Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
garmin 310xt any users???
Quote | Reply
am thinkin of buying the above garmin and it seems to have good reviews and seems to be compatable with power units which i will be interested in in the hopefully near future.i have used polar hrm for approx 18 yrs but at this stage garmin appear to be a very good product...any reviews or users would be of great help
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 310xt any users??? [jcaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one and like it a lot. There are a few glitches with the new software but mine has been working fine. You may want to check out the forum below.

https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bought mine in Dec. I really like it. Have had a few glitches, but they were solved by updating its software from the Garmin website.
Used it in numerous running races this winter and was happy with it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hilly Flats Racing

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had mine since Dec and it's worked flawlessly since. Used it for numerous runs and indoor biking sessions.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got one in July 09 and have been using it since. There have been a couple of glitches requiring me to reset it and re-input all my parameters but other than that it worked perfectly -- until about two weeks ago when it just wouldn't start anymore. I contacted Garmin and they seemed to know what the problem was, they sent me an RMA immediately and I shipped it to them. Now I'm waiting to get it back, hopefully I'll see it this week. I have really missed having that thing, it is awesome. Pace, heart rate, time all right there for you to see anytime you want. I can't wait to race with it. Having your run pace available is very nice during a race and helps you push it to meet your target and hold back when you need to. A couple of years ago I raced with the Nike+ system and wristband -- it worked well but the wristband got fried at Wildflower when one of the water people splashed me, I guess it wasn't waterproof. That shouldn't be a concern with the 310xt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could give you my opinion of the 310XT and it's use as a head unit for my powermeter over the last few months, or I could just concede that all of the info you need is already right here for you:

http://dcrainmaker.blogspot.com/...in-depth-review.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love mine but like most Garmins, it isn't perfect

1. A number of people have reported a problem with the band pins coming out. I had this happen twice. If you apply enough force to the side of the unit (unintentionally, of course) the pins can come come out and you have to put them back in. This is worrisome because if it happened during the swim and you had it on your wrist, it could sink to the bottom of the lake/ocean. I contacted Garmin about it and they said it was a known issue and to send it in and they would fix it. However just before I sent it in, I go the quick release kit and I found that it never happens with that. So no matter how good the fix is, the quick release kit should help in this regard. I actually prefer it anyway. So I held on to the Garmin for an extra 2 weeks.

2. The crystal/glass/whatever on the front of the unit can crack, something that never happened with previous versions. This also happened to me. I was using the quick release kit and, when not using the Garmin, stored it in my gym bag. Well one day I took it out of the bag and it was cracked. Still worked but there went my waterproofness. So I called Garmin and they told me that since they were going to completely replace it for the pin problem (#1) anyway, just send it in, they would note that it is cracked and still send me the new unit. That's what they did.

I knew about problems #1 and #2 before I bought them so I can't really complain. I think that for problem #2, they made a poor design choice and should use a less fragile material for the face and also possibly offer some sort of protective carrying case. As I said, I knew about the danger before I bought it but I will be very disappointed if they don't fix it in the next version.

3. The latest software update (2.7) apparently has a problem that can sometimes cause the unit to shut off during a run. They're aware of it and are fixing it.

Minor quibble #1: The 310xt does not have a custom data field for "Last Lap Time" like the 205/305 did. This annoys me as often during a race I don't look at the lap time that briefly flashes on the screen when I run by a mile marker. With a custom data field of "Last Lap Time", you can see what your last mile was right up until you go by the next time. I hope they restore this field in the next software update

Minor quibble #2: On the 205/305 you could turn the GPS off from the same quick menu that lets you choose a sport. With the 310xt you can't -- you have to drill down into the regular menus. This is annoying and I hope the restore the previous functionality.
Quote Reply
Backlight failure [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any 310xt users had the backlight fail? Mine was extremely faint for a while - and now non-existent. Before you point out that the brightness is adjustable, I will tell you I am aware of that - and that's not the issue. Not really sure I want to be without the watch for a week or two at this point - I doubt that Garmin will do an up-front swap? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Backlight failure [AR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might want to check the Garmin forum, but not aware of anything there. Why wouldn't Garmin replace it if something is not working, particularly if it's still in warranty? I'd check with the retailer first, but also contact Garmin support.

I've just had them swap out my 'premium' heart rate strap because of the spiking issues. Spoke with Garmin support (Australia) who immediately offered to swap the strap through my retailer. Asked instead for the old style strap and they agreed. So full marks for Garmin support from me anyway.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had mine about a week. I've used it in the water, running and on the bike (with sensor). Its a basic stop watch while in the pool but it's an invaluable training device for running and cycling. I originally owned the Garmin 405 and the 310 is much easier to use while running i.e. not clumsy touch panel.

If you are like me and looking for the device to do almost everything for all three disciplines, I think the 310XT is the best option we have. Its not perfect but as you learn to use the device you can get around any and all it's shortcomings.

Jonathan L Golden Photography
http://jonathanlgolden.com
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 310xt any users??? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for all the posts and have i have to say a big thanks for the link super review...seems to come down to an overall excellant unit with the capabilites of measuring power albiet limited. however it seems to be the best hrm that has this function so its looking like a thumbs up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through three 310XT's before I ended up returning it for a refund. My original problem was that the spring pins would unexpectedly release (http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=2667992;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;). GARMIN customer service was great both on-line and on the phone. They were quick about sending me a Fix kit with longer pins.

The second problem that started to occur with the my second and third unit was that it would not maintain the correct date and time. When I went out for that first outdoor run. No problems with satellite capture and obtaining the correct date and time. The following day, I went to complete an indoor workout and was using the 310XT just for total workout time and heart rate. The date and time were completely wrong.

That evening, I completely reset the 310XT to try again. Went outside, got satellite capture with the correct date and time. Then turned off the unit. The next day I planned to complete a indoor workout using it just for total workout time and heart rate. The date and time were once again completely wrong. I contacted GARMIN, they offering to replace this unit with another (through GARMIN). However, I opted out of that option since it would have voided the return/refund policy from my local store.

I have also read of owners having problems with the Software version 2.7 and the unit locking up. All three of units were Version 2.6.

I REALLY liked the 310XT and what it has to offer. But at $400, it was unreliable and the chance of loosing it during an open water swim or racing on the road and unit going flying off of my wrist wasn't worth it. Others have written that they have had no problems with the Quick-Release kit or changing out the band. But at $400, I shouldn't have to buy an extra accessory to keep the unit secured to my wrist, when they should have addressed that in the design phase of the 310XT.

Looks like I am back to using my FR305. I'll wait and see what Garmin may offer in future versions of the 310XT. I am also interested in what the competition like Timex has to offer with the September 2010 release of the Timex Ironman Global Trainer.

Hope that you found this to be helpful.
-Joe
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 310xt any users??? [Kinesio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you say you turned it back on and it was completely wrong, was it the same date and time as before or something else?

As far as the coming off problem, it's a shame you didn't try the quick release kit. It really did eliminate the problem for me. It moves the pressure point away from the pins. Frankly if I had not had the cracking problem, I would not have even bothered to send mine in for the RMA. But I certainly can't blame you for not wanting to take a chance.

I think if I swim with mine I'll put it under my swim cap.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 310xt any users??? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Each time I did the setup I went with the automatic option to have the most correct date and time. I was outside getting the satellite capture, it was correct (date/time); and confirmed with my cell phone. But when I would turn it off for the night....come the next morning, the time that it displayed was the time that I turned it off the night before. As for the date, the unit would show 31 March 2007. When I would go to Garmin Training center to download my training information, everything was lumped into that 31 March 2007 date. My impression and that of GARMIN support was that the internal clock was not functioning correctly. However, this problem happened to me with two different units back to back.

As to wearing it under the swim cap, I understand your concern so as not to loose the investment. But GARMIN created the 310XT to be worn on the wrist, and that is how they are advertising it. Going back to wearing it under the swim cap is what we all did when we first got our Forerunner 205 and 305 and they weren't rated for swimming.

Thanks,
-Joe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I'm not suggesting anyone else do that as some sort of viable alternative. I was just saying I will probably do that myself, just to be safe

(I must admit though that I'm not really concerned about it coming undone in the water with the quick release strap. It's that much better.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
am thinkin of buying the above garmin and it seems to have good reviews and seems to be compatable with power units which i will be interested in in the hopefully near future.i have used polar hrm for approx 18 yrs but at this stage garmin appear to be a very good product...any reviews or users would be of great help

Over the past 10 years I have owned a Polar S710i , the top of the line Polar bike computer ( introduced 2005 , cannot recall model ) , RS800.

In a nutshell , constant problems , inaccuraccies , frequent servicing required , RS800 batteries needed changing every 6-8 weeks , pending mileage.
I am not alone in my thoughts either , I have 3 friends who are avid triathletes and are fed up with "donating" money to Polar.

My wife bought me the Garmin 300XT in October from the US. Funny enough ,the original unit's screen was faulty. The problem was rectified shortly afterwards.

The Garmin is an absolute pleasure to run with. 100% user-friendly , hassle free ( no "retro" footpods requiring pre-setting , etc and shoe transfrers ).
Downloading of Garmin through the "Ant" technology is a breeze and the "Dashboard" is fun to play around with :)
The ability to measure identical routes , runs , etc. I find to be very valuable , as is the feedback provided , pending how you set up your custom levels.

I set mine up to show me accumulated pace , and "auto-lap" at 1km. Enables me to analyze my calories , pace ( mins/km and km/hr ) , time , HR , etc. per km .

In a nutshell , Polar is 3-5 years behind IMO.
I would HIGHLY recommend the watch.

Oh disadvantges..............................you get to see exactly how slow you really run :)

Terry

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Last edited by: canuck8: Feb 15, 10 22:30
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 310xt any users??? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2

One of the best reviews I ever read and made it so that I 100% didn't feel the need to provide a product review but instead refer others here.

Also, this is the review that made me realize I was tired of gosh darn Polar products (I seem to never be able to connect them to any computer I've ever owned - owned two Polar products).

This Garmin is one of the greatest pieces of equipment I've had the pleasure of using. I can't recommend it more as a HRM / training watch and I haven't even fully utilized it yet - still need to get the footpod so I can see my running cadence (which needs to increase) and power meter (hurry up Metrigear).

If you're in the market for a HRM / training watch - buy it!

In Reply To:
I could give you my opinion of the 310XT and it's use as a head unit for my powermeter over the last few months, or I could just concede that all of the info you need is already right here for you:

http://dcrainmaker.blogspot.com/...in-depth-review.html

-----------------------------------------------------------
"Chrissie wins because she trains really f'ing hard and races really f'ing hard and was blessed with a huge f'ing motor" Jordan Rapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have problems also with the HRM band. Changed the firmware to 2.6 and tried the 2.7 but it doesn't change anything.
In general, clients are very happy with the functions. Price/functionality is excellent if you compare with the competition (Polar).
I used Polar for many years and always had problems with all of them. We also have Timex, and I also use the Road Trainer, which has no GPS features but is really stable in all occasions, and works great for swim workouts. Wait for the new Timex Ironman Global Trainer to be released. Just wonder the price.

Disclaimer : work in bike/triathlon industry
Quote Reply
Re: Backlight failure [AR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really sure I want to be without the watch for a week or two at this point - I doubt that Garmin will do an up-front swap?

Just an FYI: When I had to warranty replace one of my 305s I didn't want to be without it for that time. So I asked
if there was a way to avoid that. All I had to do was give them a credit card number (over the phone talking to a
real human) and they charged me the refurb price and shipped it to me. Then I shipped the other unit back and
they issued a credit, so the total cost to me was $0 and my total time without the unit was also 0.

-Jot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You probably already know this. But...

To avoid the issue you had, all you have to do is let it lock on satellites (and, thus, get a time/date update) before turning off GPS. A minor inconvenience for an otherwise excellent tool.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: Backlight failure [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent, thanks for the info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An update - I just got a package from Garmin this morning. As I wrote earlier, my 310xt locked up completely a couple of weeks back and Garmin support had me return it. I just opened the box and the 310xt they sent back was not the one I sent to them, the serial # is different. This may be standard, rather than spend the time to repair a broken unit they just ship a working one. In any case, I am very pleased with the customer service from Garmin. Prior to the lockup, the 310xt worked very well and I have been happy with it. I'm looking forward to racing with it this season -- hopefully it won't lock up! My Edge 705 locked up during Wildflower last year - d'oh! The problem in that case was that it needed a SW update. There is a lot of SW in these beasties, and where there is a lot of SW there are usually a few bugs hiding about.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 310xt any users??? [need4speed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is expected, when you return a device to Garmin you have a few different choices. If your unit is less than 60 days old, Garmin will send you a brand new replacement unit, if your unit is older than 60 days, then you will receive a refurbished unit. Typically they will ship you your new, or 'new' refurb unit, as soon as they receive your defective unit that you shipped. Alternatively, as stated, you may provide a credit card number and they will ship you the replacement unit immediately, but they will charge your credit card if they do not receive your returned unit.

Additionally, in my case they only requested that I ship the 310XT itself, no other accessories or retail packaging. The replacement they sent me was a brand new full retail boxed unit including all accessories and an brand new premium heart rate strap. All and all, I was pleased with Garmin's customer service, especially in that I spoke with someone friendly in the US who actually knew what they were talking about.

That being said, one thing I should have mentioned earlier before just defering to the DC Rainmaker review is that while I share his sentiments otherwise, I was pretty upset when my 310XT simply died after about a month and a half of use. I put it on the charger one day and that was it, completely dead. This was about 3 weeks out from WDW marathon and I was without it pretty much up until right before the race. I had to spend my last few weeks of race prep out running for the enjoyment of it rather than being a slave to metrics and quantifiable data... a horrible, horrible experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased a 310XT for my wife in October. The device worked for about a month then stopped communicating with the ANT device so she couldn't download any workouts. About a week after that the device stopped communicating with the heartrate strap. I sent the 310XT back to Garmin and it was replaced with a new watch and heart rate strap which took about a month. The customer service was excellent but after paying almost $500 (in Canada) I would expect the device to be more reliable.

The 310XT still has quite a few bugs and I would wait for a year or so until purchasing one. If you do buy one I recommend that you buy a new one from an official retailer since you will probably have to send it in for repairs.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 310xt any users??? [mfperez999] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had my 310XT for several weeks now and love it. I stopped using a HRM/computer many many years ago and just decided to start up again. Technology is great! :)

So far mine has been running perfect with not a single issue (knock on wood). I'm still using version 2.6 and am not going to upgrade to 2.7 or more until I either have some problems or they fix some additional bugs in 2.7. From all my readings on the 310XT and Garmin in general is they have the right ideas on the products they are offering, but they are filled with bugs....it will be hit or miss if you get a good unit or a bug ridden one.

Good luck :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next