Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Pedalsaurus_Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do you ever get tired of talking about yourself?

Yes. I don't really like talking about myself. But I like answering questions if they help other people. If I could do that without mentioning myself, I'd be very happy with that.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Did you take your Kona slot and will we see you in Kona in 2010?

I did take my slot. I can't answer the second question yet. I honestly don't know. I took the slot so I could decide, but I don't know yet.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
can you give me an idea about how you structure your weekly cycling? also, when you do your longer rides, do you do longer easyish rides or do you focus on watts and make the long rides harder?

might sound lie a dumb question, but I am curious to this knowing you use power and after reading about eneki llanos riding easy.

Most every workout has a wattage target. Some are more strict than others. And some are targets for the whole workout, and some are for intervals. I don't ever ride like Eneko *apparently* rides - i.e. "very easy."

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [mike@tri-mesa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hi Jordan. Congrats on a great race.

Can you tell me a little about how you went about improving your run? What was your main focus? What types of run specific workouts do you do? How long, how many times/wk, longest run? When you do a brick, how long do you typically run and do you run at race pace or other? Do you ever do any run-emphasized bricks?

Thanks.

Run often. I do every run category out there - fartlek, base, tempo, build, etc. As per IM Canada thread, I will not share my training schedule. That's my coach's property, not mine. Generally, my suggestion is the same as for cycling. Use pace instead of wattage. Be focused in your workouts. If it's a hard workout, run hard. If it's easy, run easy. Have a schedule and stick to it. That is the key more than any specific type of workout. I'd also advocate a lot of race pace running. You need to be honest about your race pace, both in training and in racing. It also depends on your weaknesses. As the saying goes - train your weaknesses, race your strengths.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [rounderk5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Congrats Rappstar! I became a huge fan after IMC...

Question:How did you get enough BACON on the ride?

Seriously though: With your recent transition to the new bike, how much time had you been riding it before IMAZ?

I think I rode it 6 or 8 times. But from the first ride, the only change I made was that my saddle was a bit too high, so it wasn't a big deal not to have a lot of time on it. It's the same position as I've ridden for several years, so the bike just needs to accommodate that position.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [jaakko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jordan,

Congrats on the win(s) and a great season!

I read somewhere that you do quite a bit of training on a road bike. Do you use the same shoe/cleat(position) setup for riding road and TT?

thanks and have great wedding!

--

Yes, same shoes, so the cleat position is the same. Generally, the trend among all non-sprinters is to move the cleats back on the shoes. I run mine all the way back on my shoes, which is about 10cm from the front of the shoe.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Joe C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A follow-on question to Jaako's: Is there a pattern to when you ride a road bike vs TT? Certain kind of workouts, proximity to races, etc? And what are the benefits of going with the road bike so much versus the specificity of the TT bike? Maybe you've covered this in other threads and I missed it.

Congrats on a great race and great season!

Type of workout. Basically, I consider how much time I will want to spend in the aerobars. Simply put, riding at anything less than IM race pace, IMO, is awful on a TT bike. So unless there is a key part of the ride that to be done at IM pace or faster, then I will ride the road bike.

For example:
2 hour ride at "base" effort - road bike
2 hour ride with a 20min TT - tt/tri bike

The benefit is comfort. I don't think there is a need to ride a tribike if you aren't in the aerobars. IMO, every moment you are not in the aerobars, you'd be better off on a road bike.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you target a specific wattage for the race, a range or go off feel?

Did you have plans to fall back or move up to other wattages based on how you felt?

I think I saw you post this on another forum, but you base your wattage off of other training rides. Can you elaborate on that without giving away your coaches IP?

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [roadhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
SPECIALIZED V.S FELT. WHICH IS BETTER AND DON'T YOU DARE SAY FELT! PRO'S AND CONS OF EACH PLEASE!!!

You are asking me to split hairs on bikes that can - and do - win at the highest level.

Best common feature:
both have internal cable guides, which are really nice. Push the housing in, and it pops out the other side. Makes building a bike much easier.

Specialized thoughts:
- The brakes are a pain in the butt to set-up, but once set-up they work very well. There is an aerodynamic benefit, but they do require more work than just slapping on a typical pair of dual-pivot calipers.
- The bike is very stiff. I think it could be lighter and a bit less stiff. You do pay a price for the stiffness in terms of decreased vertical compliance. So it's a tradeoff. I don't know that the bike needs to be as stiff as it is. But you pedal and the bike goes. That is for sure.
- Handles better than the Felt. I really like the extra front center and longer trail. I find it is very stable, but also very maneuverable. I find I more easily pedal through corners and avoid potholes, bumps, etc.
- I HATE single bolt posts. I don't like "tapping" to make angular adjustments to saddle pitch.
- I Love BB30. It's a superior system. It's clearly an upgrade. Not unique to this bike, but it's still a positive
- Tighten bolts and they stay in place. The bike does not rattle or creak. It is very solid.
- This is THE steepest bike you can buy. You can run a saddle 8+cm in front of the BB. There is no other bike that you can get as steep as this one. That's not a necessity for me, but I was amazed at how steep you can get the bike.

Felt thoughts:
- I don't like that the bike is designed around a Shimano drivetrain. Yes, other parts work, but there can be a bit of hassle, such as when I wanted to use Zipp cranks and I had to use the "scissor" brake, which I don't think works very well. When I set the bike up with Shimano, it was very simple. But once I got parts from SRAM, I had to work around some things. You can see this even with some of the changes made between 7800 -> 7900. For instance, you need to replace the barrel adjuster on the 7900 rear brake. I think it was foolish to design a bike to work optimally with parts made by someone else.
- I prefer the two-bolt seatpost of the Felt.
- If you wrench yourself, the Bayonet is more of a hassle than a traditional front end. I got so that it wasn't issue, but you have to take care. I'd equate the Bayonet with the Transitions brakes - more work than "normal," but worth the hassle.
- Even at proper torque, I found the seatpost would slip a couple mm, even using the stainless steel clamp.
- Ditto for the bayonet. Loctite and grease are necessities if you own a Felt.

Summary:
If you ride the two bikes back to back, the Specialized is stiffer than the Felt. That's not a plus or a minus in my book. They are both stiff enough. But that's the difference you'll feel immediately.

Area where I think the Specialized is definitely better than the Felt - handling (more front-center and trail). Area where I think the Felt is definitely better than the Specialized - seatclamp is better (two bolts).

Notes:
I only ever rode a 2008 Felt DA. I know a lot of improvements were made with the new Bayonet on the 2009+ DAs.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [jpflores] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
how good were those Double Doubles after the race??

serious question: How did you come up with your electrolyte replacement strategy? Trial and error or have you had testing done to calculate your sweat rate and electrolyte loss during training and races?

Trail-and-error and learning to listen to my body. I used to cramp really badly during races - in ALL kinds of weather. I just kept taking more salt until I stopped.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [t2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Have you considered putting Roth or Frankfurt on your schedule next season? Would love to see how fast you could ride on those silky smooth roads of Deutschland.

Also, are you planning to return to tempe next year or would that depend on whether you decide to race in kona? Would you consider returning even if you do kona? If you do, what are the chances of you sporting a big ole mo on race day?

I heard a rumor PNF is racing az next year...Did you hear any confirmation of this in while Tempe?

- Not currently planning on racing in Europe. One of my big concerns is that I'm very strict about what I eat before the race, and I don't know, for example, how it'd be to try and eat gluten free in Germany. But I am sure I can sort that out, and I do hope to do the races someday. Just not 2010.

- Re: IMAZ, dependent on the rest of the season. Yes, I'd consider it even if I went to Kona, which is not currently a definite. I'd race with a 'stache. Maybe next year I'll raise money for prostate cancer and have the 'stache be a part of that.

- Re: PNF, I heard nothing of that. But I'm not so much in the loop on things, so don't take that for too much.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Did you make it to the Ethiopian restaurant race night?

You bet. Myself, my father, Richie Cunningham and his girlfriend Melissa, Robert Kunz and Mike Fogarty from First Endurance all went.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Where there any injuries or illnesses you have to overcome between IMC and IMAZ?

How many times has Craig Alexander called telling you, 'Too bad you have to skip Konar to defend your IMAZ title.' (not sure but I swear all aussie prounounce it Ko-nar)

Thankfully, there were not. But I also think I take pretty good care of myself.

Maybe I should call Craig first and tell him he's already defended Kona but has never done IMAZ so maybe he needs to take a break from Hawaii... ;)

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
SPECIALIZED V.S FELT. WHICH IS BETTER AND DON'T YOU DARE SAY FELT! PRO'S AND CONS OF EACH PLEASE!!!

You are asking me to split hairs on bikes that can - and do - win at the highest level.

Best common feature:
both have internal cable guides, which are really nice. Push the housing in, and it pops out the other side. Makes building a bike much easier.

Specialized thoughts:
- The brakes are a pain in the butt to set-up, but once set-up they work very well. There is an aerodynamic benefit, but they do require more work than just slapping on a typical pair of dual-pivot calipers.
- The bike is very stiff. I think it could be lighter and a bit less stiff. You do pay a price for the stiffness in terms of decreased vertical compliance. So it's a tradeoff. I don't know that the bike needs to be as stiff as it is. But you pedal and the bike goes. That is for sure.
- Handles better than the Felt. I really like the extra front center and longer trail. I find it is very stable, but also very maneuverable. I find I more easily pedal through corners and avoid potholes, bumps, etc.
- I HATE single bolt posts. I don't like "tapping" to make angular adjustments to saddle pitch.
- I Love BB30. It's a superior system. It's clearly an upgrade. Not unique to this bike, but it's still a positive
- Tighten bolts and they stay in place. The bike does not rattle or creak. It is very solid.
- This is THE steepest bike you can buy. You can run a saddle 8+cm in front of the BB. There is no other bike that you can get as steep as this one. That's not a necessity for me, but I was amazed at how steep you can get the bike.

Felt thoughts:
- I don't like that the bike is designed around a Shimano drivetrain. Yes, other parts work, but there can be a bit of hassle, such as when I wanted to use Zipp cranks and I had to use the "scissor" brake, which I don't think works very well. When I set the bike up with Shimano, it was very simple. But once I got parts from SRAM, I had to work around some things. You can see this even with some of the changes made between 7800 -> 7900. For instance, you need to replace the barrel adjuster on the 7900 rear brake. I think it was foolish to design a bike to work optimally with parts made by someone else.
- I prefer the two-bolt seatpost of the Felt.
- If you wrench yourself, the Bayonet is more of a hassle than a traditional front end. I got so that it wasn't issue, but you have to take care. I'd equate the Bayonet with the Transitions brakes - more work than "normal," but worth the hassle.
- Even at proper torque, I found the seatpost would slip a couple mm, even using the stainless steel clamp.
- Ditto for the bayonet. Loctite and grease are necessities if you own a Felt.

Summary:
If you ride the two bikes back to back, the Specialized is stiffer than the Felt. That's not a plus or a minus in my book. They are both stiff enough. But that's the difference you'll feel immediately.

Area where I think the Specialized is definitely better than the Felt - handling (more front-center and trail). Area where I think the Felt is definitely better than the Specialized - seatclamp is better (two bolts).

Notes:
I only ever rode a 2008 Felt DA. I know a lot of improvements were made with the new Bayonet on the 2009+ DAs.

that's a very intelligent answer and i thank you for it but in one word it could be summed up as SPECIALIZED. that's what i ride..

thanks for clarifying.

It's not about the bike, it's just along for the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [:D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How did you attach the salt sticks to your aerobars?
What bottle cage did you use on your aerobars and would you go without a cage?
What liquids do you have in the aero bottle?
How do you keep the gels from falling off your aerobars...they don't look like they are attached to anything.
How do you carry your salt stick tablets on the run?
Would you simply halve your nutrition for a 70.3?
Did you race TJ at all or just maintain a power number?
Do you have an agent?
Are you happy with the Transition and are you thinking to move to the Shiv?
Why did you use the ghetto plastic bags to hold your gear on the bike rather than using a nylong bag (because I'm sure you'd have gotten the bag for free anyway.)
What did you eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner the day prior to the race?

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And thanks for answering questions!

- zip ties
- Trek batcage custom modified. No.
- ~100cals of EFS, ~100cals of ClifShot Apple (for the caffeine), 3xSaltStick caps
- they are taped on with electrical tape so when I pull them off they are ready to eat
- in fuelbelt "vials" (though empty Airborne containers, for example, work well too)
- no, bike calories are similar, but run is a lot less
- basically just focused on power
- no agent
- I like the Transition, and would happily race it next year. But I am very excited to try the Shiv.
- They are waterproof, durable, and clear, so that I am sure I know what I've put in
- breakfast - Laughing Giraffe granola with goat milk kefir
lunch - 2 strips bacon + 3 eggs + 2 pieces rice toast
dinner - tamales, butternut squash, kale, and tuna+avocado sushi at Whole Foods with sparkling mineral water

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [roadhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
btw, stiffness which ='s response + handling got you that bike course record.

again, SPECIALIZED. at least they now have you which is perfect for them.

It's not about the bike, it's just along for the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [SLOW&STEADY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Congratulations on a great race and a race plan very well executed!

What shoes did you wear for the marathon? And why?

Cheers

Nike Lunar Mariah. Roomier toebox than the LunarRacer, but still with the Lunar sole, which I think is great for running on very tired legs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you ever hit it?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As an EFS Grape lover I am wondering what you can say about the "prototype" stuff you were using at IMAZ was and if it'll be coming to market for 2010.

And, you know, big ups, crazy props, and a big HELL YEAH to you.

Bob

It's coming to market soon. The differences are some improvements to some ingredients - new amino acids from Ajinimoto - and one new ingredient - Malic Acid. There are also now NO artificial sweeteners in any flavor, which I think is a huge change in terms of philosophy, but that's not a change for the grape.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [DRAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Couple of questions: heard from a few that they would use more cushioning in thier running shoes because of the concrete on the run, did you use racing flats with insoles? Compared to IMC did you focus staying in the aero position for extended periods in training?

Same training. I stayed in the aero position for most of IMC as well.

I use the Lunar shoes, which have a lot of cushioning. I think cushioning is always nice for IM. I don't think there is anything you can do to really soften that much concrete. My feet and legs were pounded, much moreso than in Canada.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the race Jordan, I was cheering for you on the second out and back, for your last two laps but you were definately "in the zone"!
I dont know if you can share this, but do you frequently take a day off, or very easy day during a training week, or do you train 7 days per week?

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [npearson99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Did you target a specific wattage for the race, a range or go off feel?

Did you have plans to fall back or move up to other wattages based on how you felt?

I think I saw you post this on another forum, but you base your wattage off of other training rides. Can you elaborate on that without giving away your coaches IP?

Lap one - wattage
Lap two & three - feel, since your priority is not crashing into people. You need to have your head up, so no looking at the computer. And you often have to slow down when you don't want to and speed up when you don't want to.

Having raced this course twice, I knew that was the only way to race it. You just can't race it any other way.

EVERYONE rides about 75% +/- (depending on speed) of FTP. You just need to know what your FTP is and you can pace an IM intelligently.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [deeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do you ever hit it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not exactly the response expected, but well played.
I had to throw something in there after all the watt this, run that, eat this, suck that- jesus.
Congratulations
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [flying wombat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Congrats on the race Jordan, I was cheering for you on the second out and back, for your last two laps but you were definately "in the zone"!
I dont know if you can share this, but do you frequently take a day off, or very easy day during a training week, or do you train 7 days per week?

Kevin

Yes, regularly. BUT, it's important to remember that I can precede or follow-up a very easy day with a very hard day. An age-group athlete can't necessarily choose to do 6 hours of training one day and then zero the next. I think there are definite differences about how you ought to structure training when it is someone's job versus structuring training AROUND someone's job.

Quote Reply

Prev Next