Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep! Quaker is manufactured with wheat, but that is why i think NOW and McCann's is ok- they aren't processed with wheat (or at least didn't used to be)

-----
Follow me on Twitter! megankillian
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
SPECIALIZED V.S FELT. WHICH IS BETTER AND DON'T YOU DARE SAY FELT! PRO'S AND CONS OF EACH PLEASE!!!

You are asking me to split hairs on bikes that can - and do - win at the highest level.

Best common feature:
both have internal cable guides, which are really nice. Push the housing in, and it pops out the other side. Makes building a bike much easier.

Specialized thoughts:
- The brakes are a pain in the butt to set-up, but once set-up they work very well. There is an aerodynamic benefit, but they do require more work than just slapping on a typical pair of dual-pivot calipers.
- The bike is very stiff. I think it could be lighter and a bit less stiff. You do pay a price for the stiffness in terms of decreased vertical compliance. So it's a tradeoff. I don't know that the bike needs to be as stiff as it is. But you pedal and the bike goes. That is for sure.
- Handles better than the Felt. I really like the extra front center and longer trail. I find it is very stable, but also very maneuverable. I find I more easily pedal through corners and avoid potholes, bumps, etc.
- I HATE single bolt posts. I don't like "tapping" to make angular adjustments to saddle pitch.
- I Love BB30. It's a superior system. It's clearly an upgrade. Not unique to this bike, but it's still a positive
- Tighten bolts and they stay in place. The bike does not rattle or creak. It is very solid.
- This is THE steepest bike you can buy. You can run a saddle 8+cm in front of the BB. There is no other bike that you can get as steep as this one. That's not a necessity for me, but I was amazed at how steep you can get the bike.

Felt thoughts:
- I don't like that the bike is designed around a Shimano drivetrain. Yes, other parts work, but there can be a bit of hassle, such as when I wanted to use Zipp cranks and I had to use the "scissor" brake, which I don't think works very well. When I set the bike up with Shimano, it was very simple. But once I got parts from SRAM, I had to work around some things. You can see this even with some of the changes made between 7800 -> 7900. For instance, you need to replace the barrel adjuster on the 7900 rear brake. I think it was foolish to design a bike to work optimally with parts made by someone else.
- I prefer the two-bolt seatpost of the Felt.
- If you wrench yourself, the Bayonet is more of a hassle than a traditional front end. I got so that it wasn't issue, but you have to take care. I'd equate the Bayonet with the Transitions brakes - more work than "normal," but worth the hassle.
- Even at proper torque, I found the seatpost would slip a couple mm, even using the stainless steel clamp.
- Ditto for the bayonet. Loctite and grease are necessities if you own a Felt.

Summary:
If you ride the two bikes back to back, the Specialized is stiffer than the Felt. That's not a plus or a minus in my book. They are both stiff enough. But that's the difference you'll feel immediately.

Area where I think the Specialized is definitely better than the Felt - handling (more front-center and trail). Area where I think the Felt is definitely better than the Specialized - seatclamp is better (two bolts).

Notes:
I only ever rode a 2008 Felt DA. I know a lot of improvements were made with the new Bayonet on the 2009+ DAs.

Do you have a feel yet for which bike is faster (as in Watts / mph)? I would think after enough rides on the same routes, you'd be able to establish quantitatively which is faster.

Unfortunately, I have yet to ride them on ANY of the same routes, except for the IMAZ course. My thinking is that if the frames were equivalently aerodynamic, the Specialized would be faster because the front brake will have lower drag by quite a bit vs. the RED front brake I had on the Felt. If I put the same brake on the frames (which is doable with some tinkering), I think that'd be a big factor.

According to the windtunnel data, the Transition is a bit faster, but I don't know what brake was on the Felt for those tests and if the delta between the frames is approximately what you expect from the brakes alone.

I think it's really the front end geometry - and maybe the stiffness, though I think stiffness is a bit overrated for people not named Fabian - that I think makes the Transition a nicer bike for me, given that I ride a relatively small frame given how tall I am. That's really the difference that I notice the most when I ride - the handling is better given my position on the bike.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [goldenboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Do you ever get tired of talking about yourself?

Without question the d-bag post of the week.

The irony is that when I read it, I didn't actually read it that way. I thought he meant it in a nice way, like "is it hard to have to answer a lot of questions?" Naivete, I guess.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Congratulations on a great race and a race plan very well executed!

What shoes did you wear for the marathon? And why?

Cheers

Nike Lunar Mariah. Roomier toebox than the LunarRacer, but still with the Lunar sole, which I think is great for running on very tired legs.

Can you give a more in-depth compare/contrast of the Lunaracer vs the Lunar Mariah? Cushioning, weight, durability, etc...

And, which ones did you wear (PR or TZ)? Or, are they the same?

Where did you actually find them for sale? (A quick Google doesn't turn up much.)

Thanks.

If I had it to do over again, I think I'd wear the Lunar Racer. I'm hoping the new Lunar Racer 2.0 might be a better solution. The sole is identical. But I definitely feel like I noticed the extra weight of the Mariahs. Of course, I think Arizona is a harder course than Canada, so who knows. I will do some more races - maybe just some running races - and workouts in the mariahs to see. The upper seems less durable, mostly because it's a more traditional upper. The Flywire upper really had nothing to break down, which is also part of why it was so hard on your feet. The Mariahs were DEFINITELY easier on my feet (way fewer blisters than ever before), but I don't know if the extra weight was worth it. I also think they won't last nearly as long, as the upper is already coming unglued in spots.

PR = Press Release (I think). TZ = Tier Zero (I know). They are the same. It's just a matter of where the shoe was sent. So PR is what you'd see in photos, because it's what the press gets. TZ is what the Tier Zero (top level) retailers get. At least, that's my understanding.

I bought them off eBay, though I know NikeTown in NYC has them.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think I'm suprised at how few calories that seems. I try to eat gluten free too (I've also never been diagnosed with an allergy or intolerance, but it does make a huge difference in how I feel), but I really struggle with staying above a certain weight or body fat percentage when in the peak of my training. Are there any calorie dense foods you eat if you feel like you are getting too thin?

Avocado. And dark chocolate. And cashews and almonds. Those are my calorie dense snacks.

I also like Lundberg rice chips as a snack, though those aren't calorie dense. Just tasty.

I also have some yogurt with walnuts most every night for desert. Did I leave that off? I might have. Hard to actually think of what you eat sometimes.

And I eat a LOT at dinner. Like it's not uncommon when Jill & I have tacos for me to have eight.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Lots of questions about power and pace for training.

In races and training do you where a HR belt as an additional number to see and weigh - or just pace/power + feel + demands of the day?

never use hr. perceived exertion to supplement power & bike in training.

Do you not use HR at all? Do you just use power and pacing(run). If so why not? Congrats again..

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Lots of questions about power and pace for training.

In races and training do you where a HR belt as an additional number to see and weigh - or just pace/power + feel + demands of the day?

never use hr. perceived exertion to supplement power & bike in training.

Do you not use HR at all? Do you just use power and pacing(run). If so why not? Congrats again..

No HR. I just don't think it's reliably repeatable.

I actually do use HR for one thing - I take my RHR in the morning. If it's way out of whack (inconsistent, jumps around a lot, 8+ beats too high, etc.), then I have a talk with my coach about the training and check to see if I've eaten something unusual the night before or something else that might cause that. When things are going well, it's within 1 beat (+/-) of a 41 (and usually right on that). Even sometimes when I'm dead tired, and I'm sure it should be higher, I take it, and it's right on. And usually those are the days where starting a workout stinks, but I feel fine once I get warmed-up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I like to think if I'd seen the guy I'd have said something to him. I think everyone who did see the guy who knew he was breaking a rule that could get him DQ'ed should feel bad if they did not tell him.

FWIW, I did see that guy not too far from the finish. At that point in the race, my brains was just hardly capable of figuring out how many miles left. I do remember telling myself that there was something different about him...I was not sure what. Maybe most of us (non pros) on the run were in this stage: uncapable of thinking further than immediate contingencies.

Kiwami North America
http://www.kiwamitri.com
http://www.aquamantri.com
contact@kiwamitri.com
http://www.facebook/kiwamitriusa
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should have known better than speak to soon

Checkout http://www.iotexpert.com
Last edited by: alanhawse: Nov 28, 09 7:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If I had it to do over again, I think I'd wear the Lunar Racer. I'm hoping the new Lunar Racer 2.0 might be a better solution. The sole is identical. But I definitely feel like I noticed the extra weight of the Mariahs. Of course, I think Arizona is a harder course than Canada, so who knows. I will do some more races - maybe just some running races - and workouts in the mariahs to see. The upper seems less durable, mostly because it's a more traditional upper. The Flywire upper really had nothing to break down, which is also part of why it was so hard on your feet. The Mariahs were DEFINITELY easier on my feet (way fewer blisters than ever before), but I don't know if the extra weight was worth it. I also think they won't last nearly as long, as the upper is already coming unglued in spots.

PR = Press Release (I think). TZ = Tier Zero (I know). They are the same. It's just a matter of where the shoe was sent. So PR is what you'd see in photos, because it's what the press gets. TZ is what the Tier Zero (top level) retailers get. At least, that's my understanding.

I bought them off eBay, though I know NikeTown in NYC has them.

Thanks for the info.

I'm also anxiously awaiting the new Lunaracers. My only complaint about the originals is that the sole isn't real durable where I tend to wear. But, from the looks of the new version, they added carbon rubber to the "lugs" in question. So, that should be an improvement.

It sounds like the Mariah are a little heavier, a little less durable upper, but a little more comfortable/forgiving upper. Since I don't have issues with the Lunaracer upper, I guess there's really no reason to even pursue the Mariah. That's good, since they don't seem particularly easy to find.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, thanks for taking the time to reply.

It's not about the bike, it's just along for the ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the great info thus far.

How often do you swim in open water? And what kind of workout do you do out there? Just long steady swims, stop-go intervals, pace changing, etc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read in another thread that you don't change your daily nutrition in the days leading up to a big race. I wonder if your normal diet has much fiber in it? And if so, do you have any problems with that on race day?

Nice job. You have now won the last two IMs I've been in. You should put me on retainer. :)

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [flying wombat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
To how many places have you memorized Pi? Did you feel if you had rode a minute slower you would have had time to solve the Riemann Hypothesis, or determined the question to the answer 42? ;-)

Kevin

Are you a mathematician? I'm impressed that you've even HEARD of the Riemann Hypothesis.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [BSUdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks for all the great info thus far.

How often do you swim in open water? And what kind of workout do you do out there? Just long steady swims, stop-go intervals, pace changing, etc?

In the summer, when I'm in Penticton, at least once and often twice per week. But I hadn't done an open water swim since mid-September.

I do a mix - long steady, stop-go, pace change, and easy. The nice thing in Penticton is that the lake is marked about every 75m with a big buoy that makes it easy to do workouts with a lot of variety. The lake is about 1000m wide, which is great for long stuff. And then there are the 75s for short stuff. I find it much harder to do workouts that structured in the ocean, which is why I don't swim much open water in California.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I read in another thread that you don't change your daily nutrition in the days leading up to a big race. I wonder if your normal diet has much fiber in it? And if so, do you have any problems with that on race day?

Nice job. You have now won the last two IMs I've been in. You should put me on retainer. :)

The Vega shake I have in the morning has a lot of fiber, so I don't drink one of those in the AM before a race. But I do have it on Saturday morning. But after Saturday AM, I do try to avoid having a lot of fiber at lunch and dinner the day before.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
To how many places have you memorized Pi? Did you feel if you had rode a minute slower you would have had time to solve the Riemann Hypothesis, or determined the question to the answer 42? ;-)

Kevin

Are you a mathematician? I'm impressed that you've even HEARD of the Riemann Hypothesis.

No, engineer. I can't recall where I've heard of it. I would guess that it was when I watched the PBS special on Fermat's Last Theorem, since that was solved by a Princeton professor. And since the Riemann hypothesis is part of the group of unproven hypotheses//theorems that Fermat's used to be a part of, I would think that is the most likely place. But it easily could have been in any one of my other nerd-ventures. There were many.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on the win. Awhile back I made a prediction on your finish time- post #119 here: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
I based the prediction on your IMC time after some fudging for differences in average finish times of top athletes on the two courses. I thought you could go 8:12 and was only off by 95 seconds (0.3%). In my defense, I thought you would be running in compression socks...
My question is one that was asked previously (by meganruns)- do you notice a difference in recovery when you relax your diet after an IM? Specifically, are there foods you still try to avoid?
Congratulations again and enjoy the wedding/honeymoon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome race, Jordan. For a bit there, I thought the motorcycle following you on the run was gonna take you or himself out with all those narrow paths to wind around.

I was just wondering what you put your Salt Stick tablets in for both the bike and the run, particularly the run. Grampa's old coin purse, your favorite Tic Tac case? Did it work/did it keep 'em dry?

Thanks!

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a position question:

Your old position profiled on the front page of slowtwitch a few years ago had you at 0 set back and your profile shows -3 with a higher bar position. The seat height I get given the switch to 172.5's but why back and up? More power or puts you in a better position when you slide forward?

Thanks

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm late to the party. Congrats!

What supplements do you take besides the multi vitamin and shakes (and salt tabs)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how often sick this yr and what types...
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you move to shorter cranks you need to move you seat up and back to maintain the same pedal position (at the bottom of your stroke and in the 3 position).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mazel Tov on yet another victory. A few questions for you:

1. Realizing your training changes throughout the year depending what you have done before and what period you are in, about how many miles and hours do you bike a week?

2. What does your taper look like? How many weeks do you taper? What percentage drop off do you for each sport 3 weeks out, 2 weeks out, 1 week out, etc. More intensity during taper or same intensity (race pace, faster, slower)?

3. You are looking very clean in your race photos. Shave or wax?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan,

Congrat's and thanks for taking the time to offer such detailed answers.

1. Did you wear the garmin the whole race? Have you had any waterproof issues or signal issues in training or race? I love my polar but am looking for a watch that has an idiot proof pace window for racing.

2. Thanks for the bacon research. I'll quit dissing it.

Albert
Quote Reply

Prev Next