Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I skate gingerly over the ice on my way to work tomorrow morning (as I have the last 4 mornings) I'll try to keep you "shirtless" Floridans in mind. Already I'm kicking myself for leaving my running gloves in the office this evening ... it may have to be the wooly mittens tomorrow!

Policy here in Geneva seems to be not to salt the footpaths (for environmental reasons, I believe). Outcome: everyone has to drive to work when it's icy. Doh!
Last edited by: madfuzu: Jan 21, 10 11:54
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [madfuzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can see running in the cold, but running on the ice would be no fun. Maybe the treadmill is your answer.

You should feel the warmth from both the Sun radiation and the ambient temperature here. To have that in the middle of winter is priceless.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [madfuzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guy who owns the lawrenceville Golds gym franchise seems to be a bit of a jerk and leaving while my son is there and one of the kid care people knowing I left would put one of the kid care people if not all at risk of losing their job. Dont think it is right to ask and put their job's in jeopardy. I did put some thought into that already though.

Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Success. Got a second treadmill run in.

I would prefer the treadmill with the builtin fans over the one with a TV right
in front of me.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My problem with not running on the ice is that the only other way I can get to work is to ride my bike, which I think is even more dangerous in the ice! Now commuting by treadmill on the other hand ... when is that teleport accessory due out? ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the treadmill you need...

http://www.diet-blog.com/...e_treadmill_bike.php
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If that thing were legal during races.... ;)

Seriously though, it's raining and windy here, or as the Canadicans call it, "summer".

Enough days of sunny and high 60's have spoiled me.

Yes, I'm rubbing it in.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found thes quotes really spoke to me today. I've been thinking about exactly what he is talking about. How much am I limiting myself by my own assumptions and I am slow and won't get faster? Am I living up to my physical potential and if not, it is my own head that is getting in the way?

From an interview with Anton Krupicka :

"I came to realize that—whether we can control it or not—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic."

"If you can instead approach your running with true confidence you’ll have a much better chance of performing up to your physiological ability."

Rest of the interview here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenHS: Jan 21, 10 22:20
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool... Did 10.5 today on a an and off 1 % grade through out run on treadmill. Last 2 minutes was at a 1% incline and 11 mph. No splits or nothing today just felt like zoning out ehile running.

Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got in a quick run at lunch. Cub scout Pinewood Derby is this weekend and I'm
ostensibly in charge of that so a lot of stuff to get done.

The weather was PERFECT.

About 60 degrees, light breeze, blue skies with broken clouds. I got
a window from the rain that has been present for the last few days
and I took it.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks you just reminded me . I got to get my sons pinewood car together too. Glad I saved thos kcnc ceramic pulley's :)

Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
local 5k this morning, in the rain. 19:23
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a lot to right here. So bear with me...HEHEHEHE....1 hr. 17 minutes 35 second run First mile 8 min 59 sec, 2nd mile 8 min 19 sec, 3rd mile 8 min 20 sec , 4th mile 8 min 10 sec , 5th mile 8 min. 1 sec , 6 th mile -8 min 7 sec, 7 th mile 8 min 32 sec, 8th mile 8 min 30 sec, 9th mile 7 min 21 sec, and a half mile in 4 minutes. Stopped to talk to a neighbor. Nice out about 38 degrees sunny light to no wind. Took it easy hole time and half pushed for mile 9. That was not so bad .......EHHH no Hr straqp as it is cutting through chest. Probably could have pushed harder there were some rolling hills in there but having done 53 miles already this week it started to catch up with me.

Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great job on the 5k!!! So busy talking bout meself I forgot to say. A typical triguy i guess. Any way was that after a full week biking and running? If so even better ! ! Getting better at dem rollers. Doin all kind of tricks on them . Maybe Ringling Bros. have a opening.

Quote | Reply
thanks man, I have been keeping the milage fairly low because I dont want to re-injure my calf. I figure starting monday, Ill doubleu p for awhile to add some runs, my actual IMCDA plan starts feb 8th so ill be down to 4/5 runs per week so I think realistically ill end up with around 80/100 which is all I really wanted to do.

yeah, been biking some this week, not too much but some, my main goal is to be injury free so I can "run" the marathon at IMCDA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You must be slow. I ran mine in 19:15. ;-)

It hurt like a bitch though. I'm always so surprised how much these things hurt, but it's really simple: I don't do track workouts or race a lot.

Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Took today off so you can catch up a little ;)

Next week is a "rest" week, so nothing but short runs all week.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally got +1 on Thursday.

Back to even today. Spent 8+ hours running the Pinewood Derby. Had to be
at the house for the few hours before that so my wife could go workout.

Even took my running gear to give it a shot to squeeze a run in between setup
and start time, but that failed as well.

Oh well. Kids had a great time. 50+ kids across (plus parents and siblings)
4 hours. Timing to the ten thousandth's of a second, which should be good enough
for even ST. :) (The difference between 2nd and 3rd from one track over the course
of something like 24 races was 1 ten thousandth of a second. 2nd advanced to
finals, 3rd did not. If the car had been more cervelo like or the driver used powercranks... ;) )

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, thanks. Going to do about 11 today which should put me over 50 miles for the week for my first 50 mile week in a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoops, posted from my fiance's account, forget she is on ST now that she is doing the challenge.

Just had a nice solid 11.5 mile run, feeling good and hoping to have enough runs in the bank to still surpass 90 by the end of this challenge despite which will certainly be some missed days come February.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5.40 miles to get to 68 miles this week. Probably do a long 3 and change run to hit a wee bit over 70 miles for the week. And guess what I actually think I will take tommorow off then one more long 70 mile week. Then a short week followed by some fast single runs and slow second runs to get close to 100. I hope this work pays BIG divedends for all the a ASPHALT POUNDING done. Sure it will one way or another.

Edit: 3.25 miles to throw me a mile and a bit over the 70 mile mark. Was not 3.25 junk miles as I concentrated on mechanics and foot strike. Dev I even pretended I was grasshopper and "ran" over the rice paper and left no foot prints. I do hope you know what I am talking about?

Last edited by: bmanners: Jan 24, 10 15:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
15 miles yesterday and only 7.5 of the planned run today. Various technical problems including losing my keys on the trail and pouring rain meant cutting it short by 10 minutes. Not a great day but I got something done at least. A nice guy walking his dog found my keys and put them on a log in the trail so I'd see them. It was a nice reminder that people are awesome more often than not.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who hurt her back and can't run. She's been walking instead. Yesterday we walked 10 miles on the clay road in Clermont. First 9 miles together at a brisk, but not particularly fast, 13 min/mi pace. Last mile was to determine the "winner" of the workout - yes, every workout has to have a winner!

Wasn't even close! She switched strides and took off like a rocket - I'd say 10:30 pace. I tried my best to turn it on, but I topped out at... 12:30 pace (at best). Holy crap! Goes to show how much technique matters in racewalking. There's only so much I can do to increase stride length and stride rate - looks like that limit is 12:30 pace with "normal" walking.

Now I have to live with Polly the Insulting Parrot in my bathroom until the next challenge!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironwolf....don't get sucked into "doubling" up just for the sake of this challenge if you put your calf "on the brink". The challenge is just a means to get you to your A race, but if in the process it takes you out of the A race, then it was not used for what it is intended.

Of course, many people will use the challenge to self destruct, but that is a personal choice. When the finish line clock stops at IMCda and they hand out Kona slots, no one is checking your 100/100 result. The sooner you get that drilled in, the better. Use the spreadsheet to stay honest, but not to self destruct.

All the best....train safe.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am with Dev on this one Ironwolf. Worst thing you can do is nurse a injury like that.
The )))))POUNDING((((( takes to much a toll on the legs :-) Kidding just said that to rile dev up a bit with the pound comment. But dead seruios on the nursing a muscular type injury.

Last edited by: bmanners: Jan 25, 10 17:12
Quote Reply

Prev Next