Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went to the Y with mom and dad to use the treadmills. This is quite an occasion as they are the sedentary type. Mom went 40 min at 3 mph and 3% incline. That's pretty good.

I ran 30 min at 6 mph, 6% incline. I actually like the treadmill, but I haven't learned to take it easy on the damn thing. It's just too tempting to keep pushing those up buttons until 5 minutes seem like a loooong time.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another tough run on local trails after work. Lots of nasty rocks and roots. Hard to stay upright! 2 huge long hills too. The 3lbs I've gained came back to haunt me.

Tongue

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenHS: Dec 29, 09 23:44
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it wrong to be doing just above the minimum? I've been hitting each day but barely get up over 30 minutes at a time. Rehabbing some late season ITB issues so just running easy for 30-35 minutes each day. I'm at 16 runs, but pretty much lowest in distance for 16. Is that wrong? I'm sure I'll pick it up... back to 30 mile weeks already and going to slowly build up to 40-45. But feel like i'm just getting by with my 15 pieces of flair.

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [mrtrik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing wrong with that i guess, been doing what you have been doing but with 2 longer runs during sundays (40 mins!!) plus i still take a day off ; just taking it really easy this time and want to reach the 70-80 mark plus of course not get injured doing this challenge.

"Pain is NOT temporary,you remember every bit of it"
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [mrtrik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing wrong with that at all. If you're ramping up it's
smart to go with the minimum for a while before you increase
the distances. I think I did that for the first 30-40 days
last year. This challenge is about consistency, not about
killing yourself. 100 days is a long time. Be smart about it.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear ya. Last year I did 88. 527 miles... this year I'm on pace for 100 (so far!) but about 450 miles. We'll see as we move along.

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's fine but watch out for the day when Dev temporarily changes the requirements, just to see what the effect is. One day last year (just for the one day) he changed the minimum to something like 35 minutes or 40 just to see what the effect would be on the standings. He caught hell for it too, even though he made it clear he was changing it right back the next day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When the body is ready to do more, you'll know. I was at 30 min per day for a few months this year. Now 50 min seem normal. All I did was to keep the faith.

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 your body will let you know when to ramp up mileage. But be caeful another 3 weeks of 30 min. runs you might catch the wrathe of Dev. which is a good lashing through the computer. I might catch heck for last nights run. Ran around the garage bay at work which was .05 of a mile each time around. Was dizzy as heck after the run plus the engine went out two times while running. Diesal fumes were not that nice. Very slow like 9 minute miles. I do think I needed a slow, slow run. Actually did 3 miles on a elliptical b4 till I said screw this wierd contraption. Did 6.4 miles this morning in 44minutes. Think I need 3 miles more for 2000 miles this year.

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was funny last year. I remember people getting all bent out of shape.
I had a lot of runs under the threshold, but it didn't matter. The key was that
I had the runs in. I was amazed at how many people were trying to be
competitive spread sheet chasers. :)

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I'm one of the worst competitive spread sheet chasers out there. It's just that the happy side-effect is, I get in the big base I need. I always need a kick in the pants around now or I don't start building until a month after I should
Last edited by: JoeO: Dec 30, 09 9:23
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I find is, even after I build up to these longer 50 min runs, I don't want to underestimate the 30 min runs. They are a heck of a lot better than nothing. In 30 min, you still have a good 5-10 min to do quality work if you feel like it.

0.05 mile loops. LOL. Now that's hardcore!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stick with 30 - 35 a day for now. No need to go any more, we are still early into the challenge.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is it wrong to be doing just above the minimum? I've been hitting each day but barely get up over 30 minutes at a time. Rehabbing some late season ITB issues so just running easy for 30-35 minutes each day. I'm at 16 runs, but pretty much lowest in distance for 16. Is that wrong? I'm sure I'll pick it up... back to 30 mile weeks already and going to slowly build up to 40-45. But feel like i'm just getting by with my 15 pieces of flair.

I am doing the exact same thing, so it better be okay. I have a schedule that will take me to 50 miles/week by late February, but its going to be slow build in the meantime. I basically have 6 x 30 minutes scheduled this week, and then a long run of just 40-45 minutes this weekend. I will repeat this week 3 times before increasing my weekly mileage again. The last 2 weeks have been >10% increases, so a bit of a risk and I don't want to keep pressing even though the body feels good.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe, the point is that running 30 minutes every time out is not an effective running program (you know that well), especially when you run 12x in a week 30 minutes every time, some days 3-4x30 minutes. That's bordering on pathetic spreadsheet chasing.

If a person is running 4-5x per week then 4x30 min + 1x45-60 minutes is just fine. But once someone is running 5-7 hours per week there are much more effective ways to break down run training than to do 30 minutes on every run, just because that is the minimum requirement in a dumb challenge.

PEOPLE, keep in mind that this challenge is here to make you fitter, not to make you a hero on a spreadsheet. If you're already doing 5+ hours of running per week, there are many better ways to break down the training to maximize training effect than to just do a zillion short runs.

I'm the biggest proponent of short runs to help one increase mileage, but throwing out bread and butter runs like say a steady 90 minute run in favour of 3x30 minutes just for the sake of a challenge is silly.

So yes, last year, just to see what happened, I changed the minimum for a day to 33 minutes just to see what would happen and a bunch of guys got bent out of joint. The funny thing is that me changing the threshold for a day had zero impact on their accumulated fitness to date (which is what we're trying to achieve......RIGHT????). It just momentarily changed the results as presented in the spreadsheet when ordered by frequency. It just goes to show that people can't see the forest from the trees. Changing the threshold for a day does not change your fitness....just how an online sheet is seen by others.

Question to spreasheet chasers.....are you more concerned about impressing others than doing what is right for your training or fitness? Think about that one for a second....

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, chill. I understood the point last year when you did it the first time. I wasn't the one giving you hell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe, just providing the explanation now.....as this silliness of the infinite 30 minute run crew, will materialize sooner than later....
Quote Reply
Post deleted by skyman [ In reply to ]
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [skyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, just like a real training camp, we can use our peers to provide us with motivation. That can help lift our fitness. The key is to find the balance point of getting motivation off your peers to lift fitness vs doing things in our training that will be detrimental to aggregating fitness over these 100 days. But completing changing actions simply to stack up with peers is not the smart thing to do.

Anyone who played sports in highschool knows who these athlete are. They do all kinds of things in practice to impress their fellow players or coach, but have NOTHING for game day. The coach is really more impressed by actions on game day that lead to numbers going up in the win column....being studly in practice is only good if it backed up on game day....this entire challenge is one long PRACTICE....
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [skyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not me. Race results are irrelevant! I want spreadsheet victories!

Seriously, I realize I'm putting up big numbers but it's not like I haven't done this many times before. I've been running for 30 years. I've only been doing triathlons for 4. This is nothing. You should see my running log from 2003 - 2004 -- the years I had some of my best racing performances.

I told myself months ago that this winter I wanted to get my mileage back up to 2003-2004 levels because for 2010, the only goals that really matter to me are running-only goals. I'm doing Mooseman and Timberman but I'm not focusing on them.

I'll probably just withdraw from the challenge at some point. I really wanted to use it to jump-start my training. Mission accomplished there.
Last edited by: JoeO: Dec 30, 09 14:24
Quote Reply
Post deleted by skyman [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In that case, bring it. When we show up at our respective races, we can just show them our training logs and collect our prizes.

(Wait, that's now how it works? Damn!)
Last edited by: JoeO: Dec 30, 09 15:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping to podium again this year in the: "Slowest Pace to Complete the Challenge"

I think I got 3rd last year. Of course without the pace column I'll have to figure it
out manually or resort to the "Lowest Total Mileage" (because being slow I end up
there any). I think JenHS won this last year.

But I look today and this jerk ( jpruneau ) is one run up on me AND 8 miles down. How can
I compete with that? I may have to leave the challenge.

;)

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
those are some pretty broad statements in which to paint across everyone Dev. I would love to trade you my knees in a heart beat. I was told 4 years ago to stop running by my orthopedic and he (being a runner himself) knew I wasn't going to do that so he said at least limit my runs in distance. I can handle two or three 4 mile runs per day much better then I can running 12 miles straight per day. So to say so and so way is the best way to do it, keep in mind one size does not fit everyone. I can run 70 - 80 miles per week if I keep the runs between 4 - 6 miles each and just run multiple times per day, no way I could run that kind of mileage on one run per day and be able to still walk with my right knee which is bone on bone.

I think it would be kind of like saying a certain individual wanted XC skiing included in aerobic points so they could accumulate more points. Why not then include aqua jogging, resistance band swimming (in place), strength training and time spent doing core exercises?

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not then include aqua jogging, resistance band swimming (in place), strength training and time spent doing core exercises?

...and kegels. I should be allowed to count kegels.

-Jot

Quote Reply

Prev Next