
Quote | Reply
So, I need to mount my cycle computer to my stem rather than my handlebars or aerobars. Has anybody done a DIY mount that will sit perpendicular to you stem so you can mount a standard cycle computer? Thanks.
Last edited by: vibrolux: Aug 27, 10 7:50
Quote Reply
Re: Mounting Cycle Computer on Stem ? [vibrolux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what kind of computer are we talking here?

cateye & powertap mounts are both able to rotate so you can mount them on either stem or bars...
Quote Reply
Re: Mounting Cycle Computer on Stem ? [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a Cateye that is about 7 years old...The attachment, which is meant to be mounted to a handlebar is attached to the base. I have to look closer, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't rotate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well depending on how yours mounts, you might be able to pick up a new mount.

the new ones are a rubber strap that you tighten a ring around kind of like a belt.

the actual part where the computer mounts is able to snap in & out of the rubber strap, so it can be turned accordingly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just mount it sideways. It's really not the end of the world.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used an old shoe lace for the past 2 years but have recently stepped into the high speed, low drag world of zip ties. Stick the mount on the stem, zip tie through the mount and around the stem, problem solved. It looks ridiculous but it is easier to read and manipulate than if it was clocked 90 degrees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.profile-design.com/.../ucm----ucm-xl-.html

you can make your own with a small piece of PVC tube and zip ties or some kind of band.

Quote | Reply
A friend of mine has his computer mounted on the stem of his mtn bike. It's not directly on the top of the stem, it's mounted to the side of the stem. Not sure how, I haven't inspected the mount.

I mounted a cateye to my stem once. I removed the handlebar mount from the base (it's not obvious but it IS removable) and then I used a hot glue gun to glue that base to the top of my stem. The computer could still be slid in and out of the base.
Quote Reply
Re: Mounting Cycle Computer on Stem ? [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ne ideas on how to mount my polar watch to the stem ..I used to have it mounted in-between aero bars but now I use a hydration system there so I've been trying to figure out a way to mount my 725x onto the stem n I'm at a loss for ideas at the moment..ne help/ideas will be greatly appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: Mounting Cycle Computer on Stem ? [droppedWoW2Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, here's what I did. I found an old Profile Design Mount that was supposed to be used for "aero bar mounting" your computer. I took it apart so I was left with the tube. Got out my Dremel and ground it till the shape that would go against my stem (perpendicular) matched the contour of the stem (took about 30 seconds). Drill a hole through the tube near the edge that would go against the stem (drill hole all the way through). Fed a zip tie through and zipped to stem.

This method would work exactly the same for a Heart Rate Monitor. I would think you'd need a tube of something at least the diameter of a handlebar, that should work. You could really use any type of plastic or PVC tubing. Easy as pie.

Good Luck.
Quote Reply