Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Letter from an Ironman widow
Quote | Reply
Hi, there. Remember me? I'm the one you promised oh-so-many-year-ago to love and cherish for all eternity. And I don't remember there being an exception made for Ironman years. Maybe you whispered that part.

I know that crossing that finish line takes an incredible amount of hard work. And I admire that effort; you know I do. You have inspired me with your ability to come home from work and do a five-hour ride on the trainer because it's getting too dark to do it on the road. I am in awe of your discipline. I could use some of that myself.

But do you really think about what your family is sacrificing to get you to that finish line? And I mean, Really. Think. About. It. We've given up any free time with you; when you are around, you're so beat from working out that you're really not there anyway. A family trip to Europe would have been lovely this year. But that money got spent on gear and coaching and massages and physical therapy and Gatorade. (Remind me to buy their stock next year.) That's ok. I've been able to use the time we would have spent on vacation to do all the chores that need doing around here, because you're too busy to help out anymore. Working, cooking a nutritious dinner every night, keeping the house clean and in good repair, paying the bills, showing up at all the kids' activities, and hiring babysitters so I can at least go out with the girls keeps me busy. And it keeps my mind off the fact that an Ironman is too busy and tired for sex.

I know I sound mad. Really, I try not to be. But I feel very taken for granted. Maybe you could think about showing some love for what your Ironman widow puts up with. Maybe your buddies here will have some suggestions. Or maybe they could use some ideas themselves. (You know, I might just be YOUR IronWidow.) Or maybe they'll just feel sorry for you and be glad I'm not their spouse. If so, I hope they can refrain from mentioning it; I'm having a bad day, and I don't think I could take it. Besides, I think I probably speak for most Ironman widows when I say that I AM proud of my Ironman; you are a rare and special kind of person. But you know, so am I. So am I.
Quote Reply
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [IronWidow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try buying him a brand new set of zipps... it'll work wonders..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'll be sure to make certain my wife never reads this thread!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is why my wife and I train together. Why wallow in self pity when there is real pain to be felt out there on the road. Get out there get er done.
Quote Reply
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [dman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, and no one is ever to tired for sex. That just cant be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"too...tired for sex" ? I don't think I've ever been that tired. EVER!
Quote Reply
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [rubberchicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I missed that part on the first read.

NO man (Iron, or other) is EVER too tired for sex.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this, IronWidow.
My wife and I are in the middle of this very conversation/debate these days so I'll be watching the thread hoping for some serious replies that offer real help on a topic for once. I know, may be a long-shot here, tho!
Best of luck to you and your Ironman.

-Steven

I won't quit running when I get old...I'll get old when I quit running.
Blogging from time to time at: http://trirunning.blogspot.com
Last edited by: slivermo: Jul 31, 08 15:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps you're rubbish at sex?

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're being awfully selfish...certain elements of your post remind me of an email the GF sent me recently:

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Post of the day!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronWidow,

Thank you for your letter. This thread has the makings of a classic.

Regards,

Fatty
Last edited by: Fatty: Jul 31, 08 15:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
you are a rare and special kind of person. But you know, so am I. So am I.

Yes you are.

Ironman training can be an incredibly selfish and self centered think to do. I hope that your ironman rcognizes that and knows that he owes everyone in his family who have supported him in chasing his dream.

I hope that his race is coming up soon. So often it is right near the end, when the training hours have piled up, that not only is the ironman's body tiring out, so is his family's good will. If you can, keep supporting him thru race day, and then after a little while, have a little discussion with him about the cost to his family of his ironman training. He is probably having the time of his life and may not notice that cost. He needs to be told. But, if you can, wait until he is done. If you can't, tell him now. No race is worth a marriage, certainly not a good marriage and, well, you sound like a keeper to me and it sounds like you think he is too.

Grant

Quote Reply
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bahahahah... thank you for that! :D

Quote | Reply
Kelly? Baby? Is that you sweetheart? Kel-Kel?

Awwww shit...... I'll be back.....

"Wow, are you a triathlete?"
If spoken by a non-swimmer, that's a compliment. When spoken by a swimmer.... -glitch
My wife's blog http://www.hostilewit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And it keeps my mind off the fact that an Ironman is too busy and tired for sex.

Yeah? You post a picture of yourself and I'll pm you my address!!!

------------------------------------------------------------
"Triathlon is for people who can't handle drugs and alcohol." -IMFL t-shirt

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like this belongs here: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
too busy and tired for sex.
+
rare and special kind of person. But you know, so am I. So am I.
...makes me think some pics are in order. There's clearly something missing here....

----------------------------------------------------------

If it's a YMCA pool, the lightning wanders around the locker room naked for an hour, then uses the blow dryer on its junk. -lunchbox
Last edited by: hjghost: Jul 31, 08 15:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder how many guys out there are praying this isn't their wife?

Seriously this is an issue I have discussed with my SO on many occasions (well except the sex part since...well we are married). My goal is to never (ok...rarely) let training impact family life. I get up at O'dark thirty, go on Sat long rides at 6:00AM and one last thing...never complain how tired you are even when you are dieing. It is just a hobby...never forget that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a hot shower, walk it off and stop whining...

Your husband needs to do this in order to get that nifty M-dot tattoo.
Quote Reply
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [Raul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And it keeps my mind off the fact that an Ironman is too busy and tired for sex.

Yeah? You post a picture of yourself and I'll pm you my address!!!

And cue Chip in three......two......one......

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
interesting post. wow, it sounds like you and your spouse should have been discussing this during the timeframes involved. Yes, it is a very selfish activity, ironman, and I for one, realizing it discussed it thoroughly with my spouse (and children) before training for an ironman, during the training after, and before the next one. If my spouse felt like you do, I would quit the sport in a heartbeat.
Quote Reply
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [Fatty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The famous Sergio thread just took a backseat to this one. I'm envisioning record-breaking views and replies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah something's definitely missing...maybe you just need to give him some oral sex and cook him a nice meal?? just a thought

------------------------------------------------
"I'm going to Green Bay for Brett Favre straight up!" -- Manny Ramirez
Quote Reply
Re: Letter from an Ironman widow [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Post of the day!

I'd give it a 10 on the vomitous scale

Quote Reply

Prev Next