Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
cyclists Beware,,
Quote | Reply
Firstly . our condolences to the families, friends involved in such a sad incident in quebec . I know what a great group it is .
It is becoming much to common and will continue to grow as there are more cyclists on the road and more cars who think they own the road. Being in the event business i am worried that the motorist rage towards cyclists is getting out of control. Many community officials do not want us on the road and tire of their citizens complaints. In lake placid their is a huge movement against the cyclists dominating the roads. When i lived their i was approached daily about it (what are you going to do). i live in boulder and the situation is getting out of control.

I try to live in reality and as much as we would like to educate the motorist and get them to look at us as equal partners , it will never happen. does not mean we do not keep working on getting communities bike friendly, but the average north american is an out of shape, in a hurry, texting, drinking , entitled person..and it is their road.

So what are we to do, those of us who love cycling.

1/ accept that they a large percentage of the motorists do not want us out their

2/ plan rides at times and locations are safe. ride at low volume traffic times

3/ avoid the busy non shouldered rides at all costs..it is not worth the risk of a texting teenager, drinker, sleeper, or enraged pick up to run you over

4/ music. if you do it , one ear piece only..you need to hear your surroundings

5/ only ride two abreast where it is safe, big shoulders, very low traffic roads

6/ stop at stop lights and stop signs..even if there is no reason..it enrages motorists more , we can't expect them to except us if we continually break the road rules

7/ don't text on your bike

Lets honor those involved in this tragedy by setting some rules of conduct and safety for all cyclists, triathletes, etc. the Quebec rules. The point being , do not trust anyone in a car when your life is a stake. It will never go away. Learn to be defensive and set yourself up to enjoy your rides..be safe, cycling is a great sport.
Last edited by: gfraser: May 15, 10 16:28
Quote Reply
Re: motorists,never trust them. Honor the quebec riders [gfraser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great advice Graham.

I know you and Joe (and Dave before him) have copped a lot of flak from Penticton motorists about the bike traffic down Eastside Road during summer.It is a problem that is growing all over the world as more people try to get out and ride for fun.Sadly we will always be the losers in the fight for road space and need to realise this and ride accordingly.The number one thing is,as you quite rightly pointed out,is to obey the road rules.Without respecting the rules we will not gain the respect of the community at large.

I really hope it will not take a death on Eastside Road to make some changes to what goes on there.

Hope all is well with you.

Cheers

Nick

Quote Reply
Re: cyclists Beware,, [gfraser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8/ Support your local bike coalitions and safe-transit advocacy organizations - with your money and/or your volunteer time.

Every year, in my area (the San Francisco Bay Area) there are new bike thruways put in; bike lanes installed or existing bike lanes made more safe (such as, most recently, Market St. in San Francisco); new signs installed on busy roads such as "Share the Road" or "Watch for Cyclists;" dangerous intersections and freeway overpasses reconfigured to be safer for bike crossing.

The bike and transit organizations work full-time to make this all happen. No way it would have occurred without them.

The same organizations also educate cyclists to be more safe, legal, and polite to drivers, so that we don't piss them all off with erratic riding behavior.

I am about to head over to SF on my bike - Market St., actually - and I'll breathe another "Thank You" to the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition for those nifty new bright green bike lanes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about adding:
  • Make yourself VISIBLE -> bright colored clothing, jacket, or blinky light
  • Grow eyes in the back of your head -> or the next best thing, use a mirror.

Be safe out there. The only thing you can control is YOU!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, sadly it is the case that it can be dangerous out there. Defensive riding is key as well as adhering to the road rules ourselves to form a culture of respect.

The Amy Gillett foundation in Australia has made good strides with this in Oz and they have a variety of media outlets;

- Code of conduct is something that alludes to what you have proposed here - full 2 page PDF is here;
https://docs.google.com/...20of%2520Conduct.pdf

Thinking that it may be time to have this type of organisation and media coverage in Canada and the USA

For those not wanting to check the link it has the following information on page 2;

--------------

Safe Cyclists

- Cyclists must stop at red lights – you will gain the respect of motorists and it’s the law!
- Keep to the left (Right in North America) on the road to allow clear passage for passing traffic
- Wear a helmet, brightly coloured clothing and have lights on your bike
- Be predictable and always indicate your intentions.

When Riding in Groups
- Ride two abreast but be courteous if the road narrows
- Communication is the key – signal or call your intentions and hazards to ensure your safety and the safety of those near you
- At lights and intersections, stay in position behind queued vehicles rather than rolling up the side of stopped traffic.

Safe Together

As the number of bikes and cars on our roads increases, we all have a role to play when we head out on the road – and that is to be responsible every time. We all have a right to use the road. However to ensure safety and mutual respect, responsible cycling and driving is essential for a good relationship on our roads. We all make mistakes. Be courteous and anticipate others’ mistakes. Always look to improve your own driving and cycling by getting more information and being prepared to acknowledge your own mistakes so as not to repeat them. And remember, in an increasingly obese and polluted world where the roads are congested, cycling tackles all three issues.

Safe Driving

Just like motorists, cyclists are permitted to ride on the road. Here are some useful points to remember when driving:
- Be patient and cautious when driving near cyclists
- Allow a 1m clearance when passing cyclists
- Check your mirrors before opening the car door
- Indicate your intentions in traffic.
- You may be interested to know that Cyclists can travel up to 35-45km per hour so judging gaps can be difficult
- Under current law, cyclists are allowed to ride two abreast and take the whole lane, if necessary, to ensure they are visible
- Most adult cyclists also own a car but enjoy bike riding to stay fit, save money, time and the environment.

---------------

Note these refer to Australian laws (2 abreast etc which in some provinces and states may be illegal). One part that I think is particularly important in terms of cycling behavior is this - something that I think I am in the minority in doing;

- At lights and intersections, stay in position behind queued vehicles rather than rolling up the side of stopped traffic.

Why do I feel this is important - essentially if you are in a scenario were you are re passing then getting passed again and again by the same vehicles it introduces you to undue risk and form a motorist perspective it is frustrating. In the end think, how much time is rolling within 6 inches of the curb, parked cars and a line of traffic (Assuming no bike lane) is going to save you. This is a good opportunity to show mutual respect.

Here are a couple of the adverts that air on Aussie television regarding distracted driving and the relationship between cyclists and drivers being a two way street;

http://www.youtube.com/...ture=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/...ture=player_embedded

------------------------

http://opensourcetriathlon.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Graham. I like the suggestion by the poster below about wearing yellow or bright orange. One of the cyclists who passed away was the wife of a one of the guys who regularly podiums at your brother's events when he shows up to race in Ontario!

Also one more thing I have noticed. When I get "narrow" and ride in the aerobars, I seem to be buzzed a lot more than when I am sitting up on a road bike. And if I am on a Mountain bike, riding like a sail, I seem to get the most room! I think I better get one of those handlebar mirrors, at least for my road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in a rural area and have the benefit of riding my bike on very lightly traveled roads. Rode for a few hours today and saw less than 10 cars total. However, I bought a MTB last week (off the classifieds at that) so I could have more room on the roads near my home. I will still do some riding on the roads but the MTB will see a lot of action. I, too, have noticed how many cyclists are getting hit lately. It's very, very scary.
Quote Reply
Re: cyclists Beware,, [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree as well that when aero i get buzzed more. I think partially due to the narrow profile, but I tend to be travelling faster. The faster I move the less space I get.

I also notice that if I try and ride right on the edge of the road I get buzzed more than if I take an extra foot or so into the lane. FIW

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Re: cyclists Beware,, [gizmo147] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Safe Cyclists

- Cyclists must stop at red lights – you will gain the respect of motorists and it’s the law!
- Keep to the left (Right in North America) on the road to allow clear passage for passing traffic
- Wear a helmet, brightly coloured clothing and have lights on your bike
- Be predictable and always indicate your intentions.

When Riding in Groups
- Ride two abreast but be courteous if the road narrows
- Communication is the key – signal or call your intentions and hazards to ensure your safety and the safety of those near you

Safe Driving

Just like motorists, cyclists are permitted to ride on the road. Here are some useful points to remember when driving:
- Be patient and cautious when driving near cyclists
- Allow a 1m clearance when passing cyclists
- Check your mirrors before opening the car door
- Indicate your intentions in traffic.
- You may be interested to know that Cyclists can travel up to 35-45km per hour so judging gaps can be difficult
- Under current law, cyclists are allowed to ride two abreast and take the whole lane, if necessary, to ensure they are visible
- Most adult cyclists also own a car but enjoy bike riding to stay fit, save money, time and the environment.

Well said. Words to cycle and drive a car by. It's what we should all be doing when cycling or driving. However, sadly, I see very few motorists follow any of the above advice, and while there seems to be a constituency of cyclists, who follow your suggestions to a T( myself included and most of the people I ride with), there seems to be a growing group of cyclists out on the road who follow none of that advice - at their peril, but at the same time giving all cyclist a bad rap. I may signal my intentions clearly, and yield appropriately, but the cyclist that, that car driver saw 10 minutes ago was, blocking the whole lane, then blew through a stop sign and then proceeded to give the finger to another driver who honked his horn. So we are back at ground zero or worse on the PR front.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Graham,

Well said. It's how we have to/need to conduct ourselves at all times both for our own personal safety but, at the same time to some how in a vain hope, keep a good PR campaign going that cyclists know how to share the road - that we belong on the road.

Quote Reply
Re: cyclists Beware,, [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very sad post. And becoming more frequent.

Good tips all. But like you said, a mirror. And the mindset to use it automatically. I have been using a mirror for about 10 years now. Twice it has saved me from certain destruction from behind.

The mindset. Be an El Gato out there. Training and RACING. I don't change helmets for racing either. In other words I use a mirror always. Twice in races, was being police waved through intersections. I would have been t-boned if I had followed the directions for some drivers just are so unaware of their surroundings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think cyclists could benefit from studying what worked in changing attitudes about cigarette smoking in public places in changing attitudes toward cyclists on the roads.

I think political pressure and organized protest will be essential in achieving this changes. I'm not a political person or an activist, but I will need to become one if I want real changes for cyclists on the roads.

The Ride of Silence http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php is a great example of what we need to be doing. I see that someone posted about this a couple of days ago and it sank off the front page of this forum like a rock.

I'm glad to see Graham posting about this, but I'd like to see what his company is doing re: financial contributions to cycling advocacy groups. We all know that apart from our personal cycling actions, $$$ is really the answer to increasing our safety on the roads. We all need to be contributing to cycling advocacy groups and influencing our politicians with money.

I would love to see Lance Armstrong get more involved in this issue. A couple of tweets from him about the Ride of Silence would be very beneficial in publicizing the event.

As to our specific actions on the roads, I think Robert Hurst, author of The Cyclist's Manifesto has some smart ideas about this. Here's his website http://www.industrializedcyclist.com/
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: May 16, 10 7:41
Quote Reply
Re: cyclists Beware,, [VegasTrilete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twice in races, was being police waved through intersections. I would have been t-boned if I had followed the directions for some drivers just are so unaware of their surroundings.

I have had a similar experience in a race. Police directing traffic at an intersection. Supposedly everything under control and a car that I saw approaching out of the corner of my eye was either ignoring or not seeing the cop in the middle of the intersection with the neon reflector vest on with her hand held up and directing traffic, anyway I had to take evasive action, and had to bunny-up the curb at over 30 kmh and ride across the front lawn of an adjacent house, then back on to he road to avoid being taken out by the car. Not blaming the cop, she was doing everything she was supposed to do, the driver of the car was being an in-observing idiot! How is it that I knew more about what was going on in the intersection while coughing up a lung going all out in a race than the car driver?

Quote Reply
Re: cyclists Beware,, [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think political pressure and organized protest will be essential in achieving this changes. I'm not a political person or an activist, but I will need to become one if I want real changes for cyclists on the roads.

Mark,

FWIW, even though the Quebec tragedy took place far away from my area, I took the time today to write an eMail to my federal MP for my area. Where I live - Just north of Toronto - is similar to the area were this incident took place near a large city, with many cyclists having to use very busy arterial roads to get to the nicer quieter roads for long distance riding.

You are right we should try and use all the contacts and political leverage that we can. My gut feeling both from news events of tragedies like this and my own anecdotal experience out on the roads is that the situation is getting worse.

Quote Reply
Re: cyclists Beware,, [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mark, there is a group in boulder colorado called Bikes Belong, they are working on this on many levels and are worth supporting. My hope is that this issue is attacked on two levels. One , nationally with major legislation from the federal level, major funding for more and wider bike lanes etc..two, on a local level where groups in each community try to influence their local area. It is sometimes easier to make changes in our own community where there is a sense of community. The quebec accidents can open a door in that area for discussion while it is in the medias eye..it is now on hte radar of people and any educational program for drivers and cyclists is welcome. But the reality is the cyclists (triathletes are more interested in their swim times than safety..check out how many have read or posted different topics.
One role we have in are plans at Centurion is to educate our cyclists on how to a/ be safe b/ respect the local roads and citizens..its a very important role as cycling grows. We can be our own worst enemy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What needs to happen is to somehow personalize things. People do things when they have that bubble of insulation around them (their car) that they would not due in a personal situation. We are nothing to them. I long for the situation when someone blows me off the road then get trapped at a light or something. I will pull up and nicely say "Hi I'm Tim, I have a wife and two kids and I was just out here minding my own business getting a little exercise when you missed me by about one foot with your attractive two ton vehicle traveling at 60 MPH and although I recognize you are THAT good of a driver that can thread a needle that way I was curious why you couldn't turn your steering wheel one quarter to the inch to the left when you were passing me to give me a little more than the one foot of space so I ask you is that too much to ask for?"

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
6/ stop at stop lights and stop signs..even if there is no reason..it enrages motorists more , we can't expect them to except us if we continually break the road rules

so very true.
Quote Reply
Re: cyclists Beware,, [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Emailing your Federal MP is nice and all, but highways, and the laws surrounding them are provincial. Better to aim your lobbying efforts at your Provincial MPP.
Last edited by: Boogie711: May 16, 10 18:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How about adding:

Very sad news.

I tried the mirror, but found that I'm better off riding and looking behind me about every 10 seconds on busy roads.

We have to put a stop to TEXTING while driving; otherwise, I fear the danger of cycling on public roads will continue growing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How about adding:

+1

09 Cervelo P3
09 Pinarello Prince
10 Stevens Carbon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't want to be roadkill, get off the road. Most of us have been hit by cars. Most of us personally knew a few people killed by cars.

Unless every driver, and the offspring of every driver that ever hits or endangers a cyclist is sterilized, they will simply keep breeding. Without an evolutionary cost, or some huge evolutionary reward for good driving, their killing machines will statistically, eventually win, and cyclists will lose.

C
Purveyor of Crank!
Quote Reply
Re: cyclists Beware,, [Boogie711] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done that to, as well as sending a personal note to a good friend of mine who is a Cabinet Minister in the Ontario Provincial Government. At at first sent eMails to my federal MP because this event happened in Quebec, but I live in Ontario and I was making the connection with her that, her riding is not that different from where the Quebec accident happened - close by a big city with many arterial roads in poor shape, with heavy traffic that get used by cyclists a lot to get to the nicer quieter roads for riding.

There are micro and Macro issues here. For example on a stretch of the same road near my house, that was over-hauled and up-graded recently, my town, just resurfaced the road and put a curb in, but as you crossed the town line into the next town, that town, not only resurfaced the road, they put in a full bike lane that ran the full length of that road in that town( about 5K). I wrote the mayor of my town as to why this was, but I have yet to hear back from her!

Quote Reply
Re: cyclists Beware,, [justfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have to put a stop to TEXTING while driving; otherwise, I fear the danger of cycling on public roads will continue growing.

This perhaps the most retarded activity that you have ever heard of. Common sense alone should dictate that texting while driving is perhaps the worst and least safe activities that a driver could ever engage in. When I hear of such things and I read of the levels that it goes on, I fear for the intellectual development of human beings. It seems we have taken a giant step backwards.

Quote Reply
Re: cyclists Beware,, [Crank!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless every driver, and the offspring of every driver that ever hits or endangers a cyclist is sterilized, they will simply keep breeding.

Agreed.

Role-modelling is perhaps the most powerful influence on behavioral development, so guess how the kids of all of those arrogant, impatient, aggressive drivers who care little for the safety of anyone else on the road, turn out while they sit in the passenger seats of their parents cars for all those years - they become the next generation of arrogant, impatient, aggressive drivers with little concern for the safety of anyone else on the road. It's a vicious cycle!

Last edited by: Fleck: May 17, 10 7:44
Quote Reply
Re: cyclists Beware,, [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Safe Cyclists

This is really important! A lot of drivers are nervous about passing a bike rider. If you ride up to the stop line at a red light you are making all the cars that passed you once already, pass you again. Wait in line behind the last car to pass you and you will go a long way toward improving the public's view of cyclists.

The OP is right about North Americans (I am one). However, it is possible to create a different culture. I travel to Munich often and that city has integrated bicycling into its culture beautifully. Bike lanes everywhere, aware pedestrians, and car drivers that know how to share the road and LOOK for bikers.

http://www.EpixGear.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next