Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Coffee or Soda, better or worse?
Quote | Reply
What's better, or worse?

So for years i have avoided becoming a coffee drinker, mostly to avoid becoming a slave to the caffiene. I'm approaching 40 and went through college and fought the draw of the coffee maker. I only ended up with a coffee maker at home about five years ago when my wife insisted we buy one for her parents who visit for a few weeks at a time. Since then she has become a regular coffee drinker.

While i didn't drink coffee, i would drink a can of soda in the morning at work. It usually would be Mountain Dew, because it tastes awesome. At lunch i usually have soda, Coke or Mountain Dew, usually in a 24oz cup with one refil. I would maybe have a can in the afternoon, maybe two days a week. I drink other stuff at dinner like water or milk, no soda because it would keep me awake.

Lately, my coworkers and i occasionally hit the Circle K for a 24 oz coffee in the morning, usually 50/50% regular/decaf, with about 2 oz halk and half and two splenda packets. If i do the coffee, i skip any soda until lunch.

So, i ask of the nutritionists and anyone who has something to say, what are the benefits and drawbacks of both morning routines? Coffee vs. Soda.

Thank You.

Last edited by: B-Dub: Jun 25, 10 10:01
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [B-Dub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm not a nutritionist, but i will tell you that black coffee is better than soda as a delivery method for caffeine -- which, from your post, seems to be one purpose of your soda intake, even if it is only subtly acknowledged.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hilly Flats Racing

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coffee will stain your teeth and give you caffeine

soda will destroy your teeth, make you fat, and give you caffeine

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The high fructose syrup used in soda runs through the veins of Satan. That's stuff is pure evil.

My fiance is a nutritionist. Whenever she is asked what single food choice/change someone can make to improve their health, the answer is always the same..... stop drinking soda.

Coffee in large quantities isn't good for you, but a cup a day has some benefits. Drink coffee in moderation and it may actually do you some good whereas any amount of soda is bad for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coffee is a lot better for you than soda.

Soda contains tons of sugar as well as high amounts of caffine, and is very acidic. (you can clean your bike chain with Coke)

Good coffee is an all natural product containing anti oxidents and much more mild levels of sugar and caffine. Studies have linked compounds in coffe to a decrease in Alsimers, early onset dimensia and can be on par with a glass of red wine for heart health.

If you're avoiding coffee on the grounds that it has caffine, reaching for a mtn dew is like smoking crack to avoid an occational glass of wine ;-)

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [Jason B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How will stopping drinking soda improve their health?

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"mostly to avoid becoming a slave to the caffiene"

Your 60oz of Mtn Dew (2 x 24oz at lunch and one 12oz can in the morning) gives you 275mg of caffeine (55mg per 12oz).
12oz of generic Coffee gives you approx. 260mg of caffeine.

As others have said, the coffee brings other benefits with it as results of a recent study were announced only yesterday. The soda brings a lot of other crap with it!

Now Splenda, that is whole other topic!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everybody has a vice.....I LOVE coffee. It's my fault if you can call it that.

Soda's are so full of sugar and shit.....blaaah. I have a Coke when we go out for a carb orgy/pizza fest, but that's it.

Mmmmmmmm coffffffeeeeeee
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [wiffcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Coffee is the life blood that fuels champions"

I don't know who said it but their spot on

....no where does that qoute mention soda

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
coffee will stain your teeth and give you caffeine

soda will destroy your teeth, make you fat, and give you caffeine

X2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw this recently.

In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.

20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)

40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.

45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.

>60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.

>60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.

>60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.

http://www.nutritionresearchcenter.org/...nk-a-coke-right-now/

Coffee is only bad for you if you go get a venti double mocha-chino frappacino with extra whip. Plain black coffee, while it may stain your teeth, has some other alleged health benefits.
Last edited by: Lou3000: Jun 25, 10 11:39
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [Lou3000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I drink 3 cans of diet coke a day, my doctor says I'm healthy.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I drink 3 cans of diet coke a day, my doctor says I'm healthy.

Probably compared to the average person he sees. Dropping the diet soda will probably make you healthier.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diet coke doesn't have sugar in it, but there is some debate as to whether aspartame will kill you.

Either way, I would think for most athletes on Slowtwitch drinking a Coke a day would be fine.

My personal favorite, Mexican Coke. It still has pure cane sugar instead of HFCS.
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [jO4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is diet soda any better for you than regular soda or vice versa?
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [robb1414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a Moutain Dew addict that stuff is like crack, its been 21 days since my last bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ditch the splenda

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [atomic916] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those stats are great. So, 12oz coffee=260mg caffeine, 12 oz MtDew=55mg caffeine. I dodn't realize that the difference was that great. I'm definitely interested in reducing the HFCS and the better living by science chemicals in soda. Where is this study? Splenda?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 37 years old and just started drinking coffee in order to compensate my diet coke that im trying to quit. aspartames gives me headack

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [stef32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all this talk about aspartame being bad for you...is there any actual proof that it is? diabetics have been using the stuff for years, is there any research to show cancer clusters/higher prevalence of cancer/other bad things in diabetics from use of aspartame?

aren't the doses used in the tests on rats/mice etc extremely high?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beer is caffeine and sugar free. Try that.
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [jO4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dropped it for 6 months before my last IM...didn't notice a thing except I got to drink a lot of bad tasting water.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brandes wrote:
"Coffee is the life blood that fuels champions"

I don't know who said it but their spot on

....no where does that qoute mention soda

Better listen to him, he's in pre-med.
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [jet black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was pre-law?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he was he's a partner by now because that was 7 years ago.
Quote Reply

Prev Next