Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

power meter on Iphone
Quote | Reply
now some software and an app to let you use your iphone with a powermeter such as a quarg or wireless SRM would be cool...
Quote Reply
Re: power meter on Iphone [Ruley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
now some software and an app to let you use your iphone with a powermeter such as a quarg or wireless SRM would be cool...

Someone's been working on that for awhile now:

http://www.smheartlink.com/irpmplus.html

The main issues are on the Apple end, and how "easy" it is to get data into the thing...oh yeah, and the iPhone isn't exactly ruggedly "weather resistant" ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wouldnt work:
a) no good way to attach iphone to bike
b) iphones cant receive radio at 2.4ghz (frequency of ANT+ devices)
c) iphones are expensive and fragile beasties and dont like getting wet or sweaty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Cartels: Serotta, Zipp 2001, Guru, eh?
-"It was kinda long and then i got really tired"
Quote Reply
Re: power meter on Iphone [clyde_s_dale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
wouldnt work:
a) no good way to attach iphone to bike
b) iphones cant receive radio at 2.4ghz (frequency of ANT+ devices)
c) iphones are expensive and fragile beasties and dont like getting wet or sweaty.

Did you even read Tom's link? I actually think that's a really cool idea. Of course, the $159 cost of the wireless ANT+ receiver makes it a bit less attractive.

Valid criticism on the weatherproofing, but hell, put it in a plastic bag, shrink wrap it to a mount..I'm sure there's a low buck solution.

Kendall Frederick

Orange Park, FL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've thought about this, not with an iPhone per se but with my video iPod. My video iPod is my best friend while riding in the garage and it would be sweet to have my Power Tap data read right onto the display while watching flicks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not really worried about getting the data into the iPhone, I am more worried about getting it out of the iPhone. Generally Apple doesn't let applications "write" to the iPhone and I didn't see that you could download the data back out of it. It's a good start but looks like its showing more real time stats than actually recording the data for later on. If they can record it and have it be downloadable from the iPhone to WKO+ or RaceDay now we are talking. This would really blow the 705 away. 160 since you already have the phone is not that big of deal and its cheaper than a 705, and you only have to carry 1 computer. The Iphone has huge potential, its a matter of Apple allowing it to grow into what it can be.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: power meter on Iphone [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their website mentions downloading to a couple of applications with others pending, so I assume WKO+ would be do-able. We were talking about this at lunch; I'd like to see those transceivers (ANT+ to Bluetooth?) widely available. The app for a Windows mobile phone like the new Verizon phone or a Google Android phone should be very easy to write.

Kendall Frederick

Orange Park, FL
Quote Reply
Re: power meter on Iphone [KendallF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be awesome if ANT+ was just given up on and everything was just bluetooth. It would make things a lot easier. Imagine this you could pair your power meter to your apple computer/whatever computer and feed stats into it in real time if you are working on a trainer. Once Apple allows bluetooth syncing we will really be in the money. Come home from a ride and your file is downloaded from your iPhone with out plugging it in. The same thing could be accomplished with ANT+ but ANT+ isn't built into the iPhone or any other phone so an adapter would be required either on the computer or on the phone. 1 standard is easier for everyone.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why iphone? do you expect phone calls on the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: power meter on Iphone [clyde_s_dale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
b) iphones cant receive radio at 2.4ghz (frequency of ANT+ devices)???

Think again. What do you think the wifi operability is?

Quote Reply
Re: power meter on Iphone [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Unless your wife is expecting a baby, there's no reason to take a call while training...:) I still can't figure out what's so dang important for people to be yapping on the cell phone while they are driving, walking, etc. Are their lives so empty that they must be talking to someone all of the time in order to make themselves feel better?

I've had a cell phone for 15 years and probably have answered about 10 calls total on it. I still use a land line 95% of the time.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious b/c I have the iPhone and a 705 -- why in the world would you want to mount an iPhone to your bike? It's huge. It's heavy. It's fragile. Does not make any sense to me.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: power meter on Iphone [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It would be awesome if ANT+ was just given up on and everything was just bluetooth. It would make things a lot easier. Imagine this you could pair your power meter to your apple computer/whatever computer and feed stats into it in real time if you are working on a trainer. Once Apple allows bluetooth syncing we will really be in the money. Come home from a ride and your file is downloaded from your iPhone with out plugging it in. The same thing could be accomplished with ANT+ but ANT+ isn't built into the iPhone or any other phone so an adapter would be required either on the computer or on the phone. 1 standard is easier for everyone.
Actually, ANT and bluetooth were competing for a short time, and ANT won (for this application). It does have some technical advantages.
Also, your earlier point "b" is not correct. The iPhone does have 2.4GHz radios and is physically capable of talking to an ANT device. In fact, the iPod Touch uses the Broadcomm bluetooth chip to talk to the Nike+ pod - the difference is software.
If there was a market for using the PC for real time data capture from ANT devices there would be a product for it. It's really, really easy to do (I have an application I wrote that shows my HR full screen).

--------------------------------------------------
Yeah, it's a great bike but the engine needs work.
Quote Reply
Re: power meter on Iphone [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Agreed. Unless your wife is expecting a baby, there's no reason to take a call while training...:) I still can't figure out what's so dang important for people to be yapping on the cell phone while they are driving, walking, etc. Are their lives so empty that they must be talking to someone all of the time in order to make themselves feel better?
My sentiments exactly.
Quote Reply
Re: power meter on Iphone [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must not be very popular :-)
Land lines ?
What ever they are . Must be records,muscle cars,honest bankers .
I'm on a iPod now

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Last edited by: cheyou: Mar 13, 09 18:40
Quote Reply