Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The elusive, affordable, indestructible gas grill
Quote | Reply
Yeah yeah yeah, charcoal etc. If you want to post that, move along. I have the whole wood/charcoal thing taken care of with another smoker/grill.

3 years ago wifey bought me a new gas grill for my birthday. A nice 5 burner charbroil commercial series duel fuel grill For the past 3 years I have used the hell out of that bitch. I probably average grilling 3 times a week, every week. That amounts to nearly 500 meals grilled on that badboy in the last 3 years.

I am not diligent when it comes to covering the grill. Yeah, I have a cover and it goes on occassionally but when you grill as often as I do, its a royal pain in the ass to take it off and put it back on. Hell, during the summer that would be almost daily. So for the most part, it stays uncovered out on the patio thru wind and rain.

Well I was cleaning it out the other day and the fricking burner tubes basically just turned to dust on me. They are broken off from their supports and when you turn it on, fires shoots out of the ends like somebody just lit the mother of all farts. Needless to say, its no longer conducive to gourmet grilling.

Well due to certain financial constraints and my attempt to not be wasteful, I have decided to try and order replacement burners for the grill. I figure that should extend the life of said grill by at least a year or two. So for around $150, I can replace the burners and a couple parts that are showing the most wear and tear.

Okay, long story short, is there a grill out there that can withstand the elements and not cost an arm and a leg. I have a dream of a built-in grill in a small "outdoor kitchen" type thing that I plan to build. However, the thought of investing significant money in a grill that will turn to dust in 3 years irks me. On the other hand, I don't really want to spend a buttload of cash, more than $600 or $700, on a grill that I won't be 100% sure that can withstand the elements. In no circumstances and I see dropping more than say $1500 on a grill regardless of how bulletproof it claims to be.

Any suggestions as to bulletproof grills that are under $1000.

"It takes courage to do it, to be a runner. We all found that out a long time ago. Because it's about more than fatigue. It's about pain, and dealing with it for a long time. And its about resolve." - Quentin Cassidy
Last edited by: Locke: Jun 30, 09 13:16
Quote Reply
Re: The elusive, affordable, indistructible gas grill [Locke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You dealing with cast iron burners? I had similar issues with them corroding since I don't use it too much over the winter.

Some grills you can replace with stainless - that is about the only way I know you can go without a lot of hassle. Haven't looked into the cost of stianless lately, since I was able to keep mine going with a thorough cleaning with wire brush and compressed air - but in time I will be in your situation - will be interested int he results.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: The elusive, affordable, indistructible gas grill [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I seriously don't remember if the original burners were cast iron or what. However, the replacement burner is a brass burner. I would imagine the original burner was also a brass burner since I would be surprised if they had a different material for their replacement parts.

"It takes courage to do it, to be a runner. We all found that out a long time ago. Because it's about more than fatigue. It's about pain, and dealing with it for a long time. And its about resolve." - Quentin Cassidy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I have the whole wood/charcoal thing taken care of with another smoker/grill."

Then your set. Does the gas grill help protect your new manicure little lady? Does it save time so you don't have to miss Army Wives?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: The elusive, affordable, indistructible gas grill [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"I have the whole wood/charcoal thing taken care of with another smoker/grill."

Then your set. Does the gas grill help protect your new manicure little lady? Does it save time so you don't have to miss Army Wives?
No princess, it saves me time so I can go do things like wrastle bears, use power tools and get my nads waxed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, waxing nads, wow. Look here is a fact there is nothing wrong with you. You are perfect just as the baby Jesus made you. Why don't you and your gas grill just step on out of that closet and be who you are, a gas grill user.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: The elusive, affordable, indistructible gas grill [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought you didn't believe in Jesus.

Darwin taught us about evolution. I am simply trying to evolve and upon close inspection have decided that nad hair serves no purpose. Therefore in my effort to be a more perfect and evolve Locke, I have no choice but to have it removed.

Also, without nad hair, I have found that the boys look HUGE.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 3 burner Webber that has been outside in the elements 24/7 since about 1996. (I have been using a cover for the last 7 or 8 years though). It still cooks like the day it was new. It still looks OK too, not new but about like a 2 year old Charbroil would. I have not had to replace the burners but I did buy some new grates about 6 years ago and I put a new ignitor in it this spring. They are about $600-700 today and if they are still building them like they used to, its practically a once in a lifetime purchase.

If you really do want to save time and money for waxing, get a Webber.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL.

It's kind of like a bike. You have inexpensive, strong, and lightweight.....pick any two.

As close as you're likely to get are the Weber Genesis models. Get one in stainless and take care of it and it will last a lot of years. You'll replace burners and grates every now and then, but for the most part, you'll get a good long life out of it.

Step up to a DCS or Lynx and it'll out live you......but bring a pretty good sized wheelbarrow full of money to the table, that $1500 you talked about won't even begin to touch one.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt
Last edited by: David in FL: Jun 30, 09 13:31
Quote Reply
Re: The elusive, affordable, indistructible gas grill [David in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a really cool site I found with some interesting information regarding burner materials and "burn through".

http://www.gasgrillsnow.com/BurnerComparison.htm

Looks like cast stainless steel is easily the best material. But like previously stated, its fucking expensive. Guess if I win the lottery or somesuch, I will grab a Fire Magic. Those burners look to be not only bulletproof, they may be nuke proof.

Guess if I ever do get the true permenant outdoor kitchen, I will have to step up with the wheelbarrow full of cash. But until then, I may have to look into the weber.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fire Magic makes a great product. When we built our summer kitchen we looked at them, but ended up with a DCS. The DCS is great, but has enough quirks that if I'd do it again I'd prob end up with the Fire Magic.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weber Genesis or similar, especially in stainless steel is hard to beat for the cost. Extremely even heat---only complaint is that it doesn't get hot enough (600-800 degrees).

However nothing beats a Lynx. I bought one used on ebay 6 years ago for $1500 for a stand alone with a double side burner---it weighs probably 300lbs & it came from a residence right on the Pacific ocean---and the seller certainly didn't cover it or anything like that. I spent $300 on new ignition system/temp gauge installed/LP conversion & about 1 hour every 6 months cleaning it, and it is seriously as good as new. It is friggin awesome---getting the temp to 800 or so isn't a problem, and with 3 burners in 42" of cooking area, it gets really hot, really quickly. No problems whatsoever. The grill is probably 10-12 years old, and as another poster stated, it will likely outlive me. My buddy dropped about $12k on a full Lynx outdoor kitchen 3 years ago, and his system works & looks as good as the day it was installed.

Good deals occasionally pop up on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/...mp;_trkparms=65%3A13|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

This was a steal for $1800. The buyer will never need to buy another grill.

There is a regular seller of Lynx grills out of Texas who occasionally has great deals. If you can wait 90-120 days, at the end of summer there are usually all sorts of decent deals on scratch n dents and/or display deals.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: The elusive, affordable, indistructible gas grill [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy WTF!!

I never heard of Lynx grills until today. Here's a good one: http://www.lynxgrills.com/...iew.asp?idproduct=92

Makes my nice Weber (cast iron grates, thank you very much) look like a bike form the dollar store. Wow.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get my nads waxed.

Listen, a real man would use a rabid beaver on amphetamines to trim such areas. Get with the program!

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: The elusive, affordable, indestructible gas grill [Locke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Gas grills are like cheap lawn mowers , ya new to buy some parts / keep them clean . I have a 4 burner cast iron rig .
The generic unit that chain stores tag as their own product . The volume made helps to always keep parts available .
A place in Florida has " grill parts " has most anything at 30 -50 % off list . Burners alone are would be 10-$20 a year of use on most garden variety grills .

The basic frame -wheels - regulator / knobs -lid - are bullet proof . Even a thrift store grill can be resurrected for $30-80 .
Quote Reply
Re: The elusive, affordable, indistructible gas grill [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$155 for an f'ing vinyl grill cover. Sorry, someone is getting played here.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: The elusive, affordable, indistructible gas grill [Just Old] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I think the best value covers on the market are from a company called Koverroos. I've had two in the past 7 years---they last about 3-4 years, and their current version is going on year 4 & still looks/feels new. Not that crappy vinyl stuff that flakes & eventually gets stiff & falls apart.

http://store.koverroos.com/...Code=C_GRILL_LARGE_L

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: The elusive, affordable, indestructible gas grill [Locke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Modern Home Products. Old style, built like tanks, and last forever. They don't come in the girley man Williams Sonoma stainless steel, but they get the job done. Going on six years with mine and it looks almost new. Never covered, rarely cleaned.

Link
Quote Reply
Re: The elusive, affordable, indistructible gas grill [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Holy WTF!!

I never heard of Lynx grills until today. Here's a good one: http://www.lynxgrills.com/...iew.asp?idproduct=92

Makes my nice Weber (cast iron grates, thank you very much) look like a bike form the dollar store. Wow.
There are poser at back yard cooking just like in cycling (and many other things as well). I typically just roll my eyes and keep quiet.
Quote Reply