Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dooode, next time you need to get it on film.

Got my first legit run in since the race on Saturday. 50 minutes felt really good ackshully.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Besides being a flailing gumbyman on the dreadmill they would probably think I was some pervert if I went in there with a video camera :) Plan on doing 8-10 miles today at around a 8 1/2 - 9 minute mile pace. nice and boring.... I mean easy. Plan on doing a very hilly 12-16 miler tommorow outside supposed to be near 40-45 degrees.

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As much as you might hate that machine, running a lot on it really makes you appreciate running outside. After a few weeks of a lot of running on the treadmill, I find that even a 20 mile run outside goes by in a flash.
Last edited by: JoeO: Jan 14, 10 7:05
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, my plan for no running last nite got foiled. We showed up at the speedskating oval for an hour of speedskating, but my buddy, bought the clip ons with the wrong binding for his XC ski boot, so we're standing there with one set of clips ons that have Salomon pilot bindings (mine) that will work with both his boots and mine.

So the planned changed to 30+30. Russ started out with a 30 min run while I speedskated for 30 minutes and then I handed off the blades to him, put on my running shoes and cruised out for a 30 min run, while he skated. Speedskating+Running is a "more interesting" transition than bike to run...its more like doing 30 minutes of squats and then trying to run. This morning was a nice 11 K run with 20x30 seconds @ 10K race pace, 30-60 second cruise....certainly felt much better on this morning's run.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
15 on the dreadmill today, 4:30am start finished by 6:40'ish. nice and pedestrian pace just under 9 min miles.

"i don't have fast twitch and i don't have slow twitch just old decrepit, weak itch muscles." - me

"In life we don't regret the things we do, but for lack of courage the things we don't" - Anonymous
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [DrDre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
15 on the dreadmill today, 4:30am start finished by 6:40'ish. nice and pedestrian pace just under 9 min miles.

"i don't have fast twitch and i don't have slow twitch just old decrepit, weak itch muscles." - me

That's impressive!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I've really been letting myself go this last half a year or so. I pulled out the Vibram five fingers, for a change, the day before last. They seemed so light and comfortable that I ended up running quite a bit quicker than intended, nothing exceptional but at least a solid tempo pace for me. I was doing runs like that about a year ago, no problem, but that night I woke up and took an aspirin, which is rare for me. Yesterday my calves were so tight and sore I could hardly walk straight. I took the day off, and they're still sore today. It didn't seem to bother me during masters this morning though and I'll probably try an easy run at noon to see if that doesn't loosen them up. Getting old sucks!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe thats what I am hoping tommorow. I got from 9-12 to run outside and its supposed to be in the 40's and no wind. My route takes me through farm fields and horse farms. So will see how windless it really is. Soaked another ipod during my run today on dreadmill. Think that makes 5 ipods within 2 years.

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [DrDre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to run but I honestly wonder how you guys can go for 15 miles on the treadmil and @ 4:30AM on top of that!!

Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I won't even get up when the first digit of the clock says "4" the day of an Ironman...forget about a regular training day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's all about priorities. It's ski season and the wife allows me to take Sundays off to hit the slopes - downhill, that XC stuff looks like real exercise. But being the selfish triathlete that I am, I need to get my long runs in too for the regular season.

Dev - Can't tell you how many times I've cursed your ars for that stupid "30 minute minimum runs only count" rule. I'll thank you later in the season, no doubt. For now, it's easier to curse you.

"In life we don't regret the things we do, but for lack of courage the things we don't" - Anonymous
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I won't even get up when the first digit of the clock says "4" the day of an Ironman...forget about a regular training day.

The reality that I am going to have to start training in the morning again is slowly creeping in and still 5am is about the earliest I am willing to go. If he was on the treadmill at 4:30, dare I say he had to have been up at 4:00 or 4:10? That's the middle of the night man, that's not even last call for some people!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't do it at 4:30 AM but I can do it on the weekend. Really I just get going and zone out. Same thing I do on training runs outside. I let my mind wander to a million different thoughts. I don't sit there and think, "how far have I gone?" or "How much longer do I have to go?" The miles just go by. Periodically I sort of "wake up" and realize where I am.

Even with that, it's still much more of a chore on the treadmill than outside.
Last edited by: JoeO: Jan 14, 10 14:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. 5 is pushing it, 6 might happen on a beautiful summer day, 7 in the winter if the coffee is already made, 8 I can almost guarentee.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually went for a 30mins run once @ 4:30AM before having surgery. It was an early day surgery (I had to be there by 6:30) and I was going to be "out" for 3 to 4 days so I was not going to add another day.....

Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hehe :)
pre 6AM is only during summer when I go for a long commute ride (~3h) to be in office by ~9AM and do a loop in the Gatineau (hilly part).
6h/6h30 AM is usually when I travel for business.

Currently it is around 7h45 AM just after I put my daughter on the school bus!

Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 15 yrs ago when I was "hardcore" (i.e. stupid) I did a long run from 2:00AM to 4:00AM on a Friday night. I think my wife and I drove from Eastern Iowa to Seaworld in OH right after my run with our two small sons. I knew there wouldn't be much running over the weekend and wanted to get a long run in since I was training for Chicago. My ITB hurts just thinking about hopping in the car for 8-10 hours after a 2 hour run. I couldn't imagine doing any physical activity before 6-7AM these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In general, anything before 0500 is early and I don't like it.

Doesn't mean I don't do it. 5 days a week for 8 weeks I was up
at 0440 for the ASU Kinesology study. That sucked.

And, news today is that it left me with a herniated disk (l4-l5).

Yipee. Now I don't feel so bad about sitting up on the uphills
of the SilverMan HIM because my back hurt.

Walking hurts. Standing hurts. Sitting, sometimes hurts.

Running feels pretty good, so run #31 got knocked out today.

We'll see what the next 69 days bring.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL! More than a few years ago my running buddy woke me up for our morning run. Nothing wrong there, that was the usual deal, she made the call and I supplied the extra willpower to not go back to sleep. The problem this time? She called at 3:00AM! I never looked at the clock (also usual) and showed up at her door 10 minutes later. We still laugh about it, but we did the run.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Tri N OC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got called in for overtime so woke up at 4:15 a.m. to get to gym by 4:45 to go on dreadmill. Actuallly got there same time they opened and they let me go in with htem a bit early. It opens at 5 am. Got 11.25 miles in before I had to jump off shower and shave for work. Working my regular day shift the next two days so looks like early runs for the next two days. damn I am tired already today was supposed to be a long slow run outside rolling hills. Working for time an a half moe then makes up for it :)

Quote | Reply
In 2007 when I did 100 days of running 30 min or more in a ROW (No off days), I had one stretch in Jan of that year, where I ran at 5 am in Otttawa on a Monday , got to the airport for 6 am to catch a 7 am flt to Toronto, connect at 9 am for the 13 hour flight to Tokyo. Arrived on Tuesday, but by now it is Tuesday at ~8 pm in Japan as I have crossed the international date line and lost 24 hours.

The bus ride from Narita Airport to my hotel in Yokohama was almost 2 hours, so I pull into my hotel at ~10 pm on Tuesday. This is technically 9 am on Tuesday in Ottawa, but by now I have done ~26 hours of door to door travel if memory serves me correctly. I unpack my clothes, iron my suit for the next day of customer meetings, pull out a pack of instant oats as I have had not eaten in a while. Put on my run clothing and finally start running around 11:15 pm in a cold rain on the Yokohama habour front. I pulled in to end the run just before midnite (I think the entire story is somewhere here on ST and likely a bit more accurate as this was 3 years ago).

Anyway, this was what I had to do to keep the "streak alive" in face of losing 24 hours out of my life on account of crossing the international date line. I may have woken up that day at 4:55 to get in running shoes just past 5, but I can't remember 100%....all I remember is having to wake up early to cram the run in or have the stupid streak broken! What was interesting was that the next day I was up at 6 AM and had a great ~60 min run and weights session before breakfast and then heading out to meet customers....but the afternoon meetings that day...which are basically the depth of nite EST were a struggle.....they always are whether I run or not....so I alway run the first morning I get to Asia. I no longer run after a long flight as the risk of DVT is too high. In hindsight, this was a pretty stupid thing to do. Now I won't even run shortly after a long drive after a few of my friends have had DVT.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the best possible use of compression gear is to try to
prevent DVT.

I wonder if that has been studied.

*wanders off to pubmed*

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felled by the common cold. Ugh. I hope to beat this in less than a week so I can go back to building mileage.

Meanwhile, rest and yoga.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only time I my cold feels better is after my run when I've blown everything out.
Quote Reply

Prev Next