Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Olivier Mouyau] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hi Vincent (Captain Canada) ... where in Canada can you run without shirt at this time of the year ... ?

Barely above 0 in Kelowna right ?

Good luck for the rest of the challenge !!

Oli.

Hehe ... it is nice and warm in my treadmill cave.

By the way I really dig the Sables, I can't wait to swim outside with them.

Cheers,

CC

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is cheating ! I live across the river from Kingston Ont. No shirtless runs for me. Today was very nice .
Last edited by: cheyou: Dec 20, 09 16:38
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 hour snowshoe then my 30 min treadmill run has made me darn tired.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oooh wah, you are only ahead by about a hundred runs. :-D

-----
Follow me on Twitter! megankillian
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [meganruns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
got out of the funk and got in a quick 30 min run. Glas I did.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I am officially the slowest runner in the challenge. I don't really care as my slow shuffle is better than not doing anything. I am using the challenge to get myself into the groove of training on a regular basis. Thanks Paul for the motivating factor!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm out. My weekly run volume jumped from 197 minutes (week of 12/7), to 263 minutes (week of 12/14) thanks to the 8 runs in first 5 days of the challenge. On the 2nd run of Saturday, my achilles was sending me a very clear signal that my 100/100 was going to end, one way or another, so I took the smart way out, with no run Sunday and a return to my 5 runs per week training plan. Good luck to the rest of you sticking it out.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can still play and go 80 runs or so...
Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fred, it's too tempting to overdo it, and also requires entering workouts twice. I'll lurk and cheer from the sidelines. Bon chance!

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tetsuoni, I was looking at the results and noted your absence. I agree with you that it is easy to get sucked in. Why don't you do like me and try to target 70-80 runs this year.

OK, today was minus 14 and a huge wind. My house is on the 5K mark of this race course:

http://www.sportstats.ca/...g&racecode=45700

So I head out the front door, look at my watch and realize I have 50 minutes before my window of running opportunity ends, so I figure I'd head out on that course. 24 minutes into the run, I was at the "start line" (which is 5K from home) and before I knew it I hit the "START" button on the Chrono of my Timex. A few strides later, it's full out race pace. Well as good as you can get to race pace in minus 14 with a ton of layers, boat anchor training shoes and iffy footing. At least the perceived exertion was identical to race pace, except I'm having to run 5K into North West wind (at least 4k of it)....oh well. I actually hammered pretty hard and did the final 5K in 21.49. Funny thing is that is slower than my half Ironman run race speed (Clearwater was 4:10 per K). Goes to show the impact of really cold temps and a ton of clothing. I should have weighed all the clothing when I came home!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear that others are getting slowed down by the conditions, too. Have spent the last few days getting reacquainted with how much it takes out of you to run in a few inches of snow. Sidewalks and roads are sort of cleared, but lots of shallow drifts and snowbanks to contend with. Even trying to run easy, it's tough to keep my HR much lower than 10K pace at times.

Also am noticing the harsh ride of the screw shoes, especially on the bare patches of pavement. The gluteus medius is not amused. Still OK to run on, especially since I've discovered that resting it doesn't really make it get better much faster than not resting it.

BTW, like last year, my mileage seems to be right about at the median for the 1x day people.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ran today in a warm gym on the treadmill. Planned on slow run but think I averaged around 7min 10 sec. mile for 7.3 miles treadmll actually read 7.49 miles but I am going with my watch. It's a little closer then yesterdays run where outside it measured .80 mile behind actual distance. Legs actually felt great to be stretched out running fast. Most miles were in the 6.35 mile per minute range as first mile was a 8 minute mile and second a 7 minute 24 sec mile. So I played catch up legs liked stretching. Will get my 4.70 mile recovery run in this evening. It is so hard to lay back on the treadmill at the gym feel like a slacker when doing 8- 8.30 minute miles. Well I am officially in the 70 mile range for the FIRST time !!!! and i feel good. Celebrated by having a dbl. cheeseburger and recovery smoothie ( mango, banana pineapple and whey) with my 5 yo at Mcd's while he ate his mcnuggets. Of course I took the top bun part off .

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [jpruneau] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh, you have a serious challenger for slowest runner. Me. But, getting in the time on your feet will help quite a bit. Enjoy getting out there and do like me, don't worry about pace. I'm just thankful that I do this at all.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, sucking up here for a mulligan - Day 1 of the challenge I felt something coming on, Day 2 starting to get sick too a day off to hope to fight it off to get back in on Day 3 but no luck, nasty cold through Day 5. I'm back, not 100% yet, but I have some catching up to do!

Head down, thumbs up, give'r
@barrettdj
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Uh, you have a serious challenger for slowest runner. Me. But, getting in the time on your feet will help quite a bit. Enjoy getting out there and do like me, don't worry about pace. I'm just thankful that I do this at all.

don't count me out either . old age makes me a serious challenger . i ain't never won nothing this might be me big chance.

Thom
Last edited by: cheyou: Dec 21, 09 14:34
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [cheyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was very disappointed last year to not be the slowest person to make the full 100. I think
I came in third.

Does anyone know how to view last year's challenge? I tried url munging but that didn't
get it.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [cheyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe that is a sub-challenge. Who has the slowest average pace? Still have to meet the criteria of the challenge and run at our typical pace.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure that's a trophy I want on my bookshelf. Hrm...

Jen

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Maybe that is a sub-challenge. Who has the slowest average pace? Still have to meet the criteria of the challenge and run at our typical pace.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure that's a trophy I want on my bookshelf. Hrm...

You should look to quote popeye "I yam what I yam!!!"

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know me, CC. I finish what I start no matter how long it takes me :-)

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should look to quote popeye "I yam what I yam!!!"

So...you call her your "Little Sweet Potato(e)" ;)

I'm down one run right now. Trying to be careful as I ramp up. Can
feel PF trying to flair up on my left foot.

Of course the goal is doubles for the next two weeks. I think that means
I drink 2x as much beer, but I have a hard time remembering.

-Jot

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most stupid run to date. Took boys to rastling practice at high school . Track was half ass shoveled/plowed w/lawn tractor in a 42" wide lane. In fact 3/4 of lane on back end was snow drift covered and ice patches all over it running with little to no light. managed 16 laps without falling and wanted to get another .30 in so figured i would take parking lot with lights. Ran around parking lot went to make 2nd turn and saw some water. I did not feel like going around so I went right over it. And OVER did i go, right on my left side. Luckily nothing got hurt. Legs felt good whole time out there but I kept it real easy 9 minute miles. Wow........ 3 years ago it would be a stretch for me calling 10 minute miles easy.

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sticking to my plan. No run today. 2 hours on the CT with the middle 1:41 50K CT ride with 3000 ft climbing, 232 average watts (3.68W/Kg), 1450 KJoules. Desertdude better be scared about Wildflower :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev,

Thanks for starting up the challenge again this year. Taking part over the past two winters has immensely helped my running. Not sure I'll make it to 100 runs this time around, but I'll do what I can. I did the first six runs of the challenge in Cuba. The conditions were very Kona-like: windy, hot and humid. In fact, except for the '50s-era cars on the streets I could have imagined myself in Hawaii. I had one of the neatest runs of my life through the streets of Havana last Thursday. Started from my guest house, ran alongside the ocean on the Malecon sea-wall (similar to the sea-wall in Stanley Park, Vancouver), up the large pedestrian boulevard of the Prado to the Capitolio, (the White House lookalike seat of the Cuban government), then through the narrow streets of Havana Vieja, dodging horses, motorcycles, dogs and pedestrians. Finished back at my guest house in time for an awesome breakfast of pineapple, papaya, eggs, fresh bread, freshly squeezed orange juice and thick, black, strong Cuban coffee.

Kind of tough to go from running in 30 degree weather with 80 percent humidity to running in -20 degree weather back here at home, though!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Rolldown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morning run on treadmill after a hour five minutes of spin class. Actually 5 minute class I get there early and keep pedaling during their warm down. Yes I am in the aero position when they come in and when they leave.take for some self induced resistance climbs. They think I am nuts!! Did the usual 6.30 miles on treadmill at a fast pace for myself 40 min 38 sec. for a 6.32 mile total. max Hr was 169 bpm and average Hr was 162 bpm. Bike Hr was max 162 bpm and average was 128 bpm. Sure wish I could give a performance on bike where mmy average Hr. would be like my run Hr. . Probably equates to a 30 mph 40k average. LOL Something to shoot for. Is your guest house empty in Cuba ? Maybe we can do a N.J. - Cuba swap? You like the Jersey shore ? Just like Cuba this time of year only a little colder !

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not "my" guest house, but the guest house in which I stayed, so sorry, can't swap! Back home in Ottawa now; I bet it's colder and windy here today than it is in NJ. Hmm, Cuba versus NJ (or Ottawa) in December; not much of a choice! This was my third trip to Cuba, but the first (and last) time I didn't take my bike. The cycling there is fantastic, and I'll try to get back there next year to do a cycle trip.
Quote Reply

Prev Next