Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Finally, some cranksets that put powercranks to shame
Quote | Reply
i kid you not:

the 'technical' stuff:

"We have researched and road tested for the past 10 years and now we are very pleased to present you 2 types of power curved cranks. According to SGS Taiwan test report, power-curved crank can increase 25~30% torque output between angle 0° (upper dead point) and ~60°. It has overcome technical difficulties on raising power efficiency in the bicycle industry for two centuries. Power-curved cranks use the design of the golden spiral ratio, which create more pedaling efficiency than traditional cranks can provide, so that no matter bike lovers or normal riders can enjoy more fun of speed and comfortable riding. Also, its bright appearance and improved manufacturing process enhance the value and outstanding of the bicycle. For the purpose of meeting the commercialization, the power-curved cranks can be installed on any kind of bike without changing manufacturing process. Also, the power-curved cranks provide wider range of gear ratios for bicycle designing. In addition to those advantages, using power-curved cranks can increase 30% rotational momentum."

and the results of 'research' here:
http://www.e-chien.com.tw/english/knowledge.html

Where would you want to swim ?
Last edited by: GregX: Mar 19, 09 10:36
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [GregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

wow

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like they pulled that out of their................oh wait maybe they really did?!?!
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

wow

+1

Nothing else to say...

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

wow

+1

Nothing else to say...
LOL. What they don't mention is they have simply shifted the dead spot 90ş such that it is now at the middle of the downstroke. And, they haven't put us to shame unless they cost more than we do. :-)

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Last edited by: Frank Day: Mar 18, 09 17:56
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seriously?

seems to me they're no different than regular cranks. Deadspot is a function of the design of the human body and gravity, not the design of the crank.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
LOL. What they don't mention is they have simply shifted the dead spot 90ş such that it is now at the middle of the downstroke...

Was that supposed to be in pink? Or is there actually some mechanism in those monsters? [Or, did you never take a Statics course? ;) ]

EDIT: I might have to change my tag line after seeing those things....

Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Mar 18, 09 18:06
Quote Reply
Post deleted by lschmidt [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: lschmidt: Mar 18, 09 18:14
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [JeepFleeb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Cool photo. What's the story on them?

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, didn't you read this part?

Power-curved cranks use the design of golden spiral ratio

Duh! ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They should have mentioned the boomerang feature. When someone passes you, you can pull off a crank, throw it at them knocking them off their bike, wait for the crank to return, put it back on and crush their dreams.

Insider info say the ninja star version comes out early next year. The bike course should become fun.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Dude, didn't you read this part?

Power-curved cranks use the design of golden spiral ratio

Duh! ;-)
I was thinking the same thing--the GOLDEN SPIRAL!!! how are you gonna argue with that one??

then there's the official Taiwan Bicycle Guide 'random prepositional phrase': "For the purpose of meeting the commercialization"....... umm....huh??

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So do these accelerate at some point of the pedal stroke relative the bottom bracket compared to the chainrings that are moving at constant angular velocity and then decelerate in another phase of the stroke, or are these cranks moving at constant angular velocity too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put some q-rings on those bad boyz and you're all set! Who knows where the dead spot will end up. They will confuse the dead spot so much that it will run away in fear.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So do these accelerate at some point of the pedal stroke relative the bottom bracket compared to the chainrings that are moving at constant angular velocity and then decelerate in another phase of the stroke, or are these cranks moving at constant angular velocity too?
you're kidding, right?? these are are going on $120.00 bikes going to Walmart.

Here's some seriously funny reading: http://www.e-chien.com.tw/...ish/knowledge01.html
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It's called the "Clone Stamp" tool in Photoshop ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
... using power-curved cranks can increase 30% rotational momentum

Probably because they'll weigh fifteen pounds.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Imposing 180KG pedaling force on 30° in 50,000 times fatigue test,the BB borked on the 25,000th time.

Borked ??? How has such an awesome word escaped my vocabulary for so long?

sometimes you just have to eat the cake
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Here's a pic of legendary British Time Trialist Ian Cammish setting the British 50 mile record in 1983 on a pair of L shaped cranks. He went 1:39 with no aerobars, no aerohelmet, and wheels that were less aero than today's road racing wheels. There was quite a bit of vehicular traffic on the course to help though. I'm not sure if Ian fell for the BS about them being faster than regular cranks or if he was just taking cash from the sponsors, but he was incredibly successful on them. He's now about 51 and still winning big races, while working for Planet-X bikes, and writing a column on their website where among other things he shares details of the problems with his taint that might be better left between him and his doctor. Nice bloke.

Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [BigBloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can assure you Ian's success had nothing to do with the crank. That crank is equivalent to one that went straight from the BB to the pedal, except that is heavier and maybe flexes more.

This is in fact, a prime example of why "if its good enough for Lance/Norman/Torbjorn" arguments should be ignored =)

Actually I might trust Torbjorn

;)

In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Here's a pic of legendary British Time Trialist Ian Cammish setting the British 50 mile record in 1983 on a pair of L shaped cranks. He went 1:39 with no aerobars, no aerohelmet, and wheels that were less aero than today's road racing wheels. There was quite a bit of vehicular traffic on the course to help though. I'm not sure if Ian fell for the BS about them being faster than regular cranks or if he was just taking cash from the sponsors, but he was incredibly successful on them. He's now about 51 and still winning big races, while working for Planet-X bikes, and writing a column on their website where among other things he shares details of the problems with his taint that might be better left between him and his doctor. Nice bloke.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [vortmax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
Imposing 180KG pedaling force on 30° in 50,000 times fatigue test,the BB borked on the 25,000th time.

Borked ??? How has such an awesome word escaped my vocabulary for so long?
I actually have the "Bork bork bork" add-on to Firefox, which in addition to a few other features, allows you to right click on a highlighted passage and "Bork Copy," translating it into mock Swedish. Demonstration:

"Impuseeng 180KG pedeleeng furce-a oon 30° in 50,000 times fetigooe-a test,zee BB borked oon zee 25,000t time-a.
Bork Bork Bork!

Borked ??? Hoo hes sooch un evesume-a vurd isceped my fuceboolery fur su lung?
Bork Bork Bork!

I ectooelly hefe-a zee "Bork bork bork" edd-oon tu Fureffux, vheech in eddeeshun tu a foo oozeer feetoores, elloos yuoo tu reeght cleeck oon a heeghlighted pessege-a und "bork text," trunsleting it intu muck Svedeesh!"

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I can assure you Ian's success had nothing to do with the crank. That crank is equivalent to one that went straight from the BB to the pedal, except that is heavier and maybe flexes more.
Yes, I'm very well aware of that, hence I referred to it as "BS". From the pic you can see he was also promoting Brian Rourke frames, and I went out and bought one in '89, it served me very well. However I ended up having to dump it in a skip at Club La Santa rather than paying to ship a cracked frame home. Sad day!
Last edited by: BigBloke: Mar 18, 09 21:28
Quote Reply
Re: Finally, cranksets that put powercranks to shame [BigBloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those.

Are.

Awesome.

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Quote Reply

Prev Next