Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

1. How do you respond to allegations by non-triathletes that we are self-serving self-promoters with huge egos?
2. With an upper body like Michael Rasmussen's, do you find it hard to get proper fitting tri jerseys?

Thanks for any tips you can give.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [rage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks!

1. How do you respond to allegations by non-triathletes that we are self-serving self-promoters with huge egos?
2. With an upper body like Michael Rasmussen's, do you find it hard to get proper fitting tri jerseys?

Thanks for any tips you can give.

1. Admit to the truth, and then go hang out with some other triathletes. ;) That being said, I think as triathlon-focused as most triathletes are, it's really just a reflection of having a passion for the sport. People love triathlon. People don't seem to love step-aerobics, for example, in the same way. So anytime you find people that really have a passion for what they do - either as a hobby or otherwise - I think you end up with other folks being critical. For such a "self-serving" group, I was amazed at how much money, for example, the Janus Charity Challenge has raised in it's ~10 year (IIRC) life - over $40 MILLION dollars. As for the ego part, I think people ought to be proud of caring about being fit & healthy & doing something they are excited about and committed to.

2. Proper fitting tri-jerseys are not so bad. Fortunately, I am sponsored by a European-based clothing company - Kiwami - which helps. Proper fitting bike jerseys on the other hand...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yes, I do. It's an old, old, old Orca one. BUT, I have been testing a new Kiwami prototype one that should be released "soon."

That's exciting news. Is it jammer style or briefs (seams in the crotch seem like a bad idea)? Any idea on release date?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [moulli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Yes, I do. It's an old, old, old Orca one. BUT, I have been testing a new Kiwami prototype one that should be released "soon."

That's exciting news. Is it jammer style or briefs (seams in the crotch seem like a bad idea)? Any idea on release date?

Briefs. Next summerish is the goal.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last question:

What are you doing on ST the day after your wedding???

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Last question:

What are you doing on ST the day after your wedding???

Jill is on Facebook...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. The reason I ask is we often get accused of being ego-centric (whether it is by wives, co-workers, or just plailn non-triathletes) but I think the nature of the sport calls for it, to some degree, and people confuse narcicissm with devotion to the sport and what the body can handle. I also ask because I too have a thin upper body and most jerseys (tri or cycling) either dig into my armpits during the run or twist all over my torso on the ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also eat yogurt every day, but if I am traveling, I will often take probiotics instead of eating yogurt. So I would say I take in some form of active cultures every day.

Do you find this to be a good combination? I eat yogurt just about every day (other than when travelling). When travelling it is tough for me to keep my stomach feeling good and regular.

I've often thought about taking probiotics, but didn't know if it was a waste if it wasn't something I was going to be taking everyday. I wasn't sure if it was somethig that needed to be taken consistently or if it was something that could be taken on an "as needed" basis. However, I guess if I am eating yogurt the other days, the two things would work in combination with one another.

Is there a particular brand you like?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I also eat yogurt every day, but if I am traveling, I will often take probiotics instead of eating yogurt. So I would say I take in some form of active cultures every day.

Do you find this to be a good combination? I eat yogurt just about every day (other than when travelling). When travelling it is tough for me to keep my stomach feeling good and regular.

I've often thought about taking probiotics, but didn't know if it was a waste if it wasn't something I was going to be taking everyday. I wasn't sure if it was somethig that needed to be taken consistently or if it was something that could be taken on an "as needed" basis. However, I guess if I am eating yogurt the other days, the two things would work in combination with one another.

Is there a particular brand you like?

Anything with an enteric coating (helps protect it from stomach acid). Jill usually pick the particular brand of ones we buy, and it changes a lot based on where we are and what is available.

I would say probiotics & fish oil are the two of the best things you can do for your body.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't recall this being asked (apologies if it has)...

1. Were you drug tested?
2. Was anyone drug tested?

Nothing personal, just asking.

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't recall this being asked (apologies if it has)...

1. Were you drug tested?
2. Was anyone drug tested?

Nothing personal, just asking.

1. I was (first time ever).

2. I know TJ & Torsten (2nd & 3rd) were not. Richie Cunningham (4th) was. On the women's side, I know Sam McGlone was, but I forget who else. I think it was three women, but it might have been two and two. USADA oversaw the testing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And are probiotics something that can be effectively used on an as needed basis to supplement the days when you are not getting active cultures from yogurt? Or are they something that needs to be taken consistently in order to establish appropriate levels in the body?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think the swim was slightly long?

Congrats on the wedding too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried out the new Lunar Lites or version 2.0 of the Lunar Racers?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And are probiotics something that can be effectively used on an as needed basis to supplement the days when you are not getting active cultures from yogurt? Or are they something that needs to be taken consistently in order to establish appropriate levels in the body?

I think they can be taken "as needed," especially if you are a yogurt-eater or kefir-drinker (basically, you get active cultures somewhere else on a regular basis). But I also think it's individual. For example, if you are someone who has taken a lot of antibiotics for one reason or another, you should probably take probiotics consistently to establish a more normal level. In terms of evaluating normal, I'd use your own body as a guide, but if you are picky, there are many labs that will do stool sample analysis to evaluate the levels of your various intestinal flora. I've not done that, but I know people who have and have used that as a guide and it's made a big difference for them. I believe there are some pretty standard guidelines out there for replenishing intestinal flora. Jill has used a protocol developed by a man named Paul Chek that he calls the "4R Plan." Each phase of "R" is ~3-months:

1. Remove: This entails eliminating anything in their life that may create parasites, bacteria, fungus, etc. As well, any environmental derived toxic substances, including conventional foods, plastic, microwaves, hygiene and cleaning products. There is always organic!

2. Replace: This entails replenishing enzymes and other digestive factors which may be limiting healing. The key ingredients are pancreatic, digestive and liver enzymes.

3. Reinocculate: This entails reintroducing good microflora back into the gut. This means pre and probiotics. Prebiotics are synergistic flora and mucosal cell regeneration.

4. Repair: This entails providing nutritional support for regeneration and healing of the GI mucosa. You can also add in glutamine, fish oils, zinc and pantothenic acid. This will reduce inflammation and regenerate the mucosa of the gut.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Pebble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do you think the swim was slightly long?

Congrats on the wedding too!

That would make me happy. :)

It definitely felt long, but I'm not sure if it was "long." However, it was definitely longer than last November, when it was clearly less than 2.4miles.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [:D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Not yet, but I will. I didn't think the 2.0 Racers were out yet...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What type of bike saddle do you use again? I tried searching but couldn't find it. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [lhogben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What type of bike saddle do you use again? I tried searching but couldn't find it. Thanks!

Fizik Arione Tri2 Carbon Ti (carbon shell base with ti rails). I've used that exact saddle (i.e., not just that model) for three years.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Not yet, but I will. I didn't think the 2.0 Racers were out yet...

No I don't think they are but I thought you might be a tester or something. The mariahs are hard to come by and you had those. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you use the Cobb seat too? http://www.cobbcycling.com/cart/V-Flow_C1P1.cfm I was thinking about getting one of these.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ever try turkey bacon?
BTW, thanks for the great race reports and this thread. They are very helpful and the nutrition information has helped me tremendously.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [acefaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for answering all the questions. Super fun to read.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [lhogben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do you use the Cobb seat too? http://www.cobbcycling.com/cart/V-Flow_C1P1.cfm I was thinking about getting one of these.

I use a Fizik Arione Tri2 on my tri bike. I use a Cobb HC170 on my road bike. I ride both bikes regularly all year round, except at this time of year (the "offseason"), when I only ride my road bike.

I have had very good luck with fitting people on the V-Flow at the FIST workshops. It also come with a money back guarantee for 6-months, so you can try it. I have ridden it, but unlike on a road bike, where I now find I like a saddle with a cutout, I do not like a cutout (or haven't found a cutout saddle that I like yet) on my tribike. Saddles are very personal.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [acefaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
ever try turkey bacon?
BTW, thanks for the great race reports and this thread. They are very helpful and the nutrition information has helped me tremendously.

Turkey bacon is not bacon. There is no "turkey belly" from which to make real bacon. Turkey bacon is basically turkey meat and fat which is ground up and then molded into a slab and then sliced. Turkey bacon is not "real food," IMO. Jill made me eat it once. I would not eat it again.

Quote Reply

Prev Next