Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im actually feeling like I need to ramp it up a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this Dev - I was looking for a new year boost for training and this is it. Today is day 3. My goal is to get in 40 runs by the end of this as I want to have a few days of swimming and bike rollers.

--
Paul Lantinga
Sable WaterOptics from See Worthy
paul@sablewateroptics.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"...However, if you are racing M45-49 in 2010, please disregard the above. Make sure you do daily doubles of 10K minimum at paces no slower than 6 min per mile with at least 1000 ft of vertical up and down per run....that should cover it...."

Well, I took my advice for the 45-49 guys. Put on my racing flats this morning and ran 2K warmup over to a 1.2K loop I have measured out around a few streets in my neigbourhood. Did 5x1000m in 4:05 to 3:40 range (descending) with 200m easy recovery, and then ran the 2K back home. But there won't be any double run nor 1000 foot of vertical today :-).

OK back to the regular programming....do as I say, not as I do.... cause I might have a slightly more robust base than you :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about you test that "speed" at the Richmond road 10K or 5K next weekend following this one???
:)

Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Im actually feeling like I need to ramp it up a bit.

me too....I am resisting the urge, but the urge is getting really strong. I started my run build back in mid-October at 10 miles/week. Over 12 weeks I have built up to a whopping 22 miles/week. I feel really really good, but I want to stay safe. I have done no speedwork and no tempo work. I do have an 8K race in 2 months and I am feeling a bit behind schedule though. Would like to run sub 7/mile pace and haven't even tried to run "fast". Last night I did 3.6 miles at about 8.20/pace and that was easily my swiftest run during this build. I didn't realize I was running that fast until I was done or I would have backed off a bit. Still today, legs feel very fresh.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've thought about doing Mooseman because it is close to where I grew up, and because of the t-shirt and medal. How cool is that? A moose!

Easy run last night on the course of the event I'm doing Saturday. It is going to be a looooong run.

Bummer . . . I'm going to be missing Mooseman this year. Of all the weekends when my wife's cousin could have gotten married . . .

One bright spot about this, though, is that as part of the negotiations to get me to go to the wedding, my wife is going to join me at Timberman and actually do the sprint, as her first ever race. (It was her own idea.)

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a cousin not like a brother or sister. They will understand. Though for 250.00 you probably get a better meal at the wedding and it will take a good 5 hrs out of your day to. Just hope there is a open bar for you since there will be no open water .. HAHAHAHA :) Okay I am sorry i really need to run more and this slow week down time is KILLING me. But I am staying the course even kept a 8 minute mile on treadmill this morning. thats cool with the wife doing the sprint !! Signed my wife to do the Philly sprint as her first this year. great thing about it is we can bring the kids as the sprint is on a saturday and the Oly on sunday (tag your it.) and the race is right near the please touch museum and hotel right at Independance hall.

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stupid cousins.

So far, in the 9 years I've been a runner and triathlete, my husband has done two 5ks with me, and we walked a lot of them. I was thrilled to have him out there. It was about 3 years ago and sadly that convinced him he will never be an athlete.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Did 5x1000m in 4:05 to 3:40 range"

What do you call those, recovery intervals?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has probably been asked before,but is there a way (in the workout section of the training log) to change the Summary for the week/month/year to read miles and not kilometers?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [catmandu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the main menu click Profile Settings and then "User Profile" and it is down at the bottom. You can also change yourself into male or female as it strikes your fancy.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in doughboy mode right now....that's redline!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, I love your definition of doughboy mode. You should see mine!!

Just be careful you stay at your current level of fitness. No more then a 10% increase in your total mileage and base that off your yearly average not your monthly or weekly average :)

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of sheer boredom, and because I just love screwing around with spreadsheets, I ran through a 'projection' since we're at the quarter pole.

As of now there are 11 individuals on pace for the full platinum (including both frequency and distance requirements): bmanners, jmaley, Mike Plumb, JeffJ, OldAndInTheWay, konaexpress, DaveB CRV, Tri2HaveFun, Tri N OC, and andy l (JeffJ is on pace to run just under 10 MILES PER DAY...I can't really wrap my head around that number).

There are another 10 people on pace for 90 and 900km; 24 looking good for 80/800, and then the group I'm presently a part of, 70/700, consists of 34 individuals.

I'll do this at the halfway mark and again when we're at 75 days, just to see how things play out as we move closer and closer to the final days.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got some catching up to do because of taper for a race but I'll get at a minimum the 90/100 and working hard for the 100/100.

I'm doing a long race on Saturday and was strategizing with coach. We decided I should rest half way through for an hour so I get two runs out of it. Or, drag it out until midnight then put in 30 minutes so the run counts as two.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As of now there are 11 individuals on pace for the full platinum (including both frequency and distance requirements) ...
I just went back and reread the original post again. I didn't think there was any distance requirement ... and I still don't see one. In the do's and don'ts section it does say we can run as slow as we want, which infers no minimum distance.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Micawber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
As of now there are 11 individuals on pace for the full platinum (including both frequency and distance requirements) ...

I just went back and reread the original post again. I didn't think there was any distance requirement ... and I still don't see one. In the do's and don'ts section it does say we can run as slow as we want, which infers no minimum distance.

I guess that's something that Dev will have to clarify. I thought it was laid out in that manner (platinum: 100+ runs, 1000+ km; gold 90+ runs, 900+ km) because I had seen this posted by Dev: My goal this year is silver club (80 runs and cover 800K ). However, looking back at the first post you're right, there's nothing mentioning a specific distance.

Dev: is there a distance requirement too, or did I misinterpret your post?
Last edited by: Brownie28: Jan 8, 10 14:32
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Micawber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no distace requirement. You just have to run. That means taking flight on each stride (both feet leave the ground). The question is "how slow can you do this without doing jumping jacks (illegal...you have to make forward progress and take fight on each stride).

Let's assume that the number 4 mph, which is 15 minute miles, is potentially the slowest a human could go with both feet leaving the ground on each stride (this is debate-able....but stay with me).

100x30 min runs is 50 hours. If you run 4 mph, that gives you minimum distance of 200 miles or 320 kilometers.

The reality is that there is no distance requirement, but I thought it would be intersting to do the math. If we say the slowest you could legitimately run (take flight on each stride...no walking) is 5 mph (that's a 5:14 marathon pace), then the total ends up at 250 miles....

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,
Great warning for a lot of the newcomers because this challenge starts more around the 30 day mark and goes to about the 80 day mark. I missed the first 4 days with a mild injury and wanted to dial down my running fitness because it was too high for December to get the build needed for the next season. I am using the same strategy as last year to get the 90/900 mark and take out the first 50 days a little below the average and pick it up around the 60 day mark this helped me reach a great peak for the early season races. I am seeing way too many runners who are on pace for way more than the 100 runs when last years totals did not indicate they are near this level. I have been doing this stuff for long enough to know that no awards are ever given for your training log. I also want to add that not only should the M45-49 age groupers disregard your advice but also the M 55-59 age group as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Bummer . . . I'm going to be missing Mooseman this year. Of all the weekends when my wife's cousin could have gotten married . . .

One bright spot about this, though, is that as part of the negotiations to get me to go to the wedding, my wife is going to join me at Timberman and actually do the sprint, as her first ever race. (It was her own idea.)

Cool. I'm doing Timberman too. In fact Mooseman and Timberman are basically my whole tri-season this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There is no distace requirement. You just have to run. That means taking flight on each stride (both feet leave the ground). The question is "how slow can you do this without doing jumping jacks (illegal...you have to make forward progress and take fight on each stride).

Let's assume that the number 4 mph, which is 15 minute miles, is potentially the slowest a human could go with both feet leaving the ground on each stride (this is debate-able....but stay with me).

100x30 min runs is 50 hours. If you run 4 mph, that gives you minimum distance of 200 miles or 320 kilometers.

The reality is that there is no distance requirement, but I thought it would be intersting to do the math. If we say the slowest you could legitimately run (take flight on each stride...no walking) is 5 mph (that's a 5:14 marathon pace), then the total ends up at 250 miles....

Dev

Fair enough. It looked to me like you had set up a 100/1000, 90/900, etc structure but I guess I'm mistaken.

In that case then the projections are considerably easier, no spreadsheet needed...kinda makes me sad, actually.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Cool. I'm doing Timberman too. In fact Mooseman and Timberman are basically my whole tri-season this year.

Well, yeah . . . that was part of the psychology my wife was using on me to convince me to go along with this plan of hers. She said, "Sure, you've done Mooseman before - but Timberman is probably much cooler. Besides, all of your imaginary friends from Slowtwitch will be there."

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally for "myself" my goal is to average 10K per run. I'm aiming for 800K over the time frame. I'm note really too worried whether this takes me 80 runs or 70 runs. I just want to get to 800K. That will get me a solid base for Wildflower+IM France.

But, no, there is no distance requirement to achieve the various levels. I'd be shocked if anyone can actually get to 100 runs and not log at least 250 miles. It would take a lot of runs of minimum length at "almost walking speed".

Anyway, as Scot and I have said in the past few days, we just got through the warmup. The next 50 days or so constitute the meat of this base building and by day 75, you're really around 90% done, cause if you make it to there, you'll likely make it to 100 barring a catastrophic injury from a crash (ex. I broke my fibula around that time in a ski accident last year), or some kind of sickness. But a running related injury won't derail you if you get to day 75 unscathed.
Quote Reply

Prev Next