Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tom D & Yaqui Cycles...
Quote | Reply
Hey Tom, maybe 6 months ago (possibly longer) you posted a jubilant thread about being the one and only bicycle shop blessed with the opportunity to sell Ves Mandaric's Yaqui line of bicycles. If I recall correctly this was still an "order one and they build it" system much akin to the way Ves sells his line directly, only with your shop being the measurer/fitter/go-between. For those who may be based within a few hours of Dearborn I can see a definite advantage to purchasing through your shop - not only for the sake of after-sales service, but also for fitting, precise measurement, etc. But would there be a sufficiently moving reason for someone considering a Yaqui to go through you if more than one visit to the shop is not feasible?

I have come to the conclusion that my current bike just does not fit me well - and after two seasons of tweaking and having been professionally fit on my current bike, am now considering a Yaqui. I was also looking into Titan-Flex, but am less than 100% confident that it will be an optimal fit for me (while I'm sure it *can* fit, the fit might not be ideal)

So... for a potential customer in Vancouver, BC, would you offer any advantage over ordering directly from Ves himself?

Thanks,

Khai

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Tom D & Yaqui Cycles... [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump... come on, Tom - I'm looking for an excuse to come and drop some coin in your store!

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a single Yaqui on my floor right now and that is really quite a shame. They are really magnificent bikes and I like working with Ves. He is a nice guy and a great builder.

For the '05 season I would like to put some more of Ves's bikes on the floor in here.

Furthermore, I am pleased to provide sizing, at no charge, for a bike you are going to purchase either through here or from Ves directly from his website.

I believe in guys like Ves Mandaric and Yaqui Bicycles. I think they make a credible product and are sincerely interested in doing the best they can. It shows in their work.

For that reason, while I doubt I will ever sell 50 of them a year, I would always be pleased to sell Yaqui bicycles.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tom D & Yaqui Cycles... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Furthermore, I am pleased to provide sizing, at no charge, for a bike you are going to purchase either through here or from Ves directly from his website. /reply]

Thanks Tom, your reviews on Yaqui, combined with Dan's and many others on this board have given me a lot of confidence in my decision. Is the sizing you offer an in-store gig only? I might make it to Toronto this Xmas, which would make Dearborn an easy trip - but I'm not 100% sure of my plans that far in advance... Otherwise, would the measurement form on the Yaqui website work?

Thanks,

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Khai,

Jumping in here to say that I used the sizing forms on the website, which are not too difficult to figure out. After a bit of to and fro with Ves on email for him to understand my biking experience, type of riding I'm mostly doing etc, he produced and shipped a frame halfway across the world to Southeast Asia that fit.

How do I know it fits? Well, I've experienced a vast improvement in comfort, endurance and speed as compared to my old bike. This was from the very first test ride a couple of months ago, and I've done an OD and several long rides in preparation for a HIM and IM since..... I now know the feeling of what a good fit feels like, and not wanting to leave the bike even after several hours of riding on rolling hills....it is that comfortable.

My (unsolicited) advice is to do the measurements as per fitting form on the website, talk to Ves (be honest - no ego bullshit so he can fit to your real needs!), send him a photo if need be so he understand your body type, and if you are still not comfortable, then consider going to see TomD. But I really don't see the value add of doing so if choose you place your trust in Ves and his system by choosing Yaqui or Mandaric bikes.

My 2 cents and enjoy your new ride! Oh.... check out the range of custom colors that are available as well. Cheers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Khai, if you get Tom to respond in a p.m. and not on forum could give me a nod? I sent one to him 2 weeks ago, to ask for procedure for a visit for a fit when I am in Vancouver next week, and haven't received an answer as yet.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Tom D & Yaqui Cycles... [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uhhhh - you are aware that Vancouver is quite a distance from Michigan, correct? Are you planning a stopover in Detroit as well?

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Tom D & Yaqui Cycles... [6iron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks man, I love hearing about everyone's experiences with Ves. It's not so much that I'm reluctant to go directly through Ves, as I'm trying to see if there's sufficient additional value to going through Tom. He adds a lot to this forum, and I'd like to support him if possible.

Plus, I've never been to his shop and borrowing a car for the day, and making a 10/12hr round trip commute just to check out a cool store would be kind of insane. If I were doing it to buy a bike however, it would be significantly less so. ;)

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, thank you. I had already done the background work on location, thanks, Khai.

Although I don't know how to get to Burnaby Velodrome from Delta!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure where you'll be in Delta, but if you can get to the highway this will get you there:

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&un=m&2tabval=address&cl=EN&ct=NA&1tabval=address&1y=US&1a=&1c=Delta&1s=BC&1z=&2y=US&2a=7564+Barnet+Highway&2c=Burnaby&2s=BC&2z=&idx=0&id=413f9097-0013d-05cdb-400c254f&aid=413f9097-0013e-05cdb-400c254f

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Khai. Another home run! You are the man that can! I think it's about 25k from where my GF lives, so I may bike there if I can get an answer from their contact e, I have failed with the last 3! If it weren't for your replies, between them and Tom's nil responses, I would think my e mails weren't going out!

Ciao,

Last edited by: jk_allen13: Sep 8, 04 22:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]If it weren't for your replies, between them and Tom's nil responses, I would think my e mails weren't going out! [/reply]

You know, my replies here prove nothing about the state of your email... ;)

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know, I just thought Tom might read it and it would be a gentle prompt!

Quote Reply