Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Points for Skiing? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many points per hour for reading ST? Or is it negative marking ;-)

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Kyle, this morning's workout was 50 min CT ride with 12x1.5-2 min@240-260W (I had zero legs today....zero), then 45 min 9.5K run where my legs actually felt pretty good and did 5x800m in 3:05 to 3:20.....I know it is pathetically slow for ya, but I want to really use the minus 10C and blustering wind, and not so great footing (did I use the excuse yet that the 800's were point to point into a headwind???). Anyway, it is what it is. I'm planning to run a 10K this weekend and I figure that I better move my legs a bit quicker than I have for the past few weeks.

By the way, the Newton All Weather Shoes are pretty good. Good traction compared to the regular shoes and the uppers are certainly much warmer. I'd still like the upper to be more wind proof for Canadian Winters and will be providing this feedback to Anne at Newton. They should look at the completely windproof upper of an XC ski boot (don't need the weight, but not hard to make the toe box 100% wind proof). . My feet felt a bit cold (certainly far from frozen), but I might just put a strip of duct tape over the toes for the minus 20 days
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev,
It seems that when you smell the starting line on race day it is like Popeye eating spinach...I wouldn't be surprised if you did the 10K at the same pace you did the 5x800m in having watched your times.

I did something pretty dumb and did 2x20min@250 watts last Thurssday (My FTP has apprently gone up considerably since the week before when I first got on the trainer since Sept...). and then Friday did some running cruise intervals of 8x5'@~6 min/mile (:30). I was on a bike path and it was pretty cold. At the end of interval #6 I see this person laying on the ground in a snowbank. It was just after sunset and I was like WTF...so I said "Um...are you OK?" and it ended up being aheavyset elderly lady who had slipped in some ice and like a turtle couldn't roll over so she could get back up with all the clothes she had on. (It was probably 10F) I got her back onto her feet and she seemed OK, but by now it was pretty dark and we were on a dark and fairly slick bike path in the middle of the city. I was like "Ma'am, I'm not sure this is a dangerous neighborhood, but I'm not sure I'd want my wife out here alone at this time of night never mind my Mom." So, I walked with her to the next cross street (~10 minutes), and then had about 2 miles to go to my car. I was pretty frozen at this time, so figured I'd finish up the 2 intervals I had left so I could get home quickly. When I got back to the car I was so cold I had to hold my keys with both hands to open the car. The next day about 2 miles into a run my calf started giving me grief, feels like a strain. Bit of a bummer since I've been in the best shape I've ever been in.

Really dumb for:
A) Tempo run the day after hard bike intervals when I'm just starting up with the cycling again.
B) Doing the last 2 intervals after stopping for ~15 minutes in the freezing cold. I think this was the real problem.

Bit of a bummer...I've been running a lot lately and was starting to feel invincible...I'd hate to have to get back in the pool this early in the year.

Good luck at your race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Interesting, points for weights but not childcare. Childcare is the hardest workout I do, but yet people wrongly assume I just plunk them in front of the TV and go make spreadsheets on the computer, drink Scotch and fantasize about ellipitical trainers, yet I get no points. Wah. Wah.

So how many aerobic points for x-c skiing?

Are there points for being an intolerant dick? If so, you should win a few. Jesus, where did I whine, I merely said it was interesting. I could give a fuck about ST aerobic points. Do I win something?
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, good on you for potentially saving this woman's life!

My 800's were not hard but not easy either. I should be able to sustain this pace over 10K, but that's why we have races....if we just went on theoretical fitness, we'd just submit FTP numbers and intervals sets to Training peaks and they'd just crunch an algorithm and put out race results without us having to show up! Just wondering if I can submit my training results to training peaks and have WTC send me Clearwater or Kona slots based on the results (or not....).

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Points for Skiing? [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Interesting, points for weights but not childcare. Childcare is the hardest workout I do, but yet people wrongly assume I just plunk them in front of the TV and go make spreadsheets on the computer, drink Scotch and fantasize about ellipitical trainers, yet I get no points. Wah. Wah.

So how many aerobic points for x-c skiing?

Are there points for being an intolerant dick? If so, you should win a few. Jesus, where did I whine, I merely said it was interesting. I could give a fuck about ST aerobic points. Do I win something?

Hey Saltman, you're right that was a pretty dickheaded comment. Apologies. Not so sure if it was intolerant though.
As for aerobic points all I care is that I beat Fix, just don't let him know ;)

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First I would like to say that I am sorry. Sorry for what you might ask ? Sorry for putting down 10 miles in the morning before I did it. I needed the extra boost to get me going As I did over a hour last night on roller's and was feeling worn down. I did remember to spin legs out though. So i went to gym because I did not feel like HTFU'ing and because I had my youngest with me. Ended up doing 10 miles in a hour nine minutes and 56 seconds. Take it this was on the DREADMILL so it would never equate out on the street. I had enough left to finish off 3.1 more miles at a 7 minute mile pace. I was kind of hoping to do the NJ state Half in under a hour and thirty minutes and qualify for some other race. Dont know how that is going possable. ( In a Scottish accent.) I was pretty much giving her all I got Captain....not all but it was on a dreadmill and close to all !

Quote | Reply
Fair enough, my skin isn't too thin, just thought it was odd. Anyway, apology accepted, though I wouldn't have held a grudge anyway. But you have motivated me to watch your points now! Now you have another person to worry about!
Last edited by: saltman: Jan 12, 10 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[I'm planning to run a 10K this weekend]
Assuming you are talking about Richmond Road Races, I am looking @ the 5K (I feel 10K is a bit too early for me so I can recover "quicker" and still benefit from the race and keep focusing on running and what would looks like XC skiing). & so far I am in based on the current weather forecast (which of course is pretty much useless).

Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure you do the 5k in a minimun of 30 minutes. this way it will count in the 100/100 :)

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hehe :).
There is warmup (especially when it will be probably around 10F) and coold down so I should be covered :)

Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [eparrot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started a blog that I intend to use to share ideas I've gathered from 26 years of racing triathlons. I wrote at some length of my experience moving to 7-days a week running.

http://geoffreydean.wordpress.com/

Geoff

Geoff from Indy
http://www.tlcendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [geoffreydean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last weekend I took Dev's advice a little too literally: slack off and be a Hagen Daas eatin's slug. Thank God I'm running again this week!

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ain't apologizing for shit.........
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [geoffreydean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[Now I hang up my shorts, running pants and top on a hook on the inside of my closet after each morning run and re-wear them every day for the week.]

Seriously??????? I am all for "recylcing" but I rarely exceed 2 workouts with the same clothes before they hit the washer.

[And if you swim at lunch time, do you really need to have that morning shower? Maybe instead, you could squeeze in a short run before work and have your daily shower after your swim.]
are you surprise that nobody schedules meeting with you in the morning???? (and do not get me wrong I am not like must shower/bath 3 times a day, must use hand sanitizer every 10 mins) but seriously???????

Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on the not washing clothes. Kinda nasty. I will wear outer garments, vests jackets etc a few times until they get nasty and then have to have them clean also.

As for not showering before work after running and swimming at lunch...even if I worked from home I would rather not sit around stinky all morning, at the office it would be correctly taken as a serious personal hygiene problem.

As for the running pretty much every day, I like it.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One word "swamp ass". Okay thats two words. If I am doing two runs in a day I will hang clothes up also and run a second time . Usually run the way home from work. But i do get to shower and shave at work and have a locker.

Quote | Reply
Fred, yes, Richmond 10K. I'll race as long as it is warmer than minus 15C AND the roads are not covered with snow. Otherwise, not worth racing. I'll make my final decision on Friday afternoon, but break my week's training up as if I will race.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another Hear! Hear!

I run commute each way every day wearing the same clothes to get home in the evening as I used that morning - but that's the limit. I cannot imagine wearing them again the next day ... STINKY!!! Anyhow, by now I'm at home, and unless I only own one shirt, then I have no trouble getting a clean one out for the next morning.

As for taking showers ... my golden rule: NEVER go straight from exercise to the office without passing through the SHOWER. I'm also lucky to have showers and a locker at the office; if I didn't, I would find a gym near my office. I would NOT subject my colleagues to the alternative .. even if I can't smell it.

The result: I shower twice a day most days ... inevitable if I want to avoid being a stinky git.

Send shivers down my spine just thinking about it.

shiverySteve
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [madfuzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed on the showers and clothing thing. I'll use the same clothes to commute to/from work and leave them in the locker downstairs where there is also a shower....lucky to have that. I've actually turned down jobs with companies who did not have that facility....maybe that's more important to me than an extra few $$$ of salary.

OK, today is a no running day....instead, tribute to Eric Heiden day. Morning was a hard 80 min CT ride with 12x4 min hard (kdw, I had legs today 240-310 range)....evening.... I'm heading to the speedskating oval. There are only so many days per year that I can do winter sports. I can run any day of the year.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [madfuzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I run commute each way every day wearing the same clothes to get home in the evening as I used that morning - but that's the limit. I cannot imagine wearing them again the next day ... STINKY!!! Anyhow, by now I'm at home, and unless I only own one shirt, then I have no trouble getting a clean one out for the next morning.

As for taking showers ... my golden rule: NEVER go straight from exercise to the office without passing through the SHOWER. I'm also lucky to have showers and a locker at the office; if I didn't, I would find a gym near my office. I would NOT subject my colleagues to the alternative .. even if I can't smell it.

The result: I shower twice a day most days ... inevitable if I want to avoid being a stinky git.

I'm curious - do you really smell after you dry off after a run - or do you just feel unclean? I can run in the evening, run again the next morning and as long as my hair is neat and my face is shaved, no one knows the difference. My wife is the same way. I assumed that people that workout a lot, have such dilute sweat, there is not much of an odor issue. I've let go of some of the things I used to think I had to do - like showing 2 and 3 times a day - and wearing running clothes only one time - especially in the winter. This kind of goes along with my new style of working out: I often do 4 short workouts per day and squeeze them in during very short windows of opportunity. I wouldn't be able to do this if I felt the need to be completely fresh and showered after every single workout. I don't know if I am getting away with this because of my new mind set or if it's a matter of an apparent unique body chemistry. If the latter is the case, my wife must have this body chemistry too. We both have professional jobs and work in professional settings.

Geoff from Indy
http://www.tlcendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you live in the tropics like us.
Cant imagine just hanging my run clothes to dry and wear them again for the next run here....always in the mid-20s to 30s here centigrade....

"Pain is NOT temporary,you remember every bit of it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe i'm a rarer exception than I thought .. but I'm definitely stinky (and stinkier as the sweat dries!) I don't think dry towelling removes enough .. maybe if I used a wet towel? But that's almost a shower!

Maybe it's my body chemistry, maybe it's my diet ... and I think I've become more sensitive to it (or more stinky!) as I've got older too.

I once saw a TV programme that said that people all have different kinds of natural body "odours", and what smells nice to one person smells unpleasant to another - which is one component of what attracts people to one another (and one reason why humans are inclined to invest in perfumery).

It could be that you and your wife don't perceive each other's "smell" as unpleasant (.. the latter theory would make that quite likely ..) ... I guess the only way to know would be to ask your work colleagues if they agree.

If you're lucky enough to get away with what I cannot, then good luck to you. But, I'd hesitate to recommend it to others.

UnluckilyStinkySteve
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [dennism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back on topic here . I ran 12.30 long miles on treadmill ( 1 hr 24 minutes and some) Last minute of dreadmill run was a sprint @ 11 mph (stupid I know.) But how the heck do you pull a muscle right around the tricept- bicept? It is a bit sore now. I must have been a flailing ,rubbery looking spectacle on that dreadmill when i did that last minute. think two people moved each a dreadmill away on either side because of the splash zone . LOL... Where were the 4 bantering Chinese ladies then? Guess i am going to have to work on late race form. Did core right after run... Man did that hurt, then went and had a large thin crust tomato pie with my youngest. Hoping arm feels better for tommorow's ten mile run and swim workout. Haha who thought I would be icing my arm after a run?

Quote | Reply
Running after work today and checked last year`s 100/100, i am currently running more this time compared to last year :) hopefully i get to #70 or 80. knock on wood....ramping it up every two weeks and hopefully i stay injury free

"Pain is NOT temporary,you remember every bit of it"
Quote Reply

Prev Next