Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What aircraft does the First Lady fly on?
Quote | Reply
I know that an aircraft is never "Air Force One" unless the President is on board it (i.e., his 747 changes to a different call sign if/when it's flying without him). Same with his helicopter, which is never "Marine One" unless he's aboard.

But what plane does the First Lady fly upon when she's travelling without her husband? One of the 757s? What's it's call sign when only she's aboard?

Quote | Reply
From the White House:

No matter where in the world the President travels, if he flies in an Air Force jet, the plane is called Air Force One. Technically, Air Force One is the call sign of any Air Force aircraft carrying the President. In practice, however, Air Force One is used to refer to one of two highly customized Boeing 747-200B series aircraft, which carry the tail codes 28000 and 29000. The Air Force designation for the aircraft is VC-25A.

So, if she is on one of those two planes, they still call it Air Force One.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: What aircraft does the First Lady fly on? [Good to Go] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Air Force Two?
:)

Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: What aircraft does the First Lady fly on? [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Air Force Two?
:)

Fred.

That was my first thought as well...

But then, what does Joe get to use? Ground Force One? :p

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: What aircraft does the First Lady fly on? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think that's right. From the quote: "...if he flies in an Air Force jet, the plane is called Air Force One. Technically, Air Force One is the call sign of any Air Force aircraft carrying the President." In this case ("this case" being Michelle Obama's visit to my San Diego today) the President is not on board the plane, so, as we can infer from the quote, its call sign is not Air Force One.

Yeah, "in practice" the VC-25As are called "Air Force One," but that doesn't mean that it is, technically, Air Force One. That's just what we call the big, pretty blue and white 747. Its status as the big pretty 747 alone doesn't make it "Air Force One."

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
But then, what does Joe get to use? Ground Force One? :p

Amtrak One.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's "Air Force One Foxtrot," or, more technically, "AF1F."

See table 2-3-8: http://www.faa.gov/...r/CHG2ATC3-12-09.pdf

But that leaves another point open: does she get the 747 or does she get one of the 757s? I'm betting 757, as there are only two (I think) 747s, and their communication/defensive capabilities are needed (and therefore reserved) for his use, not hers.

Last edited by: Good to Go: Apr 16, 10 11:42
Quote Reply
Re: What aircraft does the First Lady fly on? [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever plane the big guy is on is "Air Force One," although typically people think of the big 747 when they hear this.

Whatever plane the #2 guy is on (Big Joe in this case) is "Air Force Two."

Whatever plane the First Lady is on is "Executive Foxtrot One."

They have a bunch of different jets they fly, including the big 747, a few 757's, some BBJ's (737's), and a bunch of Gulfstreams (3's, 5's, and 550's mainly).

drn92
Quote Reply