Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bruised/Cracked Ribs Recovery Time?
Quote | Reply
So I took a spill on my MTB this morning landed on my side and took a good blow to my ribs.

They are at least bruised and maybe cracked as well. I dont feel any bumps or anything that makes me think that they are broken. What kind of recovery am I looking at, before I can run and ride again, realistically?

They are injured low and on my side towards my back. They dont really impair breathing, except when I take really big breathes. Mainly, they feel very tender and hurt when I move certain ways.
Quote Reply
Re: Bruised/Cracked Ribs Recovery Time? [jamiewilson3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tomorrow they will feel worse. It's like DOMS for bone!

Sorry to hear about your spill. I have one crazy friend who ran through having cracked ribs. Not to give you any ideas.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Aug 16, 10 1:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8 weeks, maybe 6, if you're lucky.

I stumbled on uneven pavement 2 weeks ago. My plastic old style Polar strap hit the pavement. Still hurts, especially swimming and after a long run. (And, sleeping.) Not happy about waiting the next 4-6 weeks for it to go away. 4 years ago, when I broke my first ones, I thought I'd be the exception--nope--8 weeks.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MAN UP!!! Broke a rib 2 summers ago, never stopped training or playing football (which is how I broke the rib).
It hurts but so does being awesome and winning races.....
Also, sleeping on the side that is broken is actually better than sleeping on your back, stomach or non-broken side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when this very unsalutary event happened to me i was told healing would take about 6 weeks. i was mostly ok in about 4, but completely ok at 6 weeks. without a doubt, the first week was the worst. after that some healing had started, and i'd also worked out how to get in bed, out of bed, and turn over (not a possibility for a while) with the least pain. it was definitely a new skill set.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So I took a spill on my MTB this morning landed on my side and took a good blow to my ribs.

They are at least bruised and maybe cracked as well. I dont feel any bumps or anything that makes me think that they are broken. What kind of recovery am I looking at, before I can run and ride again, realistically?

They are injured low and on my side towards my back. They dont really impair breathing, except when I take really big breathes. Mainly, they feel very tender and hurt when I move certain ways.

Depends on your personal recovery rate, but 4-8 weeks. I had a cracked rib, and it felt fine at 5 weeks until I went golfing. Another 3 after that idiocy. :-/

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was about 4.5 weeks before I could resume a halfway normal training schedule

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe sooner than you think. Just keep it easy.

I badly bruised mine bad about a week before I was going to run this marathon. I didn't do any kind of training that week before the race. Trying to sleep in bed was the worst part of it. Asked the doctor if I could still try to run the marathon. Doctor said I wouldn't do any further damage, but will run in pain and will run slower than ever before. At the expo the evening before, I went to the kinesio (?) taping booth and had them tape my ribs for me. The next morning I ran the marathon, plus I succeeded with my new time goal for that day and ran it under four hours. I did run slower and it hurt, but I took some tylenol along the way, but I'm glad I did the race. Of course, then I laid off the training for a couple of weeks and then started running again and each day ribs felt better and better.

Why did I run a marathon the week after this injury? I was doing the "Marathons of Texas" series and this was the final one. Honestly, I really wanted the finishers jacket for completing all three. I have the jacket now, but I should have ordered a larger size jacket than I did. Oh well..
Quote Reply
Re: Bruised/Cracked Ribs Recovery Time? ["G"] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the info from everyone thus far.

Sleeping last night was not too bad. I had to gingerly roll over whenever I would move, but once in a comfortable position, there were no problems. It feels a little better today. The pain feels more localized to a specific spot than yesterday.

I will probably not do anything today and maybe just take the dogs for the walk. I may try an easy spin on the bike tomorrow, depending on how I feel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks for all of the info from everyone thus far.

Sleeping last night was not too bad. I had to gingerly roll over whenever I would move, but once in a comfortable position, there were no problems. It feels a little better today. The pain feels more localized to a specific spot than yesterday.

I will probably not do anything today and maybe just take the dogs for the walk. I may try an easy spin on the bike tomorrow, depending on how I feel.

I'd do the trainer. Bumps will hurt.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Bruised/Cracked Ribs Recovery Time? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell me about it.....the 4 miles that I had to pedal out of the trails after I fell was pretty interesting.
Quote Reply