Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [t2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Your swim just keeps on improving year after year which is frankly amazing to me. Is this a function of continuing to refine technique, mixing up your approach to the workouts or just plain harder work in the pool?

To you see yourself reaching a plateau or do you feel there are still further gains to be made?

Hard work in the pool, which does include refining technique and mixing up workouts. They are not mutually exclusive. I think I can swim 48 (wetsuit) or 50 (non-wetsuit). I don't see a need to get any faster than that, so I don't plan on plateauing until I get there. I certainly won't *accept* any plateau unless it's at those speeds.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What is your favorite flavor of Gatorade? :) Z

It's "Citrus" (I think it might technically be "Citrus Cooler") which they only make in "regular" Gatorade. It's sort of tangerine-esque. Or basically 50/50 lemon-lime and orange.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [yndecam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Were you super excited to get on the new ride (in T1 when they handed you your bike)? It looked like you were going to hop on right there before realizing you needed to run it to the mount line. Do you spend much time working on transition strategy or is it pretty routine now?

I'd say it was routine, but I do make some mistakes. T2 was a bit of a SNAFU on my part. And in T1, I was definitely going to mount before the line, and I also forgot to put rubber bands on my shoes. So I guess I need to go back and practice!

I am always ready for the next event. By the time the swim ends, I just want to stop swimming. By the time the bike is ending, I just want to get off my bike. And by the time the run ends, I just want to stop moving entirely.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is your longest bike/run brick? How many Meters a week do you swim and what is a typical really hard swim day? come on share, I dont think coach would mind! :) thanks for the tips and congrats!
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What is your longest bike/run brick? How many Meters a week do you swim and what is a typical really hard swim day? come on share, I dont think coach would mind! :) thanks for the tips and congrats!

- 5 hours total = 4.5 hours on the bike with 30min run off the bike.

- 20km/week. Common hard set: 2 x (5x200) on 3:10 (round 1), 3:00 (round 2) at steady (round 1), fast (round 2) pace

The thing is, I find that information relatively meaningless, because it doesn't say anything about effort, where it fits in the training cycle, what workouts preceded and followed it, etc. That's why I don't like really giving out workout info. You either have to be WAY more specific than I will be or it doesn't really say anything useful.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is cool as shit that you do this. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [jacobbunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you decided on any mid season ironmans? will you be competing in all of the rev3 races? Do you do any road races or time trials throughout the season?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Have you decided on any mid season ironmans? will you be competing in all of the rev3 races? Do you do any road races or time trials throughout the season?

No mid-season Ironman's planned.

I am planning to do all of the Rev3 races.

No, but I'd like to start doing some TTs. Road races are too risky.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats again on your victory. You are having an amazing year.

If you go to Kona, do you think you can be "in the mix"?

The reason I ask is that I always thought it strange that when wagering on who would win Kona this year the responses were very very narrow. the majority of people seemed to slant towards Alexander or Macca or Lieto or a few others. In my mind fast is fast and 8:15 on any IM course puts you in contention.

Thanks for posting this thread, your responses are much appreciated.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jordan,

Congrats on a great back to back win ! Canada and Arizona :) What's next ?

Just found this thread after responding to another thread about your race day nutrition.

What is your dit and rest pattern like in the 2-3 days prior to the race please ?

I presume you have had a "sweat-test" to work out your sodium losses and optimum replacement. I am quite interested in the volume of sodium you replace per hour in IM events. How did you come to this conclusion and what advantages / disadvantages have you found going over and under this amount ?

Additionally , if you don't mind , your houghts on EFS products.

If you wish to get back into Canada , I reckon your gonna have to memorise the order of the Stanley Cup champions for the past 50 years ad the roster of the Habs vs Red Army 72 series, OR get that bacon quota up :)

Thanks in advance and congrats on a fantastic feat in achieving a course record , win and 2 IM wins in a row !

Terry

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Last edited by: canuck8: Nov 26, 09 19:30
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! It was awesome to watch you race on line.

1. Do you use special needs bags on the run and bike and if so what is in them? If it is nutrition, what nutrition is it?
2. On the run pacing, do you aim to run the same pace the entire run? Or do you aim to go out slower a bit at the beginning? or what?
3. How does your long run training pace compare to your Ironman run pace?
4. Why the one piece tri suit for Iron distance when it seems most? pro's go with 2 piece?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Congrats again on your victory. You are having an amazing year.

If you go to Kona, do you think you can be "in the mix"?

The reason I ask is that I always thought it strange that when wagering on who would win Kona this year the responses were very very narrow. the majority of people seemed to slant towards Alexander or Macca or Lieto or a few others. In my mind fast is fast and 8:15 on any IM course puts you in contention.

Thanks for posting this thread, your responses are much appreciated.

The way that I generally race - more patient - I imagine that I'd not really "be in the mix" during the race. If I start to swim faster, then maybe. But otherwise, I still think I could have a good race, but I think it'd be more like Canada - folks riding away from me early on and then (hopefully) coming back later in the ride. Same with the run.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey Jorsna,

Congrats on a great back to back win ! Canada and Arizona :) What's next ?

Just found this thread after responding to another thread about your race day nutrition.

What is your dit and rest pattern like in the 2-3 days prior to the race please ?

I presume you have had a "sweat-test" to work out your sodium losses and optimum replacement. I am quite interested in the volume of sodium you replace per hour in IM events. How did you come to this conclusion and what advantages / disadvantages have you found going over and under this amount ?

Additionally , if you don't mind , your houghts on EFS products.

If you wish to get back into Canada , I reckon your gonna have to memorise the order of the Stanley Cup champions for the past 50 years ad the roster of the Habs vs Red Army 72 series, OR get that bacon quota up :)

Thanks in advance and congrats on a fantastic feat in achieving a course record , win and 2 IM wins in a row !

Terry

- Diet is the same as normal, though with some modifications from being on the road and not being able to make as much food, though I always get a suite with a kitchen in Tempe so I can still cook stuff. Make sure no gluten, "real" food, etc.

- Rest pattern - Thursday is an easy training day with swim, bike, run. Friday is off. Saturday is short swim, bike, run in short order with some short fast stuff. LOTS of sleep. Take naps. Etc.

- I haven't gone for lab testing. I figured it out myself through trial and error. The lab tests have been very positive for some athletes, but I know lots of other athletes for whom they have not worked. I don't necessarily believe that you ONLY need as much electrolytes as the lab says you sweat out. And even so, I'm not 100% sure that uses swatches placed around the body are really the best method. I.e., I think the lab testing is very good, but I don't think it's 100% reliable for all athletes.

- I really like the EFS line. For me personally, I wish the flavor was stronger. And I could use even more electrolytes - even in training I basically double the electrolytes in the drink. But the bars are awesome - gluten free AND taste good. The gels are very easy to take, even without water; I do my long runs with them and can take the gel even if I don't stop for water. And the drink mixes easily and tastes good in warm weather, but is maybe a bit too mild in cold weather, though still fine. Just in cold weather, really strong flavor is better, so I usually make mine 50% stronger since I drink less (sweat less) in cold weather anyway.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [highflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Congratulations! It was awesome to watch you race on line.

1. Do you use special needs bags on the run and bike and if so what is in them? If it is nutrition, what nutrition is it?
2. On the run pacing, do you aim to run the same pace the entire run? Or do you aim to go out slower a bit at the beginning? or what?
3. How does your long run training pace compare to your Ironman run pace?
4. Why the one piece tri suit for Iron distance when it seems most? pro's go with 2 piece?

Thanks!

1. No. I have another EFS gel flask and another bottle with my EFS mixture. Nothing really "special." I look at it as special meaning "if something gets dropped that I didn't plan to drop" bag.

2. I know I will run faster the first half. It's almost inevitable. But I try to run close to the same pace. I did a relatively good job in Canada. In Arizona, I faded more than I wanted to or thought I would.

3. Faster, but not much faster

4. I don't like having the elastic band under my rib cage or across my waist. It irritates me. If Kiwami could make a two piece out of the Amphibian material, I might race in that. The Amphibian material dries so fast and is so light, that I really think it's an advantage. The suit I have just fits me perfectly and is really, really comfortable. It'd take something special for me to change.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
- Diet is the same as normal, though with some modifications from being on the road and not being able to make as much food, though I always get a suite with a kitchen in Tempe so I can still cook stuff. Make sure no gluten, "real" food, etc.

Jordan,
Congratulations on the impressive win.

The fact that you, as a pro, are willing to discuss your life/training/etc. with everybody is really cool.
You don't see other professional athletes, either in triathlons or other sports, making the time, like you do, to be so close to their fans.
I think its great.

I noticed that you adhere to a gluten free diet.
Is it due to your body being intolerant of gluten or is it a choice to stick to a gluten-free diet for personal/professional reasons?
If it is by choice, what benefits do you see from being gluten free?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [slmcknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Jordan,
Congratulations on the impressive win.

The fact that you, as a pro, are willing to discuss your life/training/etc. with everybody is really cool.
You don't see other professional athletes, either in triathlons or other sports, making the time, like you do, to be so close to their fans.
I think its great.

I noticed that you adhere to a gluten free diet.
Is it due to your body being intolerant of gluten or is it a choice to stick to a gluten-free diet for personal/professional reasons?
If it is by choice, what benefits do you see from being gluten free?

I am not celiac, but I do think my body is intolerant of gluten. It seems to be magnified - as most things are - during hard training. I feel better, I've gotten leaner, I don't have to #2 every time I run more than 30min, and "I" smell better (or not as bad). I also seem to have better connection through my core.

Simply put, I just feel better.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done Jordan, 2 for 2!

One word on pressure. Until Canada included, you were a potential winner. At Az, you were the outright favorite. That race was one of your A race for 2009...and a week later, you are getting married. You know if you do not deliver, you are going to cause some disappointment...and nowhere to hide.
You probably felt in a position you've never been before. (triathlon wise).
Question: how did you handle the pressure? Where you able to sleep well? Did you double doubt yourself?

Thanks!

Kiwami North America
http://www.kiwamitri.com
http://www.aquamantri.com
contact@kiwamitri.com
http://www.facebook/kiwamitriusa
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Andre Bennatan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well done Jordan, 2 for 2!

One word on pressure. Until Canada included, you were a potential winner. At Az, you were the outright favorite. That race was one of your A race for 2009...and a week later, you are getting married. You know if you do not deliver, you are going to cause some disappointment...and nowhere to hide.
You probably felt in a position you've never been before. (triathlon wise).
Question: how did you handle the pressure? Where you able to sleep well? Did you double doubt yourself?

Thanks!

It ws nice to be able to focus a week ahead at times. The last three weeks flew by. All of sudden, the race was here. I'm not sure it's ideal to have as much going on as I did in the time before the race, but it also kept me from being overwhelmed. Jill was very good in pointing out that I set out this year to win *an* Ironman, and I had already done that. I'd achieved what I'd said at the beginning of the year that I wanted to achieve at Canada. So no matter what, the year would be a great year. And I tried to keep that at the front of my mind. I also knew that I could win, which also gave me a lot of confidence. There's a difference between thinking you can win and knowing that you have done it before. So with all that, I got a great night of sleep before the race. Regardless of what happened, I knew in a week I'd be very happy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to pee on the course at all?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Pacing...if each leg were a stand alone time trial...how fast could you swim 2.4, bike the same course, or run...given your fitness and the conditions of the day?

2. What was your tire strategy...fastest possible or some thought to thorn resistance/durability?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [injuryinclined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You have to pee on the course at all?

About two miles into the run. I grab and sponge and just pee. One of the few times I wish for a two-piece suit...

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
1. Pacing...if each leg were a stand alone time trial...how fast could you swim 2.4, bike the same course, or run...given your fitness and the conditions of the day?

2. What was your tire strategy...fastest possible or some thought to thorn resistance/durability?

1. No idea really. Maybe 10% faster? But that's pretty much pulled out of my ass...

2. They sweep the roads before. But I don't use paper thin tires either. The Zipp tires are a good all around tire. I mean, it's not Paris-Roubaix out there. I think a good "all around" race tire is going to be fine on most courses. Zipp, Vittoria, Specialized, Bontrager, Michelin, etc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

a few question for you mister Rapp

1. How bad/good was it to ride the 1080 on sunday? any scary part with it? why not use it at imc? only 100gram more....

2. Paulo told me that finally, all the work you have done in training camp of september 06 in Las cruces is paying off...you care to comment?

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have some dumb questions:

1. Why did you rack your bike by the brake levers? (it looked like a fair amount of the pros did this; I thought USAT rule was by the seat only??)

2. What kind of warm-up did you do for the swim (both before getting in the water and while in the water)?

3. Do the motorbike fumes ever bother you on the run, as they are only a few feet in front of you?

4. Do you feel that you run better after a flatter (AZ) bike course vs. a hilly (Can)? Though your run times are essentially the same, if AZ leads to a faster/easier run, did you back off when you knew you had a solid lead?

5. What was your cadence on the bike?

Congrats on the win!
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

a few question for you mister Rapp

1. How bad/good was it to ride the 1080 on sunday? any scary part with it? why not use it at imc? only 100gram more....

2. Paulo told me that finally, all the work you have done in training camp of september 06 in Las cruces is paying off...you care to comment?

1. It was much windier at Canada. And much more of a crosswind than is typical in AZ. I rode it a couple of times in practice, and it was very difficult to control.

2. Yes, I've just been tapering since then...

Quote Reply

Prev Next