Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do we know which disc wheels will fit? Does the Speed Concept have the same issues as the P4 and others?

HED Stinger disc?
Zipp sub9?
Zipp super9?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [bartturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No issues. Run what you want.

Carl

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Weaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Already on order......

The fin on the back looks like it has a lid... is that the "more aero" bento box?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I was told on another thread that it would be $4500. Not sure how much truth there is to that but thats what i was told.

Seems a bit pricey to me at $4500.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a whole lot of information on the computer ability? I know the sensor is integrated into the chainstay and that it is speed, distance, cadence and ant+ capable. Does the bike come with the actual computer or just computer-ready?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [carboner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I kind of was wondering the same thing. I'll obviously have to pick up a computer that is ant+ capable to take advantage of this feature, right? My cateye V2C wont talk to the speed and cadence sensor right?

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [mile2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Silicon Valley Cycling Center. Not a Trek dealer, but a knowledgeable fitter with lots of access to the Gucci Gear...

Karl will be happy to fit you. I'm sure he'd love to sell you a bike as well, but if you are set on an SC, he can still tell you the proper stack/reach you'll need.

Regards,
Puskas

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [carboner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll need to purchase the actual duotrap sensor and an ANT+ capable computer if you don't already have one. The bike comes with a removable plug installed in the chainstay pocket to keep things clean for those who don't wish to go the Duotrap route for speed & cadence.

Carl

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [justfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The fin on the back looks like it has a lid... is that the "more aero" bento box?
That's called the "Draft Box" and yes, it has a lid. Inside the box is a neoprene bag to keep everything in place. The box opens by squeezing the two tabs on either side, and lifting up. It stays in place by a little connector, so it doesn't fall to the ground.

You can see a couple closeup pictures of it here on the gallery I posted:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...os/Detailed/118.html

TriRig.com
The Triathlon Gear Guide
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Weaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Go whine in another thread. This is the "owner's" thread........

Does that mean that owners are not allowed to complain?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl and JudgeNick,

You guys know the most about this bike (Carl for obvious reasons) and Nick, well I don't need to explain. I have a couple of quick technical questions regarding the SC, specifically on its size. But first let me give you some of my stats, I am 5'9" and I currently use a size 51 Orbea Ordu. Based on that frame / bike. my saddle height is about 740 and that bike has a 96 cm wheelbase, which is equivalent to a size Small in a Trek SC. Using the Trek SC fit guide (that Nick had posted somewhere in the forum), my stats are:

(BBR) Base Bar Reach: 650
(BBS) Base Bar Stack: 580
(APR) Arm Pad Reach: 470
(APS) Arm Pad Stack: 620

So what size frame should I get?

Hereunder are the following considerations:
- Based on the BBR and BBS, I should get a small frame with a 75/110 stem; however this would have a high APS!
- Based on the APR, I should get a medium frame with a 45/100 stem; however it would have too long BBR and BBS!
- Based on the APS, I should get a small frame with a 45/100 stem; however it would have too short an APR!

Sorry for the highly specific technical questions here but I would like to know my size. My local trek dealer, who I respect and is quite familiar with the SC (he went to Wisconsin for the seminar) thinks that I should get a medium, but he won't know until I sit on the bike.

Thanks.
P.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [justfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course not. But, I do stand by my suggestion to participate in other threads that already contain those criticisms. I'm excited about this product and would prefer to stick to the OP's intent and answer questions about the process of ordering and why certain elements were selected. If you are an owner then you've already voted that the pros outweigh the cons.......
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

(BBR) Base Bar Reach: 650
(BBS) Base Bar Stack: 580
(APR) Arm Pad Reach: 470
(APS) Arm Pad Stack: 620

So what size frame should I get?

First off, that fit guide is on the Speed Concept product page on the trekbikes.com website. When you click into a specific model, hit the "resources" tab, and click the "fit guide" button. Here is a direct link: http://www.trekbikes.com/...edconcept_fit_v3.pdf

To the point, you are a perfect Medium. If you are sure about your fit numbers, get the 100/45 stem, and run it with no spacers. That'll make it sexier too. The no spacers thing is hot. If you think you might need to go lower or farther forward, get the 100/10 stem. Either way, Medium.

EDIT: Note that arm pad reach can be adjusted +40mm to -60mm for any stem. Your base bar stack/reach won't ever be spot on, because that's not infinitely adjustable. You prioritize your armpad stack/reach, and get as close as you can for the base bar. Again, Medium 100/45 is your best bet.

TriRig.com
The Triathlon Gear Guide
Last edited by: JudgeNick: May 28, 10 9:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the duotrap sensor for my 6.9, i think it was only like 30 bucks..it is absolutely seamless, just pops right into the frame! You put the magnet on the crank and you are all set to go if you have a compatible computer. The garmin 310xt I have works beautifully with it. I would have to imagine that more bike companies will start to integrate this technology into their frames, it just makes it so darn easy and gets rid of all the clutter that comes along with zip tying stuff all over your bike.

Making Triathlon Great Again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your dealer is smart...fit is everything, and determining where you want or need to go is best done in person. Nick has pretty much hit upon the same points I'm going to, but I'm not letting the time I already spent on this reply go to waste ;-)

My thoughts based on the #s you provided are as follows:

If you're happy with your current fit and spend the majority of your time in the aero position (those two should go hand in hand) APS & APR are your #1 priority. Using a +/-10 to 15mm tolerance on nominal APR in the chart, that puts you squarely in the middle of two combinations: Medium frame with 100x10, and Small frame with 100x45. It also intersects at Medium with 100x45, but unless you're really dialled in your current APS I'd advise against it...you'd have no spacers under the pads with no place to go but up.

If basebar position is important to you, particularly if you tend to spend a lot of time cruising out in the pursuit position, the Small + 100x45 offers the best compromise vs your current coordinates. The Medium + 100x45 almost gets the basebar stack perfect, but it's also nearly 30mm further out there and remember you've got no downward APS flexibility with that one without re-stemming in 100x10.

As for an Ordu comparison, in a 51 it's very close to the Small SC in frame reach and the Medium in frame stack. Narrow and tall, if you will. Not going to find a 1:1 match in an SC.

FWIW, I'm also 5'9", with a saddle height of ~760, APS & APR 620 and 465 respectively. My rig is a Medium, 100x45 with no spacers. Basebar position not a huge consideration because I only use that position for starts, stops, and stupidly steep climbs.

Carl

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl first off I love the bike I can't wait to get one, but first I need to sell my 2009 P3...any takers? haha

Is it possible to run a speed bottle on the back of the seat tube rather then the draft box?

Just like this which I got off youtube?

---------------------------------------
Sponsors hit me up, space for rent.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [MealsOnWheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, no direct-mount provisions for a cage back there. Mike's bike (pictured) is something of a one-off that way...the original team version of the bike had just enough room inside the seatpost pocket area to do it.

Carl

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What other lead times are other people getting for their orders? I ordered a 9.9 XL frame with DA via P1 and have a 50-60 day wait. Anyone else?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl and Nick,

Nice to know that I am not the only one obsessing about this sizing system. HOWEVER, Carl, I have to point out to you that there seems to be an error in that sizing chart in your wesbite and the numbers seem to be inverted. It's a long explanation so give me some time and I will post it here this afternoon.

P.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey carl
I just ordered a 7 series frame so i can transfer all my part over. I have a couple questions.
1. Whats the major difference between 9 and 7?
2. Does the 7 series come with the integrated chainstay dropout for speed/cadence?
3. Cna you describe the rear brake? I train on HED Ardennes which are C2 but race on standard zipp 404's. How hard is it to go back and forth on this bike?
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [scottusmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you order a 7 Series frameset? If so, if you don't mind me asking what the MSRP is, or was this a favor from your local LBS to sell it as a frame only? If you don't want to say the price, I understand. or PM me if you don't want to post. Thanks.

Fraser Bicycle | First Endurance

Check out my blog here | Twitter:@tmalis3
Last edited by: Tom3: May 28, 10 10:51
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Tom3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes just the frameset. the msrp was $2400.00 and its the 7.5 frame in blue/white i hope this helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info; I didn't know they offered that bike as a frameset (or any of the SC models for that matter). I am blown away by the bike, but there is no way I could swing a complete bike now. I have a P3, that I basically re-built with new RED this year, so my components are pretty new that I can switch over.....hmmm.... gives me something to think about....

Fraser Bicycle | First Endurance

Check out my blog here | Twitter:@tmalis3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) 7-series front end is more "traditional", with an external brake and wholly-internal steertube.

2) Yes

3) Rear brake similar to the front in basic actuation. Rim width is only 0.5mm different between those two wheels, but thickness of standard and carbon pads usually differs by slightly more (carbon tending to be thinner). Happily, the 404's are wider than the C2 Ardennes, so it should wash out for the most part. I'd set the brakes for the Ardennes combo and you shouldn't need to change anything for the zipps but the pads. My personal preference is to have entirely separate cartridges for carbon and standard setups vs swapping only the pads, but we've got room and features for you to go either way.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you're happy with your current fit and spend the majority of your time in the aero position (those two should go hand in hand) APS & APR are your #1 priority. Using a +/-10 to 15mm tolerance on nominal APR in the chart, that puts you squarely in the middle of two combinations: Medium frame with 100x10, and Small frame with 100x45. It also intersects at Medium with 100x45, but unless you're really dialled in your current APS I'd advise against it...you'd have no spacers under the pads with no place to go but up.

If basebar position is important to you, particularly if you tend to spend a lot of time cruising out in the pursuit position, the Small + 100x45 offers the best compromise vs your current coordinates. The Medium + 100x45 almost gets the basebar stack perfect, but it's also nearly 30mm further out there and remember you've got no downward APS flexibility with that one without re-stemming in 100x10....

I don't spend a lot of time on my basebars (I do that already on my road bike) but since I use the base bars for climbing off the saddle, I would like it to feel comfortable, especially since that has little adjustment flexibility.

Anyway, after analyzing both (Carl and Nick) your suggestions, the best combo for me would be a medium frame using a 100x10. That single spacer would be perfect for Ironman distances and then I could just remove it for the shorter Olympic and Half Ironman races. We'll see. I don't think the Trek dealers right now give customers the option to choose stems and I will take whatever default stem comes with the bike and just change it later on after riding it for a few months and dialing my fit. I don't mind the medium size except for having a shorter looking seatpost (by 3 cm). One thing I liked about my Ordu in size 51 was that my seatpost stood up high like a mast compared to many tri bikes that have seatposts that look only as long as road bikes.

P.

Quote Reply

Prev Next