Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev,

Thank you for setting this up again this year. I am always inspired by the pictures and stories of others running in Polar Bear environments while I have a hard time getting out the door in So Calif.
I do not post often as not much of what I do in this sport is significant enough to share with anyone but today was different. This morning I ran easy for 36:30. Sure my ankle and foot are still a little sore from rolling my mtn. bike last week but this morning there was an unusual spring in my step as I ran along the dark streets. Not enough spring to make me run fast, but enough to put a smile on my aging grill, for today was my first day of retirement after 29 years, 4 months and 10 days at 5 different iterations of the phone company (Divestiture, mergers, acquisitions etc.). Pension + buyout + benefits made it worthwhile for me to start a career with another company. I am grateful for the years with Ma Bell, my new job opportunity and the motivation that I get out of reading about others sharing their passion for triathlon. For all of the participants in the challenge- keep up the good work!

For any of you with advice on successfully migrating from a corporate behemoth to working from home for a small sales company I will post a thread in the L Room in the next few days to solicit your input.

JKP
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just went over 2000 miles for the year and going on third week of 70 plus. My thinking was... as I have been saying To work on my 10k speed which I think I have brought down. Everyone say's the gains are there by doing the higher mileage. Well some say that. It does feel like I have made gains and it shows on workout's. Weeks leading up to this I was doing some 10,12 and 16 mile runs totaling 50 to 60 some miles a week. So I went back for some speed training and i am backing off the total mileage after next week. They say 3-5 weeks of high mileage then back off a week to realize gain's. RIGHT? Then I wanted to throw some bigger mileage day's in for three or so weeks and then back to speed work a bit. So my runs mainly have been 38-50 minute 6 miles and change runs and then 35 - 45 minute 4 and change mile runs. Think there was a 8 or 9 miler in there a time or two. Might do it again 2morrow to get weekly mileage up. Have i been chasing the spreadsheet YES but in a controlled way as not to hurt myself. At least I think it is. I have put the base in to do the higher mileage but I know I am the lilfish here with some ginormous big fish. I am triing to soak in all advice I can to stay healthy and have a break out season.

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike....if you read pretty well every book on running, there is not a single "mainstream running program" that preaches runs of exclusively 30 minutes each. While your situation may be different, it is perhaps more of an outlier than optimal training as generally accepted by the running world. Sure it works for you, but you're doing a lot more than a massive amount of minimum runs only.

But let me ask you this....if one's knees bother them beyond a certain point, is it worth running 80 miles per week, when one might just be better off cutting it back to 50 miles and replacing the extra runs with riding or swimming, or strength training or core training?

A question to all of us more than you specifically, but what is the cost benefit of those final 20 miles per week in our programs? If one is on 20 miles per week, getting up to 40 might yield massive gains. If already at 40 then going to 60 for some who are biomechanically sound might offer an additional level of payback, whereas, for others already with suspect chassis, this might start falling into the high risk low reward category.

Going from 60-80, the sliver of the tri population benefiting from the further increase in mileage starts to fall offdramatically, the risks going higher and higher for the mainstream. We each have to look at our mix of mileage, intensity, overall load, impact on immediate performance, and impact on long term sustainability. Most of us don't ask these questions until it is too late.

I'm just putting this out there NOW starting week three so people think a bit before they get too far in and implode. Still over 80 days of running left. We've barely gotten out of the starting gate.

As for aerobic points, my training is no different than what I normally do (in fact it is less ski volume and way more intensity than normal....can show you my hard copy logs from 2005-2008, or you can look at my Dec 2008 right here on ST before the points system was instituted).

When Slowman set up the log (before aerobic points were included), as a user of the log, I asked for walking/hiking and XC skiing to be included (as you know, this was Slowman's first competitive sport while in highschool in Lake Tahoe). That's before they set up points for each sport in each challenge. Anyway, go sort every challenge through the year (including thse over the summer and guess who ends up top 10 by points when there is just biking swim run). Again, I did not set up the points system, slowman did. I do the training I am going to do to have success in racing, not because a spreadsheet exists somwhere online (you know that from my race results).

EDIT:

Log data added in (please note that in the first part of Dec 2008, 247 km of XC ski was logged in other before the category was added by the ST log per my request....so really 586K)

Dec-08

xcski 23:55 339 km
other 17:45 247 km
bike 10:10 312 km
swim 1:52 6,200 m
run 22:30 291.5 km
Total 76:12 1,195.7 km

Dec-09 (excludes Dec 31....I'll be doing 4.5 hours tomorrow)
xcski 26:48 388 km
other 2:35 0 km
bike 22:18 740 km
run 17:23 213.5 km
Total 69:04 1,341.5 km

If anything could you guys ask Slowman to get XC skiing points derated. Right now doing 9 miles of XC skiing in an hour gets you 27 points. Swimming 2700 meters in an hour gets you 27 points, running 6.75 miles in an hour gets you 27 points. Riding 27 miles in an hour gets you 27 points (this one would be almost impossible....). I'd prefer if you only got 20 points off 9 miles (~2.25 points per mile, or even 2.5 would be better). I've already explained this many times to Rappstar and Slowman. Would love it if you could lobby for that. Anyway, look at most active users for the last month by hours...guess who is there...and I was in Nov, Oct, Sep....its just what I do.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 30, 09 18:36
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeezy weezy dev, way to piss in my pot....why the hell set up the challenge in the first place? I am certainly not compromising my overall strategy, but I would be lying if I said on no less than 3 occasions I have decided to skip a rest day and just do a short recovery run to stay further up the standings. I mean isn't that the point? Chase the spreadsheet within reason? Rather than take a rest when I didn't really need it, do a recovery run? I have used it the challenge to my benefit, I have a well thought out strategy, but yeah its kind of fun "moving up" the standings. Excuse me for livin!

With respect to athletics. 99% of the people that practiced the hardest, also played the hardest and became the best players, at least in the sports I played.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll probably just withdraw from the challenge at some point.

Why withdraw? Don't want to crush dreams? For myself, I look forward to your posts and tips. The ChuckieV article you posted was great and got me out of the house late night for another run.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Chase the spreadsheet within reason"

You said it best my friend....within reason. Let's use it to lift our fitness, but let's not let it drive our actions to the point that we hurt ourselves.

WRT to 99% who practiced the hardest played the hardest and became the best players, I'm assuming that you were not part of a track team, where it's the other 1% who knew when to back off just a touch that won the medals in racing :-). We're not talking slackers here, just the guys who know when and where to burn their matches.

Think about it this way.....we're in an Ironman and barely gotten around the first swim buoy. Do you chase the competition now and blow up, or do you pace yourself to get to mile 16 in the run ready to uncork a final closing 10 when you "play for dough?" If you have trouble pacing in racing when the competition is blowing by, this is a great time to practice that phychology...let the competition do what they will do when it is early in the game....you have your game plan for the big picture....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off day today. Well, not exactly an off day. Woke up at 3:45 AM, looked at the treadmill and started work instead. Worked from 4AM to 9PM on my feet without a break. Decided a mojito would be more therapeutic than a run. Tomorrow is looking very similar. Crazy busy.

Last year on NYE I started work in my kitchen at 3:45 AM, worked straight through until 11PM, zipped back to my room, ran for 30 minutes, showered and made it back into the bar before the countdown. I will shoot for a repeat this year.

Happy New Year everyone.

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't do the challenge last year, I was a judge :-)

I've got a 50k next weekend so I'll be taking a few days off around it which means I will be ending my run streak but I'll still have run every day of December and gotten in ~146 miles for the month. I'm thinking about doing a full 9 miles tomorrow to bring myself up to 150 for the month.

My only goal is to hit the 100 runs. Total mileage or time doesn't matter to me. I'm not fast so why kill myself?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenHS: Dec 30, 09 22:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A question to all of us more than you specifically, but what is the cost benefit of those final 20 miles per week in our programs? If one is on 20 miles per week, getting up to 40 might yield massive gains. If already at 40 then going to 60 for some who are biomechanically sound might offer an additional level of payback, whereas, for others already with suspect chassis, this might start falling into the high risk low reward category.

Going from 60-80, the sliver of the tri population benefiting from the further increase in mileage starts to fall offdramatically, the risks going higher and higher for the mainstream. We each have to look at our mix of mileage, intensity, overall load, impact on immediate performance, and impact on long term sustainability. Most of us don't ask these questions until it is too late.

If anything could you guys ask Slowman to get XC skiing points derated. Right now doing 9 miles of XC skiing in an hour gets you 27 points. Swimming 2700 meters in an hour gets you 27 points, running 6.75 miles in an hour gets you 27 points. Riding 27 miles in an hour gets you 27 points (this one would be almost impossible....). I'd prefer if you only got 20 points off 9 miles (~2.25 points per mile, or even 2.5 would be better). I've already explained this many times to Rappstar and Slowman. Would love it if you could lobby for that. Anyway, look at most active users for the last month by hours...guess who is there...and I was in Nov, Oct, Sep....its just what I do.

I'll leave triathlons aside since I don't know what balance works best when you're doing all three. But going from 40-60 yields serious benefits for most if the runners I've coached. Going from 60-80 starts to vary more by individual. The reasons for this are myriad, and the more mileage you add, the more you have to pay attention to the type of training you're adding in order to get the extra benefits. It has also been my experience that many of the benefits of truly higher mileage are measured in years, not in weeks and months. I'd also note that in theory this is our base period, and while good solid 75-80% HR runs or fartleks are part of any good base period, any faster than that should be more limited at this time of year than at any other time of year. Which should allow higher mileage. Finally, Paul you're right about the risk. For those who've experimented over the years, don't mess with what has worked. But many have never tried methodically increasing their mileage, and if they never take the risk, they'll never know.

regarding points, I have to chuckle. I can't speak to X/C skiing, but it seems to be an accepted fact in tri circles that an hour of biking is worth less than an hour of running. On average, that's probably accurate for most people. But when I do 30-60 minutes on the bike steady at 75% HR, which is a staple for me, it's exactly as hard a workout as when I do 30-60 minutes running at 75% HR.

Thanks for the challenge!

Once you arrive at the race, deposit your excuses in the same location as last night's pasta.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [eparrot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beautiful run on 17 mile drive from Pacific Grove along Asilomar State Beach yesterday. The setting was ridiculously gorgeous, and I was feeling good. That's a good combination.

Today I think I will end the year with a run at Point Lobos SP.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went a little longer this morning and skipped the 1000 meters of swimming. Did 10.3 on dreadmill was boring as Hell ! ! ! Do you know how many pathetic people there are at the gym on NYE @ 5 in the morning ? One me !!!... Okay there were about 5 others...LOL ... Left gym and it was snowwing. Another magical Day for the Christmas season. Think ( maybe) i will skip the evening run and play with the kiddies in the snow. Can't wait to get home from work and hit the kids with snowballs. They are home making a fort to hide in as we speak.

Quote | Reply
Do you chase the competition now and blow up, or do you pace yourself to get to mile 16 in the run ready to uncork a final closing 10 when you "play for dough?"

Damn you!

Yes, I was a sprinter on the track team. Translation: I did nothing in practice and just showed up at meets with track shoes and genetics.

I hear you though, I don't have any interest in trying to run 200 times in 100 days. I haven't necessarily given up on 100 however, would be pretty cool and provided I stay healthy would have to reap some big benefits later.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK Point Lobos will have to wait, but the trails at Jack's Peak were awesome. I ran on a carpet of pine needles the whole way. The downhills were fun, and the uphills kept me honest.

Happy new year Slowtwitchia.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [eparrot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy New Year's Eve to all. My party with friends is done.....16k run with >1000 ft vertical, followed by 50K XC ski with ~3000 ft (need to see the final GPS data from my buddy, but the distance was 50K even). Then all you can eat Indian food. Now with family and we'll start heating up the Thai take out shortly.

Hopefully your 2010 has as many or more successes as you had in 2009 and you have a solid year of PB's no injuries and good health (no heart attacks, cancer, MS etc etc)

My 2009 was great...had some awesome winter races, broke a leg in late Feb, came back reasonably well in the spring, had strong races mid/late summer and an awesome set of running races in the fall leading up to and including Clearwater. No complaints here. Almost a good a year as 2006. I did also get my first overall race win in 2009 in a solid field (winter tri) , so that was a bonus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy New Year Dev and thx for the challenge!!! Goals are always great...buddy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy new year everyone just logged my last run of 2009 in. My wife said the party is not till 9 so I had a chance to get out. 4.1 miles at a 9 minute mile pace worked on form and recovery. Need to stop moving shoulders so much as I run wasted energy. Anyway

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL ! ! ! !! !!

Quote | Reply
Wrapped up 2009 with a run streak of every day in December. Shortest run was 30 mins, longest 2 hours. 147 miles for the month.

I did some rough math earlier and came out to around 1250 miles for the year. I think I only missed about 20 days of running, if that. I should have kept better track. I know I missed 5 days for a cold in Feb, a couple days for race prep/recovery and a migraine or two. 20 is pretty close.

Best running year ever for me. PRs at the 10k, 50k and 50 mile distances. Set a personal record of 103 day running streak in the spring. Completed my longest running event, a 100k, and had a great time at Ultraman Canada with Captain Canada. Not one injury. I don't think I took a day off for any run related aches or pains. Pretty amazing. Thank you to desert dude who got this out of me. Apparently I've always been a runner hiding inside a triathlete.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats to you Jen.

"...Thank you to desert dude who got this out of me..."

Now maybe Desertdude needs to apply this plan to himself or he's going to have too show up to ST on May 3rd to explain why he got beaten by me at Wildflower and there is nothing worse at an ST smackdown than going slower than Dev pace (just ask Murphy's Law) :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever thought of adding bonus points if you are running and it is below -10 or if it is snowing? Seems to me that the slower run pace in the snow should be accommodated in your points system. Especially since the canal trail in Ottawa never gets plowed very well!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [homey130] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, it is what it is. If you have to shuffle through knee high snow, then suffer it out. Same with minus 20. No sympathy either for the Tuscon guys when it is 112F in June and we're cruising in 70F....it all evens out. By the way there are plenty of places to run other than the canal (for example, head over to Parliament hill and run repeats up from the river....that road is always clean). I just ran right down the middle of the road this morning after the snow plough went by....very little traffic on Jan 1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't worry, I'll crack the whip.

:-)

Jen

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [homey130] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm from Ottawa as well. Have to deal with the same stuff.

I think I've posted only once before so I'm not going to be rude and say something like HTFU or "That's some other f--king challenge". :)

But seriously...have the other Ottawa challengers thought about a real live run together (vs the virtual ones)?

cheers,
Albert (aka alboodie)
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [alboodie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously you guys missed my Winterman 16K run 50K ski yesterday (its only in the footer of my trirudy.com signature for an entire year....) :-). I'll run with you guys in racing....too hard to coordinate additional group training with other guys outside of what I already have on the go between work, coaching kids, my own training group and training with friends.

Next time I'm doing repeats on Parliament Hill, or a hill run on Notch Road+Kingsmere Road I'll post here if you guys want to jump in. In general though, no one really seems to want to do that, since its the hardest run terrain around. Most people prefer to run around the canal, which I have zero interest in doing outside of racing :-).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry dev had to get a run in today not to chase spreadsheet but so not to fall to far behind to do the 70 miles this week so i can start a less mileage week next to try to realize any gain. Just wonder what I should go down to so as not to push to hard and or lose fitness.

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took my easy week this week. Only one run per day and a complete day off (today). I actually felt better during that first week of 80 miles then I did this week with half that mileage.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply

Prev Next