Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
DC left off WCS by ITU
Quote | Reply
http://www.triathlon.org/...hip_series_calendar/

Looks like DC got dumped. Shame too, heard that race was quite well run and attended by fans.

Seems like an uphill battle having World Cups (sorry, World Championship series races) stay in the US.

Didn't think DC would be a one time thing.
Quote Reply
Re: DC left off WCS by ITU [trimess] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked at the schedule, how many places got races again in 2010? I assume London got it based on the olympics, but what about the others?

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: DC left off WCS by ITU [bad929] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the European races are repeats and that is it.

Hungary has had the longest consecutive World Cup though, so kind of a repeat. Still an odd place for the Grand Final.

I hope they find a better course in Seoul than the one I raced last year. Man, the smog was absolutely ridiculous. Kind of disconcerning to be running around near the river and most people are breathing through masks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is beyond bizarre. They came into town pretty much at the last minute, and hundreds of people here moved heaven and earth to pull off a pretty darn good event. It would make at least a little sense if they wanted to use a different US venue, but it looks like the entire country got stiffed.

I guess the ITU is saying they have everything they need, thank you, and are not interested in doing business in the US. Odd, to say the least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might still be a chance for DC or another US city. From the linked article.....

"An eighth event is also under review and if added to the series is likely to take place in May."
Quote Reply
Re: DC left off WCS by ITU [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone posted on facebook that the USAT declined having an event in the USA. Don't know how credible the info is though.

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: DC left off WCS by ITU [msuguy512] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was supposedly way too expensive to justify...
Quote Reply
Re: DC left off WCS by ITU [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what about all the money they are saving by having sprint and olympic nat's in the same place? :)

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: DC left off WCS by ITU [msuguy512] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have any idea what ITU charges to host a race?

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: DC left off WCS by ITU [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not how much ITU charges for a race - it's the costs of putting an ITU race on!

I heard that the DC race lost over $600,000.

Not many RD's around can work with those numbers and stay in business! Z
Quote Reply
Re: DC left off WCS by ITU [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, most folks have no idea how much money can be lost, even though some think RD's are getting rich over events
and charging too much money for entry.

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"D.C. sets epic stage for triathlon"

Written by: Timothy Carlson
Date: Fri Jun 19 2009

"...But the biggest roll of the dice is Washington DC - perhaps a can opener to the huge North American market and possibly a lure to increase the international hunger for triathlon racing. The icons are the biggest of the World's sole remaining (for how long?) superpower. After decades of international distaste for America thanks to the Bush Administration, Obama has created a U-Turn in US. And maybe, just maybe, a hotly competitive triathlon winding through and past historic American symbols will be a hit on TV..."

We voted for Obama and the Euro's STILL don't love us? Waaaahhhhhh!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think 100'000 US$.

That's only the cost of having the WCS label (be part of the series).
Quote Reply
Re: DC left off WCS by ITU [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have any of the rd's here received the itu's bid document? word on the street is it starts at a million which covers prize money, athlete services, itu media requirement and needs of itu staff and infrastructure. then you need to look at the cost of putting on the race. it costs. plenty. those who pay receive the 'honor' of hosting. simple really.

hungary was chosen b/c that is where worlds is next year and the grand final is where worlds is. london is obvious due to olympics.
alex
Quote Reply
Re: DC left off WCS by ITU [greg'n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We voted for Obama

Speak for yourself. :)

Written by: Timothy Carlson
Date: Fri Jun 19 2009

"...But the biggest roll of the dice is Washington DC - perhaps a can opener to the huge North American market and possibly a lure to increase the international hunger for triathlon racing. The icons are the biggest of the World's sole remaining (for how long?) superpower. After decades of international distaste for America thanks to the Bush Administration, Obama has created a U-Turn in US. And maybe, just maybe, a hotly competitive triathlon winding through and past historic American symbols will be a hit on TV..."

How do editor let drivel like this get past their desks? Connecting Bush's departure with a sudden desire to view ITU racing in the US? Ridiculous. I'm pretty sure there is a lot more interest in any number of sports before people make their way down to triathlon. I was just talking with my son yesterday about sports that are good for spectators and good for participation. Football--great for spectators; bad for the participants. Triathlon--great for participants; yawns for spectators.

Plus, the ITU still doesn't understand the Ironman fixation under which most US triathletes operate. Don't hold your breath for ITU racing to catch on here.
Chad
Quote Reply
Re: DC left off WCS by ITU [Afleet Alex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"hungary was chosen b/c that is where worlds is next year and the grand final is where worlds is"

Huh??? There is no more "worlds" for the pros. Hungary was chosen because of Tissy's World Cup history. A record of well run events and becaue Gergaly Marcus is from Hungary.

ITU racing hasn't caught on in the USA, because most athletes (including most of this board) don't think it is "real" triathlon. although for the younger generation, 25 and below, it is not being embraced, and the junior racing has come a long way! That's how it starts, just wait 20 years until all these kids are 30-40 years old. I think the tides will shift again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am one of the few on ST who thinks the ITU racing is better. More honest!!! No rules issues like on drafting that we continue to ignore in the US.
I believe the ITU is a much better race for "real" triathletes since it forces one to learn how to swim!! (And bike and run). And I am an old guy at 52

Dave

Last edited by: h2ofun: Oct 22, 09 9:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

ITU racing hasn't caught on in the USA, because most athletes (including most of this board) don't think it is "real" triathlon. although for the younger generation, 25 and below, it is not being embraced, and the junior racing has come a long way! That's how it starts, just wait 20 years until all these kids are 30-40 years old. I think the tides will shift again.
I am not sure I buy into this. I think most on this board expect a draft free race when they sign up for a non-drafting event. My self included. However, if there was an age group draft legal event, I would sign up for it. Could be fun. There just aren't any to sign up for. Do they have age-group draft legal events in other countries? I don't know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for you, welcome to the dark side!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Huh??? There is no more "worlds" for the pros. Hungary was chosen because of Tissy's World Cup history. A record of well run events and becaue Gergaly Marcus is from Hungary.

He meant age group worlds...the site/date of that was announced long ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually think the force is with me.

Quote Reply
Re: DC left off WCS by ITU [sdmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that non-drafting races should be just that. But most on this board still think that ITU athletes can't bike (although I would have to say this years IMH, and soon to happen Clearwater races, thoroughly disprove this). And that ITU racing is just a glorified 10k.

It would be cool if they had age-group draft legal races. Although I am not sure how interesting they would be, as the variance in age group swimming skill is HUGE!! I have been pushing USAT to do them for years. I think the Talent ID race they have done the last two years (the day before Elite nationals) is at least a small step in the right direction.

I had a friend who went to race for an Italian league (yes they have Pro Triathlon leagues in Europe). They also had age group races with the pro series races. And he said they were all draft legal. And most of the age groupers had never heard of non-drafting triathlon. Bike riding is bike riding to them. Why would you not draft? I think this is where some of the problems at World Age Group champs. comes from.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
re: the DC race being "attended by fans"

I watched the men and women and didn't think there were many spectators, unfortunately. It seemed like the only ones watching were me, Paulo Sousa, volunteers, some racers from earlier in the day and random tourists who paused as they were crossing the street to go to the art museum.

Lauren and Lindsey: The Slog
Quote Reply
Re: DC left off WCS by ITU [Purse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's just because you were with Paulo and therefore everyone else was trying to stay far away....
Quote Reply
Re: DC left off WCS by ITU [Purse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't say incredibly well attended by fans.

To be fair, Sunday morning is not the most opportune time for spectation. Especially in a downtown area, where there are not many people that live.

I wasn't there though, so only going on the word of a friend.
Quote Reply

Prev Next