Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

wetsuit repair glue
Quote | Reply
I got a small tear in my wetsuit, what kind of glue should I use to fix it? I saw some QR wetsuit repair cement but looks and smells just like rubber cement. Any ideas
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit repair glue [Luntzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a local tri shop? I bought my Orca wetsuit recently, and the guy at the shop gave me specific instructions:
  1. If you get a tear, repair it immediately.
  2. For best results, you can send the suit to Orca for repairs.
  3. For second best results (but cheaper), bring the wetsuit in to the shop for repair.
  4. For third best results (very inexpensive), repair the wetsuit using this repair glue--which he held up to show me.

So I know what to do in case of a tear. My guess is the QR wesuit repair cement will work fine. It probably smells like rubber cement because vehicle agent (acetone or something similar) is the same as rubber cement. But the actual repair material, left once the vehicle agent dries, could be totally different.

====================================
Do not take counsel of your fears.--Andrew Jackson
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit repair glue [ScottFromUtah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I if the manufacturers won't do a free repair for you, go the glue route. Don't bother with any 'wetsuit specific' glue though. For a tenth of the price you'll be able to pick up a tube of neoprene glue for repairing shoes. However, if the tear is on a seam, you may need to get it blind-stitched/taped. Also, you'll need to make sure not to spread excess glue on the inside of the suit to avoid chafing later on.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
            You can do the repair with any water based contact cement. Get a lifetime supply from Home Depot for about $3.99. In addition you'll need a Q-tip and a small piece of tooth pick. Use the tooth pick to hold open the tear, spread the cement with Q-tip, let dry, remove tooth pick and apply pressure. Voila! It's repaired and you're back in the water. Now remember to cut your fingernails before your next race.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit repair glue [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing to remember with 'cement' type glues is that they will dry hard (like cement) and scratchy. Not too comfortable if the rip on your wetty is through to the inside and on an area of high motion i.e. shoulder, back of knee. Look for a neoprene based glue.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I should have said neopreme based contact cement.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply