Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Shin splints - ice or heat?
Quote | Reply
Folks, just started getting shin splints on the left leg only. They have been flaring up for about three days. Shoes have maybe 250 miles on them.

Ice or heat?
Quote Reply
Re: Shin splints - ice or heat? [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ICE

day off from running.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you heavier or have a heavy stride shoes might be done, If they are midline running shoes might be time to replace. I get about 300-350 I am 155lbs. and have a heavier heel strike. I would say ice the shins and later if it make feel good use heat also. I love my heated seats in car after a workout. But I am not hurt and its mainly on my derrier and back of thighs. The heated steering wheel feel terrible on hands after a ride. :)

Last edited by: bmanners: Jan 13, 10 12:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Between heat and ice, definitely go with ice. But go after the cause rather than the symptom. If you want to avoid shin splints in the first place, make sure you don't flex your toes upward on your forward striding foot. Basically, as you stride forward just let your foot relax/hang until you plant it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Folks, just started getting shin splints on the left leg only. They have been flaring up for about three days. Shoes have maybe 250 miles on them.

Ice or heat?

rest

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stretch the hell out of your calves, and start trying to strengthen the muscles on the front of your shins. You're getting shin splints because the muscles on the front of your shins are working so hard to pull your foot up towards your knee that they're literally pulling off the bone. Also google shin splint exercises, or shin splint prehab. That should get you going in the right direction.
Quote Reply
Re: Shin splints - ice or heat? [Lactone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If you want to avoid shin splints in the first place, make sure you don't flex your toes upward on your forward striding foot. Basically, as you stride forward just let your foot relax/hang until you plant it."

Tried that. Now do you recommend heat or ice on my face where I planted it in the road?
Quote Reply
Re: Shin splints - ice or heat? [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tried that. Now do you recommend heat or ice on my face where I planted it in the road?

again, rest =)

heat and cold both work for injury treatment because what really works is time =)

Quote Reply
Re: Shin splints - ice or heat? [scott_robison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know if it makes a difference or not butthe discomfort is on the inside of the shin, not the top/outside of the shin. Hope that makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Don't know if it makes a difference or not butthe discomfort is on the inside of the shin, not the top/outside of the shin. Hope that makes sense.

you know the stretch you do for quads, where you pull your leg up behind you? if you do that, and grasp your toes to stretch the foot too, it can give temporary pain relief.

to really get better though you need to back off on the mileage and give it time to heal, then ramp back up slowly. experimenting with new kinds of shoes MAY help.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to get shin splints back in the 80's during cross. I never backed off mileage or speedwork- never iced or heat. I used an exercise I saw in Runner's World at the time. I sat on a table with my legs dangling and running shoes on. I then put a looped shoestring with a 5 lb weight on it over the front of my sneakers and flexed my foot up and down slowly- 3 reps of 10 or something like that. Always worked.-2-4 days after flare up.
Quote Reply
Re: Shin splints - ice or heat? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never iced, just long warm baths seemed to help, well that and Motrin. As for preventative injury. Have you ever seen the P90 x program? Toe flexors!! Definitely works for me.

Hope you feel better soon.

-J

Jehovah and family unity above all.
Quote Reply
Re: Shin splints - ice or heat? [VelocityDriven] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Never iced, just long warm baths seemed to help, well that and Motrin. As for preventative injury. Have you ever seen the P90 x program? Toe flexors!! Definitely works for me.

-J

yes I have P90X. When do they do toe flexers?

And those intervals I did this AM were a bad idea, huh? Oops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What brand/model shoe are you running in?
Quote Reply
Re: Shin splints - ice or heat? [seifarth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What brand/model shoe are you running in?

Adidas Supernova. I ran in them for about 400 miles, purchased new ones and with 250 on the new ones, the left shin is starting to hurt. One possibility might be the inserts that I have. They have 650 miles (got them with the old shoes, and didn't switch them), so maybe I need to switch those out.

I guess I assumed that both shins would be hurting, but it's only the left one.

A bit frustrating, as it came out all of a sudden.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

-J

yes I have P90X. When do they do toe flexers?

And those intervals I did this AM were a bad idea, huh? Oops.

It's been several months since I completed the program. I'd like to say it's in the x-stretch video towards the end.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the intervals this morning.............it's pretty difficult to stop training isn't it? Atleast it is for me. I used to suffer quite a bit from shin splints on the inside as well. Closer to the ankle. Motrin and going to the local pool seemed to help lessen the pain though. Take care.

Regards,

J

Jehovah and family unity above all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely ice, and do the ABC with your foot. One of the few injuries I can usually run through, but with reduced mileage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ice, calf stretches, avoid banked roads, run on soft surfaces and be careful as this is prime spot for tibial stress fracture. Use of TP balls helps too. If all that doesn't do it, go get some ART done on the whole calf muscle group and associated deeper structures and have your shoes/gait evaluated as pain on one side most likely results in a weakness or imbalance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yeah, I think I know what you mean. It's like between the calf muscles and the tibia, right? That's your posterior tibialis. It's job is to support your arch. If your inserts are old, and you actually need the arch support, it could be that you're not getting it and the muscle is working overtime with it's normal function and this new stabilization demand. I'd try new inserts, and try massaging yourself by digging your thumbs or elbows into the muscles. Just dig around until you find the spot that hurts. Embrace the pain.

Oh, and you only get bilateral injuries if your body is perfectly symmetrical. Somehow I doubt it.
Quote Reply
Re: Shin splints - ice or heat? [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recommend some basic physical coordination.
Quote Reply
Re: Shin splints - ice or heat? [Lactone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have this weight training aid that works the muscles in the front of the tibia.

It's a T shaped affair that hooks on the top and bottom of the foot with a single post that sticks out forward, this post holds standard size weight plates so the pressure can be adjusted.

You lay on your back with your feet overhanging the bench and this device forces the front of the foot downward. The idea is to raise the front of your foot up, applying pressure against the weights.

This baby ISOLATES those muscles.

Ron W.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like freezing a cup of ice (in a paper or styrofoam cup) and then using it to ice massage my shins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big fat rolling pin over the legs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ice then heat....wrap them too.

"You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car."
— Harvey Diamond
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually use a little bit of heat for a few minutes, then do my stretching (sit on the floor with my legs tucked under me - it emphasizes stretch in my ankles and shins, can move your feet to stretch the bottom of those as well), then when I am done stretching, I use ice. And rest.
Quote Reply

Prev Next