Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Du Nationals Challenge
Quote | Reply
There is a new "challenge" commencing Feb 15. This will be the first challenge based on aerobic points, that is to say, the metric used to determine who's leading the challenge is not swim yards, or run sessions, but aerobic points (a way to normalize and aggregate a volume of work performed across various endurance disciplines).

There is an article on the home page discussing this challenge. You'll note that it's elementary to many of you, in that it goes over some things about Slowtwitch you already well know. The reason for the article is this: as it is a USAT National Championship, and as we are focusing on this race with a challenge, USAT is apprising its annual members of this in an effort to join forces, so to speak, and provide a robust training utility to their members -- many who are already Slowtwitch readers, many who are not.

This will be the official smack-talking, information-sharing, no-question-is-too-stupid-asking, thread. You'll note some new users posting here over the next few weeks, as some of the USAT folks click over, read, and decide to stay and participate. Do your best to be gentle ... with them. But for the rest of us old timers, may the bragging, wagering, prognosticating, and spit-talking begin. I'm pretty sure I'm going to win this challenge, tho I know I'm going to have to rub Mike Plumb's face in the dirt to do it (in every competition there is a casualty).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Feb 1, 09 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: Du Nationals Challenge [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about bike trainer workouts? You don't want to go by miles on a trainer (say, rollers with no resistance)...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Du Nationals Challenge [Just Old] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im in!

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK if you're going to have smacktalk this USAT Du Nationals Challenge will not be complete unless you SoCal boys do a duathlon on Palomar...5 K run out and back from the post that you start the climb on (you can do the run wherever is runable without doing it on the climb) and then hop on your bikes and head for the summit. Paul Thomas better be up the mountain in under an hour. You better have duathlon King Kenny Souza show up in a speedo and Nishiki.

We want live ST coverage. We should even have a donation page put up so you can fly in smackdown challengers from Missouri...any additional donations that remain after the guest racer is brought in from Missouri can be used for prize money :-) :-) :-)

I'll even host a version for your NorCal friends out of Palo Alto and we'll ride up Old Lahonda (I know, a mere bump compared to Palomar), the first week of April when I am supposed to head down for some meetings.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Du Nationals Challenge [Just Old] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say it is pretty well honour system....if someone wants to put down 25 mph on their rollers or trainer, then they are only cheating themselves unless they are Floyd or Tyler (in which case...well we won't go there...). I just put 30 kph regardless of how hard or easy I go on my insideride rollers, cause that is pretty well what my outdoor rides end up averaging with hills and wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
expect no favors, I am on a roll this year. The knees are cooperating and I am running well. Swimming and biking are also going well. So I guess that means I am in for the Challenge.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Du Nationals Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they are lucky, they have a PT rear wheel that gives all the information they need, even on the trainer! ;-)

And yes...I am definitely in. Du Nats is "A" race for the spring!

RBailey....where are you? And the rest of the 40-44 crowd?
Quote Reply
Re: Du Nationals Challenge [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well if some guys are doing the palomar virtual climb duathlon they better put a phone book under their trainer, then they better turn on the fan to simulate the headwind, turn on the solar lamp for the sun and finally add a few cement bottles to the bike for training effect. Then insert their virual results somewhere between Floyd, Kenny Souza and Paul Thomas (did I just say that Kenny beats Paul Thomas to the top) ???

OK, better go out and run....20 min warmup bike to lubricate the joints and then 10K run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
OK if you're going to have smacktalk this USAT Du Nationals Challenge will not be complete unless you SoCal boys do a duathlon on Palomar...5 K run out and back from the post that you start the climb on (you can do the run wherever is runable without doing it on the climb) and then hop on your bikes and head for the summit. ... and a run to the Observatory after that seems reasonable, don't you think?

Are YOU in the Zone?
http://www.discomfortzone.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Hopefully this will be the extra motivation I need to really crank out the bike miles. That's not going so well these days.

I race duathlons and like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in although I sprained my ankle yesterday warming up for a triathlon turned aquathon because the roads were too icy to ride on...granted I sprained my ankle on the run course slipping on ice, lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Du Nationals Challenge [mcoughlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Show up to the Irontour Whiteface mountain hillclimb on Friday June 19th at 4 pm at Mirror Lake beach in Lake Placid....since I really don't like running that much we do a the hillclimb for bragging rights and then return to Mirror Lake Beach and swim Beach to Beach to Beach (around 2.7K)...that swim at the end of a crazy hard 3 hour ride while not quite Palomar observatory "legendary" should be a suitable stand in for those of use stuck in the snow right now. My times on Whiteface and Alpe d'Huez are within a minute of each other for what it is worth...note quite Palomar gross elevation gain but pretty solid nonetheless total climb of 3522 at 8% (we actually end our climb at bit further up the road at the flagpole after the parking lot...the official race ends down the mtn at the start of the parking lot)

Sadly it falls outside the time frame of this challenge !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
c'mon dev ...

"crazy hard 3 hour ride"

more like mind-mumbingly, quad-crushingly,butt-grindingly hard 1hr+ ride sandwiched between two easy cruises. but i am *so* there :)

Quote Reply
Re: Du Nationals Challenge [dawhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You realize that when we were riding back to LP after Whiteface, Dave Harju's Powertap was spiking up to 300-400W on every hill...our perceived exertion meters were off after the pain of Whiiteface....OK, call it 90 minute super hard and 90 minutes of cruising around and softpedalling/tucking downhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you already in the Old Man's category? I would be in except for two reasons: 1) I'm really slow right now (a mere shadow of my last year's fitness and 2) no money to travel either. They don't make for a good combination, but with me still cranking out regular Vasa workouts--as in six days a week. I swam my highest month in several years and the first time in 29P that I have "swam" at all in January. :) I doubt I'll be much of a duathlete until the end of May, but I may actually be a trithlete for the first time ever.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Du Nationals Challenge [cyclonehockey21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im no longer in the young shits category i just moved up to 25-29m

Grant
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Re: Du Nationals Challenge...I may be old but I am in [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK. I am in and signed up for Du Nat. What the heck is the course like? I have heard good/bad things about this race......

May we save duathlons...

KK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I'm in.
I've 'graduated' up to the 40-44 category this year. There is some incredible competition in that AG.

Today was my first day of being unemployed since.....I think since I was 15 years old.
Hopefully I won't have lots and lots of extra time to train between now and then, but it's not looking good.

Doug

----------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sweet one less person to worry about! thanks for being old
Quote Reply
Re: Du Nationals Challenge [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha i don't think you have to "worry" too much about me. It will be my first du i actually trained for. I'm not counting worlds last year since that was just a clusterfuck and after starting 3hours late i hit a brick wall on the 4th lap of the bike.

Grant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Seeing how I have nothing better to do than to bike and run.
That and I'm doing the Age Group race instead of the Junior race (which sucks because it's twice the distance).
18-19 Age Group FTW!! :D

-Christian Crawford

------------------------------------------------------

I hate looking like I'm 12 and being in the 20 year old age group...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be leaving the 40-44 crowd this year and officially become an old fart. I hope to squeek onto Team USA at Nationals then get fit and take my A game to Worlds in the fall. With both races driving distance from NY, it would be pretty lame not to show up.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: Du Nationals Challenge [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like we're on the same plan...with the same reasoning. What about ML? He gonna toe the line in Richmond?

Nats, Worlds, AmZof...yup...gonna be a good year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think ML does plan on going, in which case we'll probably road trip together. Of course, we'll have to take turns driving, or the tires will wear unevenly given my copious weight and the fact that ML weighs less than my dog.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: Du Nationals Challenge [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you not get the memo from cyclonehockey that 25-29 was old farts. You're not just dinosaur, 45-49 is more life fossilized dino age group (of course at the local tris, we just get trashed by all fossilized dinos...its rather pathetic! Good luck at du nationals and world's
Quote Reply

Prev Next