Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rappstar's IM Arizona Nutrition Report (8:13:35)
Quote | Reply
ST mainstay & PBN Team Member (Jordan Rapp), just capped an absolutely fantastic 2009 season with an o’all win & new course record at Ironman Arizona. After locking in his nutritional strategy at his 1st o'all win at Ironman Canada, we took a look at his nutrition from AZ & outlined his total & hourly intake with the purpose of continuing to identify a consistent strategy when it’s working. My 1st rule of nutrition is ’If it’s not broken, don’t fix it!’. With that, Jordan had a funny comment post-race when I inquired about what changes he had made from the originally scheduled nutrition plan. His response:

’What is this word ‘change’ that you say?’

Ironman Arizona Triathlon – November 22, 2009
Race Totals: 8:13:35*
Swim: 50:49
Bike: 4:22:30 (25.6 mph)*
Run: 2:55:45 (6:42 per mile)
1st place professional male
*Notes course record

Complete race results posted
here.

BREAKFAST:
  • Bowl of Koala Krisp (organic brown rice version of cocoa crispies) with Almond Breeze
  • Ultragen Shake (2-scoops)
  • Banana
  • 3 pieces Trader Joe’s Chocolate
  • (1) EFS Bar
  • (3) MultiV & (3) Optygen
  • 2 x SaltStick capsules

PRE-SWIM: Ľ bottle of EFS with one scoop of PreRace

SWIM TOTALS: 50:49 (13th o'all)

Bike Nutrition:

Bike Nutrition Totals**:
  • Calories:1654 (382 per hour)
  • CHO: 429g (99 per hour)
  • Sugar: 279g (64 per hour)
  • Sodium: 6635mg (1532 per hour)
  • Potassium: 2653mg (613 per hour)
  • Magnesium: 585mg (135 per hour)
  • Caffeine: 237mg (55 per hour)

*For reference, Jordan raced at ~154LBS (Hourly Caloric Intake (Bike): 2.6 calories /LB per hour)
**Slight edit made from original post RE Gatorade intake (adjusted from 400cal to 550cal)

BIKE TOTALS: 4:22:30 - 25.6 mph (New Bike Course Record)

Run Nutrition:

Run Nutrition Totals:
  • Calories: 1073* (370 per hour)
  • CHO: 287g (99 per hour)
  • Sugar: 237g (82 per hour)
  • Sodium: 6180mg (2131 per hour)
  • Potassium: 1995mg (688 per hour)
  • Magnesium: 272mg (94 per hour)
  • Caffeine: 166mg (57 per hour)

*For reference, Jordan raced at ~154LBS (Hourly Caloric Intake (Run): 2.53 calories /LB per hour)
**The run was assuming ~2oz of Gatorade Endurance /Coke per cup consumed or ~44oz total of each

RUN TOTALS: 2:55:45 - 6:42 per mile

Post Race/Recovery:

Photo courtesy of Rappstar Photography[/li]
  • (2) In-n-Out Double-Doubles without onions
  • (1) French Fry
  • (1) Vanilla Shake

*If you would like to schedule a 1/2 or Ironman specific[/li] Nutritional Evaluation, please e-mail Brian to set-up your appointment (Brian@PersonalBestNutrition.com).
Mention RAPPSTAR for a 10% discount!

---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Last edited by: BrianPBN: Nov 25, 10 8:14
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's IM Arizona Nutrition Report (8:13:35) [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So for the race 3.75L of liquid on the bike and 2.6L on the run so around 6L ?

I'm assuming that the RD's from Frankfurt and Roth have been calling Rappstar to participate in the yearly sub 8 hour brigade next summer!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 25, 09 5:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish In N Out would come to the east coast. We have 5 Guys which is as good as it gets here, but it ain't no In N Out.
Last edited by: slowerthanslow: Nov 25, 09 5:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But WHERE are the PEANUT BUTTER PANDA PUFFS? Why risk the entire race with the change away from the pre-race Triple P?

Luckily, Panda Puff consumption is cumulative and Rapp probably built up a good base.

------
David Roche
"The Happy Runner" book: https://www.amazon.com/...Longer/dp/1492567647
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian,

My race nutrition is very similar to Rappstar, but I continue to suck. Is it true that if I eat him, I will become him? :)

Honestly, though, that is a pretty solid plan and it's encouraging to see that mine is rather similar in composition - but closer to 300 cal/hr in average intake. Now all I need is the unwavering devotion, raw talent, and precise training to become a complete superstar. Props again to Rappstar and his team on another sound victory.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm amazed by the amount of salt that he took specially during the run.

Is it really necessary to everybody or is this something that you guys found out that he specifically needs ?

I sweat a lot, so I believe I loose a large amount of sodium and potassium also, but except for an IM in 2005 that I did , I never took salt capsules...

Does this make a lot of difference ?

Luiz Eng
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian, sorry for the dumb question but how would you break down the caloric intake on the bike? Take a little of this every 15 min., take a little of that every 15 min? I'm a big guy (190 lbs.-heavy sweater) and been trying forever to nail down a good plan for the bike.

RunFAR Racing Services
http://www.Run-far.com
Team Cambridge
Hilltop Bicycle Repair
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nothing like some free advertisement for your program :)

Member HED, Cervelo, De Soto Mafia
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's IM Arizona Nutrition Report (8:13:35) [Leng] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Luiz (& others),

I'll get back to you later today when I'm back online as I'm out of the office today (didn't want you to think I'm avoiding the questions....just not going to be online for most of the day).

The long & short answer to your question is Jordan's electrolyte intake is through the roof, arguably the highest I have ever seen. Even athletes w/ ridiculously high sweat rates or quantified high electrolyte loss, generally have an intake roughly 1/2 of his (w/ regards to Jordan's 2g /hr intake on the run). With that....please re-read one of the 1st lines in this report: "if it's not broken, don't fix it." Jordan is not a guy who does things haphazardly & his intake strategy is a direct result of MUCH trial & error & not simply a suggestion made by me or anyone else. He's experimented w/ very high & very low intake strategies & settled in on these targets for 1 reason - it's what works for HIM. This hardly means that to have success at the 1/2 or IM distance you need to replicate this EXACT strategy.

For example, we posted the nutritional report of Matias Palavecino from the RI 70.3 where he went 4:04 (posted here). You'll notice he had a FANTASTIC race at just 439mg of sodium per hour. It doesn't make one stratey right or wrong, just individual to that athlete.

I'm sure Jordan will check into this thread at some point & I'll be back online later to field any other Q's.

---

Brian Shea
Last edited by: BrianPBN: Nov 25, 09 7:23
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's IM Arizona Nutrition Report (8:13:35) [Leng] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'm amazed by the amount of salt that he took specially during the run."

this turns out to be fairly typical of many or most of the top athletes, and has been for 15 years or better. i think it would be interesting to poll the top 10 men at hawaii, and ask them everything they use: bikes, wheels, tires, run shoes, nutritional products, etc., and i wouldn't be surprised if saltstick isn't the product they most have in common.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian, what you are forgetting (or at least not saying) is that electrolyte intake for a half Ironman can be a lot lower rate than a full Ironman. This is simply because you are not racing long enough to deplete enough Na to put your body into a Na deficit if you take in a moderate amount. So comparing the electrolyte intake of athlete 1 in a 4:04 half Ironman is a different beast compared to athlete 2 in an 8:13 event. You need to compare 2 athletes doing a full IM in similar environmental conditions with similar body weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I must have over looked something because BACON was no where on this post at all!! As someone else stated the one thing I was shocked about was the amount of salt tabs taken in on the run. I take in more on the bike than I do on the run, but then again I am no expert. I think I will start experimenting with some things next year, but then again like your quote states"If it aint broke, dont fix it" or something to that effect.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's IM Arizona Nutrition Report (8:13:35) [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brad....all that salt = Bacon on race day without the fat. By now you guys should have figured that out. Are you back in Turkey keeping the boys landing with the rubber side down?
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's IM Arizona Nutrition Report (8:13:35) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev,

I'm not sure I completely agree as I have seen some exceptional performances when an athlete simply replicates their hourly electrolyte intake strategies from a 1/2, in a full IM (assuming similar conditions). Often we do increase the hourly electrolyte intake for a full, but I wouldn't say that it's a component which always needs to be increased when going from a 1/2 to a full.

My point of drawing a comparison from Jordan's strategy to Matias', is that the electrolyte intake strategies are MASSIVELY different. Even if I agreed w/ you fully on an increased hourly intake, going from a 1/2 to a full would hardly represent a 400-500% difference which is what we're seeing in these (2) reports. Again, I'm not disagreeing w/ you that it's not done, but in my experience, I don't automatically increase hourly electrolyte intake when going from a 1/2 to a full.

Time to punch out, catch-up w/ you guys later!

---

Brian Shea
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • Calories:1504 (347 per hour)

• Calories: 1073* (370 per hour)

• These numbers surprise me. They seem really high. I guess maybe one
    thing that good endurance athletes can do is take in more calories than
    us mortals.

I know I have a hard time getting down about 300 calories an hour on
    the bike, and I suspect my intensity levels are much lower than Rappstars.

-Jot
    Quote Reply
    Re: Rappstar's IM Arizona Nutrition Report (8:13:35) [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply

Nutrition is trainable and you can train your body to absore more calorie. The intensity of a pro racing isnt much higher than yours if you finish in 9-10h. If you finish in more than 11h,you should then take even more calories each hours.

We are all different but i do see lots of pro in the 3-400cal/h range on the bike. Where i m suprise is on the run, i wonder if Brian might have overestimated the amount of gatorade and coke that jordan drank??? 370cal/h seems very high....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
    Jonnyo Coaching
    Instargram
    Quote Reply
    Re: Rappstar's IM Arizona Nutrition Report (8:13:35) [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Nutrition is trainable and you can train your body to absore more calorie. The intensity of a pro racing isnt much higher than yours if you finish in 9-10h. If you finish in more than 11h,you should then take even more calories each hours.

Interesting. I need to think about this. Thanks.

We are all different but i do see lots of pro in the 3-400cal/h range on the bike. Where i m suprise is on the run, i wonder if Brian might have overestimated the amount of gatorade and coke that jordan drank??? 370cal/h seems very high....

Yeah, when i saw it was more calories/hour on the run than the bike that seemed odd.

-Jot
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    "If you finish in more than 11h,you should then take even more calories each hours."

calorie absorption is trainable, maybe, but, up to a point. somebody in his AZ race report mentioned hurling at mile-15 of the run (i don't remember whose post i was reading). if you take in more calories than you can absorb, i don't see what good can come of this, and the eventual hurl is the probable outcome.

mark allen said he thought he was uptaking 550cal/hr, and that's very high, and he thinks he trained himself to that rate. but i think one of the big differentiators in athletes is calorie uptake. if you just aren't able to uptake more tha 300cal/hr, i don't see what good it's going to do you to eat more than this. rather, i think they're finishing in over 11hr, they might want to eat less than this (per hour), if the reason they're finishing in 12hr is because they can't uptake as much as you or jorday can.

Dan Empfield
    aka Slowman
    Quote Reply
    Re: Rappstar's IM Arizona Nutrition Report (8:13:35) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    slowman

no, i would not advise to take more calorie than you can absorbe.

but looking at a lot of 13-15h finisher, seems to me like they stop during the race...walk a lot and the intensity level is definitely not in the 75-80% of threshold window that pro race at for a 8h race. So, they do have better condition to absorbs there calories.... better fill up the tank. But yes, no point in taking more than you can absorbs.

I think the biggest point is, trainable.... you need to practice it a lot in training because when you finally understand the relationship between intensity and calorie absorption, nutritional problem disappear

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
    Jonnyo Coaching
    Instargram
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    People have criticized me about how much I eat on a HIM run. I eat a gel every 2 to 2.5 miles and just water to drink. That gives me 300 to 375 per hour at 8 min/miles.

Now I don't feel so feel so self conscious :)

jaretj
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    This looks like a solid nutrition plan although i do see one minor problem: the lack of bacon availability at in-n-out!

(Whilst Five guys is really no comparison to in-n-out - they do have a bacon option for optimal recovery...)

-----------------------------------------------
    www.true-motion.com Triathlete Casual Wear since 2007
    (Twitter/FB)
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Small change. I think the bike cals are off.

My drink bottles = 204 cals per bottle = 408 total for 2 bottles
    400 cals EFS flask
    300 cals Gu Roctane
    3.75 24oz Gatorade EDGE bottles* 150cals = 562.5cals

1670cals total

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
    Quote Reply
    Re: Rappstar's IM Arizona Nutrition Report (8:13:35) [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Can you let me know how i can get to atleast 160lbs ? we have a similar bulid and i am 179lbs.

what does your daily diet consist of ?

Re: Rappstar's IM Arizona Nutrition Report (8:13:35) [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Am I right in assuming that those two bottles were meant to last until your special needs?

Or did you just keep those for the duration of the bike and supplement with the on-course Gatorade?

Another question(s), why do you add Gu to your EFS mix? Is it a flavor issue?
    Quote Reply
    Re: Rappstar's IM Arizona Nutrition Report (8:13:35) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Wow! That is so interesting. I had no idea this amount of salt was being taken.
    Quote Reply

Prev Next