Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm taking credit for today's run. I was at 29:28 when I stopped because there was
an obvious lost dog with no tags. He was small enough that I could carry him, and my
garmin took me to 30:20. I'm hoping his owners are going to be calling shortly
to pick him up. (Local kids knew whose dog he was and i was able to search for
them on the interweb and call).

I'm sure I ran for another 30 seconds sometime today to give me the cumulative,
and I'm taking the good karma. :)

As for the distance, I'm at 25 runs (once I log this one) and something like 80 miles, and
I'm close to the slowest one. I too think that even a slug like me would have to work to
stay under 250 miles.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did 5 miles today and legs felt like i had on concrete shoes. But they kept wanting to go not go fast but go. Think it is because I did a 45 minutes on the rollers last night beofre putting the kids to bed and then going to bed myself. Come to think of it got to log the roller time in. Oh well...... no time now of to my sons first reconciliation.

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm putting this out there so I don't DNF.

Today is a 50k that starts at 3pm. It is a multi loop trail run and will be muddy as hell and frakking cold. I have no idea how I'll do but coach has confidence so I will too.

There, now I can't DNF because the shame will be too great.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know game, your gonna have to get a ruling from Jen or Dev....hehehe

Me personally, I would say the extra 30 secs you ran qualifies your run.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did my first qualifying run for the HTFU challenge this year. I ran on a treadmill and watched Arnold Swartzenegger and a Prehot Alyssa Milano in "Commando" from opening to closing credits.

I came close to giving in to the painful mental torture of watching Ahnald utter classically bad dialogue like:

"Don't disturb my friend; he's dead tired."

"I eat Green Berets for breakfast"

"I'll be back Bennett!" (He really says it!)

"Let off some steam Bennett!"

But I prevailed.

High five myself.

I feel dirty now. Especially since I bought the movie out of Future Shop's five buck bins.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Classic Arnold

That is certainly and HTFU run, that is a long time to be on a treadmill, but I am sure the cinematic genius made the time fly by :-)

Ewan

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! There is something about the classic Arnold flicks that never really get old.

Here's how my run went:

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well at least you did it. Looks like it was fun and torture at the same time. Did 6.1 this morning it was 22 dgrees on my thermometer. Little over 8 minute miles

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No running for me today. I'm ahead of my desired mileage rate (8K per day). Hard ride AM, hard XC ski PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice Jen...where's your gators?
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [jime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hehh....they are in there somewhere!

Jen

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There is no distace requirement. You just have to run. That means taking flight on each stride (both feet leave the ground). The question is "how slow can you do this without doing jumping jacks (illegal...you have to make forward progress and take fight on each stride).

Mostly tongue in cheek here, but as a former racewalker, would walking like I did in races count as running? many of us do leave the ground for a fraction of a second at say 20K race pace, it's just not visible to the human eye (which is the criteria in the race walking rules).

I say tongue in cheek because obviously I know that any sort of walk shouldn't count because it's contrary to the spirit of the rules.

Once you arrive at the race, deposit your excuses in the same location as last night's pasta.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [eparrot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
speaking of race walking, I was running on the local bikepath this morning, there was a race walker out there who looked pretty serious, he even had a guy on a bike riding along with him and handing him gu and water.

not only that, he was going pretty fast too!!!, the upper half of his body looked like he was running, the legs were weird.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
speaking of race walking, I was running on the local bikepath this morning, there was a race walker out there who looked pretty serious, he even had a guy on a bike riding along with him and handing him gu and water.

not only that, he was going pretty fast too!!!, the upper half of his body looked like he was running, the legs were weird.

IRONwolf - whereabouts did you see him? If he was an elite or close to it, there are so few of them, I probably know who he is :) National 50K/World Cup qualifier is in a few weeks so likely it's someone training for that. In the 20K, you wouldn't be likely to be doing a workout where someone handed you Gu and water - possible but not likely.

The 20K guys are mostly off the ground if you view them on stop frame film, but it's hard to definitively see the space watching at full speed. And yeah, it is a lot like running, even aside from the time spent off the ground. You have to drive your arms harder, but the focus is backwards not forwards, which actually isn't a bad thing for runners to think about, either. This little youtube clip shows some of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO9dLqfaU-c

The guy in blue in front is Jefferson Perez, widely considered to have the best technique in the world. These guys are probably going 7:00 pace, but if you watch Perez even in slo-mo, you will not be able to see his feet off the ground. he has to get down closer to 6:00 pace before even stop-video catches him off the ground.

Once you arrive at the race, deposit your excuses in the same location as last night's pasta.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [eparrot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you leave the ground with both feet and go airborne, you'd be DQ'd in a race walking event, and we welcome that stride as counting towards the 100/100. Anything that the IAAF would deem as legal in a race walking event would get the stride DQ's at 100/100. Basically where the IAAF race walking rules end, 100/100 kicks in :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jen, I see them...man I'm going blind. When you said they were there i looked again and son of a gun.....I saw them. I need to get some for our defense of the Virgil Trail 100 Relay ( 3 person team ) We are the reigning world champions....lol

I'm back in the game. I ran my first double today. Second one tonight with my son Matt. I love those runs with him. I'm bringing my running stuff with me to work tomorrow. Tell B to watch his back!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you leave the ground with both feet and go airborne, you'd be DQ'd in a race walking event, and we welcome that stride as counting towards the 100/100. Anything that the IAAF would deem as legal in a race walking event would get the stride DQ's at 100/100. Basically where the IAAF race walking rules end, 100/100 kicks in :-)

Makes sense to me! Only 2 miles of racewalking for me since the challenge started, so it won't be an issue.

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [jime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair, they were so covered in mud it was hard to tell were they were!

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Starting my going long program today. Maybe with a short 8 mile run though. When I went skiing last week hurt the bone that connects to the big toe right around the upper insole area. When I land on it it like in a sprint or close to that hurts like a bit_ _ !! Some how jammed it in my ski boot. Guess 40 year old goofballs are not meant to do 360's , daffies and back scratchers :)

Quote | Reply
Will someone explain or point to some place where I can read about how the points are calculated for the 100/100. The guy just above me in the spreadsheet has run 2 min less than me, 4.8K more and somehow he almost got twice as many points that I got...why?
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [jkLundin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Points are accumulated training totals. So they have more points probably
because they are doing swim/bike, which aren't included in the running
challenge.

I know I've seen it explained before (because I asked) but don't have a link.
Let me see if I can dig it out.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found it.

1 mile cycling = 1 point
1/4 mile running = 1 points
100 meters swimming = 1 point

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Points are accumulated training totals. So they have more points probably
because they are doing swim/bike, which aren't included in the running
challenge."

OK, that explains it. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting, points for weights but not Yoga. Yoga is the hardest workout I do, but yet people wrongly assume its simply stretching.
Quote Reply
Points for Skiing? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, points for weights but not childcare. Childcare is the hardest workout I do, but yet people wrongly assume I just plunk them in front of the TV and go make spreadsheets on the computer, drink Scotch and fantasize about ellipitical trainers, yet I get no points. Wah. Wah.

So how many aerobic points for x-c skiing?

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Last edited by: Tri Bread: Jan 12, 10 5:31
Quote Reply

Prev Next