Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Two Ironmans, One Year.....
Quote | Reply
I have done four HIM's in my two years of doing tri's and next year I'll be doing my first full at IM CDA in June. I am contemplating registering for IM AZ or IM FL also for 2010 but I am unsure if doing 2 IM's in my first year of doing them is a good idea. I know a lot of pros won't even do 2 IMs in one year, but then again, I am not a pro. This year I went 4:45 at EagleMan and 4:55 at TimberMan, and right now am training for the Philly marathon.

Who's done 2 IMs in their first season of fulls, and did you regret it?
Quote Reply
Re: Two Ironmans, One Year..... [UrsusAdiposimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Who's done 2 IMs in their first season of fulls, and did you regret it?
I did, and in my second one I lost an hour in the last 20 k... I lost the time in the second one because the first one was so good that I thought I could bike harder the second time.

I think you will be fine with 2 IM. I have done that this year, and another long distance is waiting in 2,5 months. Especially because you will have 5 months in between the 2. That should be no problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did two during my second year of doing IM's where I did IMLP and IMFL roughly four months apart. Physically I felt OK going into the last build period before tapering for IMFL, but mentally I was starting to feel fried, and I wasn't even really excited for the race once it arrived but instead was looking more to get it over with. The physical side caught up with me in the last few miles of the run on race day where I hit the wall hard and wound up in the med tent after going down at the finish line. I was just completely tapped out. I stuck to short distances the following year just to change it up a bit and focus on speed before getting the itch to go long again the year after that.

I wouldn't say I regretted doing two so close together as I learned quite a bit in the process. I know there are people who can do multiple IM's each year and perform/recover well, but it wasn't for me.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Two Ironmans, One Year..... [big slow mover] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Austria and Western Australia in my first year of Ironman. The spacing on them was pretty good - about 5 months. Gave plenty of time to recover from the first and train for the second. I'd say if you're looking at that kind of gap between the races then no worries for sure.

--
Blog - Twitter - Coaching - Training Camps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did IM USA, doing IM Cozy. 4 month gap, bout the same as yours. Havent really had too much issue with recovery, bike speed was slowest to come back. Made sure i took 1.5 weeks total off after IM USA (2 weeks running off).

4 months seems about right, enough time to gear back up, too much longer between could risk burn out. The 2 weeks off allowed me to heal up ITBS issue, expect a better IM now for Cozy. I have done 2 previous IM's so had lil more exp and base to work with though.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply