Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anything special about putting bar tape on aero bars?
Quote | Reply
My LBS didn't bother to do so. They like the look of the bare carbon. So do I, but I still want some tape at the very least on the pursuit bars and probably also by the shifters for sweat/liquid management during an IM.

Any tricks I should know about as far as doing a neat job by the ends (shifters and brakes)?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Anything special about putting bar tape on aero bars? [Frenchman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While there are a number of acceptable techniques, I suggest beginning from the tip and using a short section of vinyl electrical tape to secure the lose end of the tape under the aerobar extension at exactly the seam between the shifter and the aerobar extensions. The electrical tape holds the handlebar tape in place as you get started, disappearing under the handlebar tape as you wrap backwards toward the rider.

Style and precision count for everything here- there is no room for sloppiness.

Symmetrically wind the tape toward the center of the bike on each bar extension. They should be a mirror image of one another- the wraps and overlaps occuring in exactly the same place- at the same angle, on each extension. Whe you view them from the rider's seated perspective, they are perfectly matching.

Wind back far enough to evenly cover any logos and allow room for you to "choke up" on your grip when you climb in the aero posture for a few pedal strokes. don;t leave a logo half exposed- it's sloppy. If your aerobar extension says "Profile" or "VisionTech" on it, either cover the entire logo with tape or leave the entrie logo exposed and legible. Half covering a logo isn't pro.

Use black vinyl electrical tape to finish the end of the wrap and cut the end of the handlebar tape so that it will be perfectly perpendicular to the aero extension when secured by your finishing wrap of black electrical tape. If you put some stretch on the black vinyl electrical tape it should kind of "shrink" or conform to the end of the handlebar tape creating a shrink-wrapped affect. Align the turns of electrical tape perfectly: A rider stares at this during a race. If it sloppy or misaligned it is distracting.

Perfection is the key here. It pays to make it look finished and nice.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anything special about putting bar tape on aero bars? [Frenchman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Frenchman and All,

Depends on whether you are looking for appearance or function.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=2638268#2638268

Cheers,

Neal

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If all you are after is a good gripping surface due to moisture I would highly recommend a $2 sheet of skateboard deck tape. A tiny strip on top of the braking section where your palms rest when up on the base bars and a section where you grasp your extensions. If you want to get spazticly hyper analytical here I'm sure you could say it saves you .03448791 seconds over an IM course too if you need that motivation;)

If you run a setup that has totally internalized brake/shift housing it's especially clean as well. I prefer zero tape anywhere, but I'm also one of those anti carbon dorks so what do I know. If you want I will PM you a pic of how it looks in a couple of days when my new base bars get here(hopefully!)
Quote Reply
Re: Anything special about putting bar tape on aero bars? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom. I may elect for white electrical tape (the bar tape is white, as in the bike I borrowed until I got the Fuji, and I didn't like the wad of black electrical tape) :p

So... The start is the tricky part for me. You are saying that there is no tucking anywhere: you just start with a full turn over the very end of the bars (the tape helping the start so it doesn't slip, but is covered by that first round) and then you start moving at an angle?

I think when I did my road bike (which worked just fine) I overlapped the tape ~1/3rd of the width? Does that seem right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use very thin wrap from the local Tennis shop. Can't remember the brand but it's about as thick as cloth tape for hockey sticks and works great.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No tucking - overlap only. I just did this.

In Reply To:
Thanks Tom. I may elect for white electrical tape (the bar tape is white, as in the bike I borrowed until I got the Fuji, and I didn't like the wad of black electrical tape) :p

So... The start is the tricky part for me. You are saying that there is no tucking anywhere: you just start with a full turn over the very end of the bars (the tape helping the start so it doesn't slip, but is covered by that first round) and then you start moving at an angle?

I think when I did my road bike (which worked just fine) I overlapped the tape ~1/3rd of the width? Does that seem right?

That is correct. There is no tuck. You cut the ends at an angle and start at the shifters or brake levers. No tuck anywhere.

I like my tape thick on the base bar, so, I overlap about 2/3 of the tape. If you like it thin, then, yes, do 1/3 of the width.

I use white bar tape and white electrical tape. Looks much better than the black.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Anything special about putting bar tape on aero bars? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Symmetrically wind the tape toward the center of the bike on each bar extension.

Any specific reason for this? I always wind the tape toward the outside of the bike, exactly the opposite of what you say here. Not sure why I do it that way, I just always have.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bet sure to put some by the brakes. when you go to hit the brakes with post-swim wet hands you don't want to slide right off the bike!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plastic tape (look here: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...stic%20tape;#2919777 ) works better than electric tape. It doesn't gum up like electric tape does under sweaty hands.

Tom D. alluded to this in his description, but you want to wrap the two sides in opposite directions. Just as with a normal roady drop bar, you want the tape to tighten on itself when you pull on the bar. Since you'll be wrapping from the shifters or brake levers back, the tape goes out as you go under the bar and in to the center as you go over.

Overlap about 1/3 sounds right. Most tape that I've used is thicker in the middle so the overlap leaves a relatively smooth surface when you're done.

You're right the start is the tricky part. People like Tom who've done this countless times can probably do it with their eyes closed. I make an angled cut and do a couple of dry runs to get the angle right before I tape the end down. I also use the fitted piece to cut the other side, remembering to hold the pieces back to back since the tape will wrap in the opposite direction.
Quote Reply
Re: Anything special about putting bar tape on aero bars? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
bet sure to put some by the brakes. when you go to hit the brakes with post-swim wet hands you don't want to slide right off the bike!

Yep, this is my current setup dilemma...

Just leaving the brake stubs raw carbon looks cool, but has proven to be too slippery. I don't need a lot of grip there, so am going to try out a simple wrap of just plain electrical tape. Anyone doing this? Curious to hear if it holds up well over time...

I was using hockey tape, and was loving that, but that started to break down during sweaty rides and was leaving gummy residue on my hands after a while. If the cheapy electrical tape solution doesn't work, I'll try tennis racket wrap next...

Cheers, Chris

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems I'm often contra-Tom Demerley and I'm so again here. First, I use tennis grip tape, not bicycle bar tape. It's thinner and has better grip (but it doesn't last quite as long). I start at the far end from the shifters and wrap my way towards the shifters. By doing so, no tape is required where I start the wrap (cleaner look and more area to grip). I simply wrap the tape on itself for a full 360 degrees before I start angling it towards the shifters. It holds 100%. At the first point where the tape reaches the shifter body, I start to cut the tape with scissors at an angle that allows the wrap to wrap tightly into place right along where the shifter meets the extension. (You don't have to be all that precise about this. The tape is forgiving and you can fudge it into a nice fit.) I secure it in place with electrical tape wraped twice around ... the first time around rather snuggly and the second time snug, but not stretched (if it's stretched, it'll pull free more easily). I do the same out at the ends of the basebar because, as Jackmott said, you don't want to come out of T1 with wet hands (or be racing on a very hot day with sweaty hands) and go for the brakes only to have them slide right off. One of our local tri guys did that just this weekend and broke his elbow in the ensuing crash.

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Re: Anything special about putting bar tape on aero bars? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
Symmetrically wind the tape toward the center of the bike on each bar extension.

Any specific reason for this? I always wind the tape toward the outside of the bike, exactly the opposite of what you say here. Not sure why I do it that way, I just always have.

I would assume that, just like a road bar, it's so that if you grip you naturally tighten the tape rather than loosening it up. Since your hands are on the outside of the bars, gripping and rotating would be inward, in the same direction the tape is wound.
Quote Reply
Re: Anything special about putting bar tape on aero bars? [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Psycholist/hydro/Tom:

First, thanks for the plastic tape tip. It took me forever to get the gunk out of a slipping electrical tape after I rested on it while on a long ride (basically riding the elbow of the Cobra bar, which is wide, like I would road hoods).

Second, what about psycholist's suggestion of just starting at the non-shifter/brake end? if that indeed works and won't slip even wen pushed from the end (i.e. hands half on tape half on bar) that may be great.

hydro, I am not sure I understand the "angled cuts." Can't you simply transition from angled to the last wrap on itself by relying on the bar tape's stretch?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Second, what about psycholist's suggestion of just starting at the non-shifter/brake end? if that indeed works and won't slip even wen pushed from the end (i.e. hands half on tape half on bar) that may be great.

Further to "my" method is the fact that the seams are "with the wind" rather than against it. In other words, the tape doesn't present leading edges to the wind as it overlaps. I'm sure this is worth .000000000001 watts of savings ... and that only when you're out of the aerobars. But still ...
Quote Reply
Re: Anything special about putting bar tape on aero bars? [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But of course ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone ever try this: Putting a layer of golf grip tape down before the bar tape. It's basically masking tape that is tacky on both sides. When used for golf grips, it is wrapped around the end of the shaft and the grip is slid over it (with the help of some solvent.) I've never tried it, but it seems like it might provide a really secure base for your tape.
Quote Reply
Re: Anything special about putting bar tape on aero bars? [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anyone ever try this: Putting a layer of golf grip tape down before the bar tape. It's basically masking tape that is tacky on both sides. When used for golf grips, it is wrapped around the end of the shaft and the grip is slid over it (with the help of some solvent.) I've never tried it, but it seems like it might provide a really secure base for your tape.

I did try that once...but my bike kept veering to the right after that ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much do you charge? Would I have to cover your airfare to Denver?

I'm afraid I can't execute.
Quote Reply
Re: Anything special about putting bar tape on aero bars? [Ti T'war] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I use very thin wrap from the local Tennis shop. Can't remember the brand but it's about as thick as cloth tape for hockey sticks and works great.

Yep - Tennis overgrip is the best grip out there. Thin and really good for heavy sweaters - not slip. Get the tacky kind and avoid white as it gets dirty quickly. Cheaper than bar tape too.
Quote Reply