Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [jime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woohoo in first for now. Ran a 21 min 5k this m0rning then finished 0ff run at 40 min 15 sec0nds @ 6.35 miles. Then went for swim felt great on legs. Only swam 15minutes sh0ulder feels g00d. Doubling up later tonight icing legs now.

Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [jime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C0ngrats 0n b0th races great rep0rt 0n c0zemel.Dudeu haves0me ugly feet. N0 0h 0n my daughters c0mputer s0 s0rry ab0ut that. H0pe y0u were able t0 swim with family after in mexic0 and have a fun time.Have a Merry Chirstmas.

Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slack off? Not a chance mate! Today started with an EZ run to the pool, and this arvo has a track workout in a snow storm by the looks of it. Not fond of running the curve on a wet track!

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a quick post to say hi and introduce myself ...

I'm a newbie to all this "serious" stuff, and was searching around for some way to maintain momentum and build up slowly. As I noticed the big 5 oh approaching, I decided that I needed to get going on something serious before it's "too late". Si I decided a couple of years ago to start with running by using my daily commute (about 3.5 hilly miles.)

Over the past year I've built up to 4 days per week and 2 weeks ago entered my first race: the Course de l'Escalade in Geneva (7.25 hilly kilometers) and pleased myself by beating my 35 minute target. I felt so much better after than I imagined I would, and came over all inspired ... and I decided to sign up for this challenge in the hope that it will keep me from giving up over the cold dark months (I ran in snow at 8am this morning.)

Assuming I survive the 100 in 100, I'd appreciate any tips from the many experienced folk out there on where I should aim next ... should I work next on increasing my mileage, my speed, should I add swimming (I already swim once per week) or cycling (I do own a bike ... I'm sure I've seen it somewhere) or something else?

Steve
(An old codger trying to become slightly less old and slightly more codger)
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/old+codger
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [madfuzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suggest picking a couple of races in the summer (5k & 10k perhaps or a sprint tri) and focusing on those events. Your running base should set you up for some decent speed work that will help your 5k/10k races, and if you decide to do a tri, a sprint does not require huge volume or base to prepare for unless you set a goal that is a huge step up from where you are now. I would suggest just picking some events you want to go hard, have fun and see what the output actually is. From there, add in the expectation of improving on those performances.

Welcome to the fun!

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [madfuzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Initially don't increase from 4x per week to any more than 5x per week...then in the second third of the challenge 6x per week. You might be able to get up to 7x per week with a double and a day off later in the challenge, but take is slow.

Lots of guys will start with a "sprint" and flame out before Jan 15th. We can pretty well assure you of that. The carrot of this challenge will put more people in the hurt locker and wreck their season than it will give PB's.

Thats not the fault of the challenge. Its the fault of the drivers driving the chassis harder than it is ready to be driven. Those that drive the chassis sensibly will end up with PB's next year. Only you know what that is and are the only one inside your body feeling the aches and pains in the morning when you walk downstairs.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was my fate in 2007, running well for 6 weeks, then going out like a flame. I plan to start slow this season and finish this challenge for once.

Although, I was clicking around yesterday and saw my ranking change from 11th to 10th. A thought came into my head that with not much work, I can actually lead the "race" and bask in internet glory for a few days...

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
same here, even worst for me..strained my knee which made my first du for 2009(march) a walkfest and just stopped running in june and started 4 weeks back with 10min run/jogs to 20mins and the last two days have been great but legs are a little sore so will take it easy after work today and just ride.
Did make it to the 60 day mark before injuring myself...

"Pain is NOT temporary,you remember every bit of it"
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [dennism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
similiar here. Although I made it to 89 last year the price was too high. Had a case of ITB which althogh I was able to recover failrly quickly it did stop my momentum completely and had to skip my early spring matrathon. This combined with allergies I get each spring really limited me to indoor cycling (coud'nt get near a pool..).
Hope for better and more balanced winter this year. Good luck.
Last edited by: b4itwascold: Dec 16, 09 9:17
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plan to just log in the workouts and not concentrate more on the standings...simple but hard to not be a bit obsessive :)

"Pain is NOT temporary,you remember every bit of it"
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [dennism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will try not to chase the spreadsheet as well but not sure....
My biggerst mistake last year that once I felt better I pushed harder than I should on tempo intervals and speed work. I do most of my euns on a treadmill (some trails too) and just need to be carefull and listen to the signs my body gives me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't help myself. Every time I look at that damn spreadsheet it insists on telling me I am 98 times behind. My OCD kicks in and I must run.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This morning I was #1 now back down to 5. DAMN here comes my OCD fit. MUST GO RUN ! ! ! !

Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The folks in the eastern hemisphere have the daily advantage of logging their workouts first, but we in the western hemisphere have the advantage of seeing the landscape and knowing where the competition stands. Both have their own inherent benefits, but in the end I think that being able to size up your opponent before you go into battle is the ultimate upper hand. To me, personally, both are irrelevant as my sites are set somewhere around a top 25-30 finish.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I wanted to get a clear definition of OCD and here is what I found.

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by uncontrollable, unwanted thoughts and repetitive, ritualized behaviors you feel compelled to perform. If you have OCD, you probably recognize that your obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviors are irrational – but even so, you feel unable to resist them and break free. Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) causes the brain to get stuck on a particular thought or urge.

I hope I didn't scare anyone, although there is definetly a little bit of relevance here.
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"....To me, personally, both are irrelevant as my sites are set somewhere around a top 25-30 finish...."

OK, I have to pick on you again and say this is silly. If the top 50 people happen to do 2000K of running each over 150 runs, are you going to automagically up your mileage and frequency to get into the top 25-30?

Maybe your post was in pink font, but people, please listen to me.
  1. Set your own goals based on the fitness and base you have and your desired racing goals.
  2. Use the challenge for motivation and execute on your plan.

Or as I say at work....focus on our own strategy, not the competition. If we focus on ourselves and our own execution we'll likely beat the competition anyway cause we focus on what we can do within our own capabilities, our control and strengths.....reactive behaviour to competitive actions usually is a failing strategy if you want to play offense.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the encouragement.

I found a 5/10k scheduled locally on March 21 to aim for. But how does one decide whether to go for the 5k or 10k?

I'm hoping to average 8 runs (there and back 4 days) per week which is at the top end of the range I've been doing for the last few months. With ice and snow (like this week) I'll sometimes do a slower 5th day ... rather than risk more serious injury by getting on the motorbike.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Can't help myself. Every time I look at that damn spreadsheet it insists on telling me I am 98 times behind. My OCD kicks in and I must run.

I'm in. I too, am 98 times behind, why is that? I might end UP 98 times behind but right now it should be just 2 or 3.....

George

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course, I wouldn't recommend blindly attempting to outrun others, particularly if one is going to run oneself into the ground. But if it is silly to set his sights on a finishing place, it also kinda silly to rank people in the first place.

It's creating a competition and then saying, "don't compete".
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally agree with you. There are too many variables to consider then just have rankings. Since we have the total points, freq. and dist. columngs, a ranking is a personall thing, not a simple absulute figure (all think considered).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pink font wasn't intended, but the statement should have ended with "top 25-30 finish at best" signifying (for me) the irrelevance of who's on top today, yesterday, or tomorrow. Selecting the top 25-30 is arbitrary (since I can't predict the performance of any single participant) and much more an admission that I have no desire to jockey for a top position. I'm fully capable and intending to run a lot this winter, but I make no assumptions about whom or how many folks will come in ahead of (or behind) me on day 100. To train or race like that is a recipe for disaster. When I leave T1 in a race, the last thought on my mind is that 1/3 of the field is already on the bike, though that's usually the case. Instead, I forge ahead, at my pace, and take down whatever percentage of that 1/3 rides+runs slower than me. It's never 100%, but as long as it's greater than 0% I can probably live with myself.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Say that again when it's the last day, you're in 6th place, and you know that a 23 mi run will put you in 3rd! Whatcha gonna do?!

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Of course, I wouldn't recommend blindly attempting to outrun others, particularly if one is going to run oneself into the ground. But if it is silly to set his sights on a finishing place, it also kinda silly to rank people in the first place.

It's creating a competition and then saying, "don't compete".

I think you both make valid points, but at the end of the day I wasn't remotely implying that I've sized up the competition and I will end the challenge in position X. That's not to say that in 5-6 weeks one couldn't make those predictions since the positional 'noise' will be attenuated by long-term averaging. Once that time comes, I think it's reasonable for everyone to look at their condition/performance and set realistic goals about either maintaining their relative ranking or trying to move ahead by some attainable order. Now is not that time - though I do fully enjoy any and all smack talk that comes of individual predictions :)

Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without reservation, I would finish out my scheduled run, and celebrate the fact that I had successfully completed the challenge in pretty good form. I will make a definitive prediction and guarantee that you will not see a 23 mile run on any day of my log - much less the last day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"...That's not to say that in 5-6 weeks one couldn't make those predictions since the positional 'noise' will be attenuated by long-term averaging. Once that time comes, I think it's reasonable for everyone to look at their condition/performance and set realistic goals about either maintaining their relative ranking or trying to move ahead by some attainable order. Now is not that time - though I do fully enjoy any and all smack talk that comes of individual predictions :)...."

Yeah, that makes sense. In 6 weeks, you will actually know where your average weekly rates fit in with who has showed up to the challenge and then you can certainly feed off the guys running in the same volume range without doing yourself in. That's when you can use the challenge standings for motivation safely. I know many people who were in that boat last year. They ended up identifying the 10 folks around them in the category they cared about and would feed off the other person which can certainly be a good thing That's kind of the point of any training camp, except in a real training camp you end up pushing or being pushed by athletes of similar abilities. The spreadsheet will tell you who is similar, but only after several weeks :-)

Please note, all these warning and suggestions come after watching some pretty destructive behavior over the past few years. I'd rather table some of these thoughts now. Consider it like the track coach standing in the middle of the infield shouting at athletes doing dumb things taking it out too hard, too soon, too often.

All the best.

Dev
Quote Reply

Prev Next