Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
My presence here is both explicitly approved and encouraged. Not sure I deserve the salesman label, though.

Well like it or not, that is the role you are serving here.

My role on this project and some experience as a tri guy give me certain advantages when it comes to handling (anticipating!) the kinds of questions STers ask. To the extent that Trek's overall interests are furthered by my being here, yes, it is an aspect of my role. But I'm well outside the commission loop.

In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Bikeradar.com calculated the SC RXL bar's aspect ratio it at 5.5:1 in their review.

Thanks. So, it only needs to be about twice as thick to be UCI compliant.

If we don't change the chord.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While some may be justifiably pessimistic, and so am I, I am thankful for companies who show an active interest in the customer base and a willingness to be somewhat open with information, so thanks for your contributions.

-Andrew Saar
It is better to do the right thing and be paid poorly,
than to do the wrong thing and be rewarded richly.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Tom asked about the Transition stall in the context of differences between tests (setups), which was answered. I don't know why (or to what degree) any of those differences had the effects they did.

Based on what I know so far about those 2 tests coupled with other Transition test data I've seen, my only "takeaway" from all of that is I don't think I'll be planning on running an Aeolus 9.0 in my Transition ;-)...and actually, it has me contemplating whether or not I should be using my Jet90 on there, which is basically the same shape.

I wonder which would be faster as a replacement...the 1080 clincher that Jordan loaned me, or the 404 carbon clincher prototype (that he also loaned me) with the Bontrager R4 Aero tire on it (that Al just sent me to see how it fits)??

Pics of the R4 Aero on the 404 carbon clincher will be posted later :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how did you convert the cda to grams of drag? If you let me know or ping me a spreadseet to do it, i'll let post some figures re ventus v use tula etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You seem to have missed the point: neither Tom A. nor I do triathlons...

Well...not yet anyway ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [studodd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
how did you convert the cda to grams of drag? If you let me know or ping me a spreadseet to do it, i'll let post some figures re ventus v use tula etc.

Drag force (in N) = 1/2 x air density (in g/L) x CdA (in m^2) x velocity^2 (in m/s)

To get from N to g, multiply by 102.

If you know the precise air density used (or assumed) during the tests, it would be most accurate to use that, but if not, you could just assume a nominal value (I typically use 1.175).

Finally: thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

If you go over to the dark side I will be forced to pretend that I no longer know you. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
0-5-10-15deg

delta between ventus and tulas (grams)

0.2362 -1.9837 0.8457 -5.6570
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

If you go over to the dark side I will be forced to pretend that I no longer know you. ;-)

Does a relay leg count as "dark side activities"? What about a sprint tri that's heavily skewed to the bike? I know that duathlons would be OK with you since you've already crossed that bridge ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
0-5-10-15deg

delta between ventus and tulas (grams)

0.2362 -1.9837 0.8457 -5.6570

Oooo, now that is helpful...looks like U.S.E. has done their homework!! (I'm sure MarkE will be pleased to know...you out there, Mark?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Does a relay leg count as "dark side activities"? What about a sprint tri that's heavily skewed to the bike? I know that duathlons would be OK with you since you've already crossed that bridge ;-)

I've done a few relays, too, so yeah, they're acceptable. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
still not many pics on here from owners....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
am i misremembering, or haven't you yourself gone halfway to the darkside? as in, races that involve two of the three activities? so, if not to the dark side, maybe the dim side, or the shady side?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
am i misremembering, or haven't you yourself gone halfway to the darkside? as in, races that involve two of the three activities? so, if not to the dark side, maybe the dim side, or the shady side?

No, you're not misremembering (as Tom A. mentioned). Back when I was basically the only serious cyclist living on Galvetraz Island, I raced duathlons for a little over a year, being named an All-American by Triathlete magazine and finishing just off the podium (4th? 6th? I can't remember) at age-group worlds. Then I got my behind kicked at the Texas state TT champs because I was busy being a jack-of-all-trades and master of none, said the heck with this nonsense, and haven't run a step since...
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Jun 11, 10 18:11
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

That would be the "slim shady" side....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe the Hed 3 isn't the interference drag culprit it's always been made out to be but these new superwide wheels are. Whats the Tranny's crown /legs like?

Still its doubtful considering the P4s similar performance with both and very narrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Maybe the Hed 3 isn't the interference drag culprit it's always been made out to be but these new superwide wheels are. Whats the Tranny's crown /legs like?

Still its doubtful considering the P4s similar performance with both and very narrow.

Well...power to rotate isn't on those plots, so I don't think one can make a conclusion either way...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I consider translational drag - power to rotate and interference drag - aerodynamic loss to two bodies having a negative effect on each other

I may have those definitions confused or mistaken though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I guess I consider translational drag - power to rotate and interference drag - aerodynamic loss to two bodies having a negative effect on each other

Translational drag (what a wind tunnel balance measures) is separate from "power to rotate". It's in the "power to rotate" portion that any interference drag would be seen with a Trispoke and a fork.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your mathematical notation is extremely unclear

total drag = translational drag + rotational drag

In Reply To:

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For future Speed Concept 9 owners I placed an order for a size small in the red chi WSD 9.8 with DI2 through the P1 site right before Memorial Day. It is scheduled to arrive at the local bike shop around July 15. So about 45 days, not too bad, I think. The shop owner told me that another customer just ordered a similar build through P1 a couple days ago with no fancy flame paint job or anything much like mine and the current wait is about 4 months. I am not certain if he told me that to make me feel better about waiting for my bike, but thought I would pass that on to other potential buyers, if they are planning to plunk down cash and race their brand new bikes this season it may not happen! As always your mileage may vary as other dealers may be higher up on Trek's waiting list, maybe mine is or is not, but I think Trek may have underestimated the popularity of this bike. Probably a sales home run for them.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [need4speed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found something interesting. According to Chris Lieto in 2007 his bike for IMH weighed less than 17 lbs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-DY4h4AQCg

Now, according to a Paul Cusack at Trek; says the Speed Concept is 200g lighter and 20% stiffer than TTX series.
http://road.cc/...-most-aero-bike-ever
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stitchboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw my first one in person yesterday and it is quite impressive. It immediately drew a crowd at the lbs when it was wheeled out. It was a small and though I am waiting for the 7 series if it was a medium I probably would have bought it right then.
Couple things I noticed though and have been mentioned elsewhere on the web.
The basebar is humongously long. Carl said it was 5.5:1. I thought it looked more like 20:1. The speedbox is really well made and not cheap looking at all like on Trek's website. It is practically seamless with the frame. If you are doing tri's even a sprint event you'd be crazy not to have it on. no way it does not improve aerodynamics.
Alos as slowman's article mentioned- the bike is LOW. I race on a banked oval sometimes and even with the slopes, I think catching a pedal could be a legit concern. Awesome looking ride though.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [rickn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are trek dealers ordering, and being shipped, extra 9 series stems, and steerer stubs?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally got my S-bend extensions put on yesterday. Rode this morning for a couple hours and had some problems with them slipping. The left aerobar extension tilted down quite a bit, but the right bar seems stable. Regardless, hope you like the pic. Sorry about the quality. Ill take some pics with a real camera later today.

9.9 medium
-draft box doesnt fit with training wheels, other than that it rides like a rocketship

Toro Performance
Quote Reply

Prev Next