Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Scott 100k's recreated
Quote | Reply
I have the opportunity to have a handlebar made to recreate the Scott 100k bar-----the idea would be an aero or die bar that is less extreme.

Wondering what you all think would be product features to make this bar a little better than the original.

Obvious options include black anodizing, 31.8 or 26.0 clamp diameter, perhaps internal cable routing, other ideas??

Also I would need to commit to 250 bars, which is a lot and I'm unsure I'd ever sell all of them...

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Scott 100k's recreated [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't see much room for improvement. if you went carbon you could shape the bits that stick out to be a bit more aero i guess =)

you could have grooves or holes for internal cabling

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Feb 11, 10 10:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could offer different bends, S/R/J and wrist relief with John Cobb =]

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: Scott 100k's recreated [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
don't see much room for improvement. if you went carbon you could shape the bits that stick out to be a bit more aero i guess =)

you could have grooves or holes for internal cabling

Yep that was one of my ideas also.

Quote Reply
Re: Scott 100k's recreated [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, one way to do this would be to have the extensions separate and you could swap different extensions in as you mentioned.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
´S´shaped bars are currently more popular than the ´J´ shape of the original. Oops, just seen someone mentioned that already.

I´d buy one. There don´t seem to be any in Europe (or at least on eBay Germany!)

It would be great to have a specific thread for pictures of ´Aod´ and Scott 100k set ups for inspiration. That way they would all be in one place on the site, and AFAICR there have been a number of different and ingenious solutions to the problem of getting shifters, cables and brake levers all on one ´wishbone of death´.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Last edited by: Barchettaman: Feb 11, 10 10:54
Quote Reply
Re: Scott 100k's recreated [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a friend had a set of these in the 80's on his "funny bike" --- cool!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have the opportunity to have a handlebar made to recreate the Scott 100k bar-----the idea would be an aero or die bar that is less extreme.

Wondering what you all think would be product features to make this bar a little better than the original.

I'd vote for having the handgrips closer together - but not as close as they were on the Extremes (or the ultra-rare 100k Extremes). IOW, have just enough space between the extensions to fit the fingers of both hands, with your knuckles touching.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott 100k's recreated [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's another idea, that I think would be as good with more adjustability:

A really narrow basebar (the same width (28cm)):

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

That is similar to the "mini MTB bars" that I used for the Superman position back in the mid 1990s - only difference is that my basebar was straight, w/ DiaCompe 188 brake levers plugged into the ends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

That is similar to the "mini MTB bars" that I used for the Superman position back in the mid 1990s - only difference is that my basebar was straight, w/ DiaCompe 188 brake levers plugged into the ends.

I think with a straight bar though, the bar needs to be wider to get past the elbow pads----also this would have less round bar into the wind.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think with a straight bar though, the bar needs to be wider to get past the elbow pads----also this would have less round bar into the wind.

Not necessarily - my base bar was only ~25 cm wide, i.e., just wide enough for my two hands plus the stem clamp. Obviously it would depend, though, on how the elbow pads were positioned/shaped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like some of the elements from the Scott Extreme - particularly in the way that the extensions were so close that you could grab both with one hand. However, the wrist relief bends are also appealing. Not sure if both these suggestions could co-exist.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Scott 100k's recreated [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gabbie, can you post some more pictures of your various Scott setups, if you have a moment?
Cheers
Simon

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Andrew,

Im not sure if you will be able to set me straight, but for some reason I remember that there was testing done on both the 100k and the scott extremes (I went through two sets of these), and the drag numbers were worse than the base-bar/aero bar combo. I took it as a surprise at the time, as I thought that they 'looked' the fastest. My recollection was that the testing was done pre-slowtwitch, and appeared on RST a bunch of years ago (maybe back around 2000ish). Am I remembering this completely wrong? This was the main reason that I abandoned the extremes and went to a vision tech base bar/ clipon (well that, and I got a set of vision techs for near nothing).

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
I think your short basebar idea is good, but you can combine that idea with your scott bar idea. For one, you can have a lot more leeway in how tight you make the various bends of the re-born scott bar, i.e., you can make the bends a lot tighter, as extreme as the alloy tubing will withstand. The reason the scott 100k bar had such gentle bends was not for reasons of ergonomics, or fit, or aerodynamics, it was so that users could get a 'closed' clamp stem on to the bars. Since now 99% of stems have completely 'open' clamps, you can go crazy and make a bar that is 100% functional.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: Dark: Feb 9, 11 9:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew,

That is exactly what I am going to do with my Profile Stoker bars I just bought. Cut the bars down just about the same width as pictured below but only with a straight bar and plug my Tektro carbon levers in the end facing forwards. This will give me a bit of a hand hold holding onto the ends and when I really need to brake, I can flip up the pads and have access to my brakes.

I will try to pair this with maybe a HED 3rd brake lever up on the bars to have the ability to scrub a bit of speed when needed.

In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't mess with perfection! I'd buy a pair of reproductions.

Cheers,

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the idea of these bars maybe having tighter bends and having the extensions just close enough to mount a Garmin/Powermeter right between the extensions. Maybe with a tighter bend you can have the extensions more straight from the last bend forward. More straight as well instead of them sort of angling in.

I think the more pictures we can see of current set ups the better.

What are the thoughts on maybe finding a happy medium between standard and AoD set ups.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Um...you had better make sure that some patent lawyers are not watching this thread....

26.0 please, no internal cables - that is why we have bar tape, and you dont want to mess with the machining and chamfer needed to get the tube set for aero shifters

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Scott 100k's recreated [stephen J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right, I also remember that (Was it in Winning?)

If I recall, the Blackbird (vapor ware), the CarbonX and a few others were much better off "With Rider". BUT, they also had period "Fish hook" style brake levers (standard road levers pointing forward) and Quill stems on non-IS bikes. It was more of a now - vs - then rather than a head to head equal comparo. I also cant remember if it was a 100k or the DH bar.

What I think is missing from this as well as the Retro thread is the best shifting system EVER for aero bars - GRIP SHIFT!

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Scott 100k's recreated [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
These are pretty great bars--but this is coming from someone who currently has them on three different bikes. What I'd like to see are some decent low profile mounts for the pads.

Have you tried the CeeGees mounts? About the only thing I don't like about them is I wish I could move them outboard just slightly...since they clamp on the straight part of the bar they end up fairly narrow. Although, I do have to say I've gotten used to my elbows being in so close. But, I'm sure others might not like them that narrow...

I agree on bringing the "handgrip" portions in closer together...also, maybe the "loops" could have a short straight section in the middle of them (running fore-aft)?

A very low profile brake lever made specifically for that bar that could be mounted on the outer portions of the "loops" pointing down would be a nice addition as well.

Actually...this all gave me an alternate idea :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Scott 100k's recreated [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Um...you had better make sure that some patent lawyers are not watching this thread....

Not sure that's an issue.

WTB Dirt Drop bars were selling for upwards of $150 a set on eBay.

Then On One recreated them and sells them for $50 retail.

They made a few small changes to the bar so it wasnt identical, but it was. Not really sure how a set of bends in a bar can be patented. If I change a few things about them, seems like it would be fine.

Quote Reply
Re: Scott 100k's recreated [stephen J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey Andrew,

Im not sure if you will be able to set me straight, but for some reason I remember that there was testing done on both the 100k and the scott extremes (I went through two sets of these), and the drag numbers were worse than the base-bar/aero bar combo. I took it as a surprise at the time, as I thought that they 'looked' the fastest. My recollection was that the testing was done pre-slowtwitch, and appeared on RST a bunch of years ago (maybe back around 2000ish). Am I remembering this completely wrong? This was the main reason that I abandoned the extremes and went to a vision tech base bar/ clipon (well that, and I got a set of vision techs for near nothing).

Stephen J

Well...I field tested the Scott 100K bars with the CX levers on the insides of the loops to be ~0.5-1 s/km faster than the same arm position with a Vision aluminum basebar, Profile T2+ extensions/pads, and Tektro brake levers...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next