Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Inguinal hernia repair for 57 yo Ironman
Quote | Reply
I'm a 57 year old Ironman. At the 2008 Eagleman, I felt an abdominal "tug" at mile 8. This was the start of what turned out to be an inguinal hernia. There are many surgical treatment options. Does any one have personal experience with any specific type of surgury? What happens to training post-op? Thanks
Last edited by: dotmanreds: Jun 22, 08 18:16
Quote Reply
Re: Inguinal hernia repair for 57 yo Ironman [dotmanreds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had inguinal as well as sports hernia surgery in December. Took a good eight weeks of recovery. Now fully recovered and have the physiological drive of a twenty year-old; yet it is being wasted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went through it last year while preparing for IMFL. Due to the damage, I could not do arthroscopic. Worst part was trying to get into bed for the first 3 to 5 days. I started swimming 2 weeks after surgery. Couldn't really extend arms and stretch. Started biking on trainer several days later. Started running after 30 days. My surgery was first week of Sept. Couldn't do IMFL. Hasn't caused any trouble this year. Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had mine repaired via open surgery w/ mesh in Feb of this year - here is a link to my surgery report:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ry%20report;#1694848

I was swimming short distances about two and a half weeks after surgery, riding the trainer the week after that, and running at four weeks. I started walking short distances a few days after the surgery but very very slowly.

My surgeon told me nothing but walking for the first two weeks then anything I could tolerate (sans lifting anything over 15lbs) until around the six week mark.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one repaired with mesh in February of this year. Took a couple of weeks to get back to training well, and I still get the occasional nerve irritation, but overall it hasn't been too bad. I was racing again by May, and in June I even had a pretty good race!

I'm not 57 ... but I did get mistaken for a 50-54 year old at a race last summer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a repair (laparoscopic with mesh, both sides), a few months back. Recovery was pretty dramatic - every day a step-change difference from the one before. Back on a bike in a few weeks, skiing a month post-surgery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bilateral laparoscopic with mesh 5 weeks ago tomorrow. Inguinal/sports hernia depending on who you ask.

Had lots of swelling issues where guys don't want swelling for ~3 weeks afterwards (managed to take off work). Still a little tender and incisions are a little sore when stretched or bounced around.

Walking somewhat normally at 1 week. Light swimming at about 2.5 weeks. Light biking at 3 weeks. Brief half mile run at 4 weeks. Ramping up bike mileage now (2.5hr w/ hills yesterday) for upcoming events. Will pick up running in time for IMAZ in November :)

If you read the medical journals, the return to activity rates after repair are really really good. There's no way I could continue to train the way it was going before surgery. Almost ruined my entire season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Inguinal hernia repair for 57 yo Ironman [dpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Inguinal/sports hernia depending on who you ask."

You do know these are different, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Inguinal hernia repair for 57 yo Ironman [dpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did they operate on both sides at the same time? I was training for IMAZ and pooped out hernia on left side. I am 68.5 years young and this is my third hernia. 1988, 2005, 2011. I got operated Aug 10 and was planning on Air Force half marathon Sept 17 then Nov 20 God willing. I was concerned how my slow swim would impact my swim leg in IMAZ now I am not sure if recovery will come in time. I don't want to push it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my fourth one right now. I haven't gone to the doc yet because it hasn't really been a problem for me. I also haven't told my wife because that will be the end of my season on that day. It actually doesn't present itself unless I do some high effort short intervals on my bike or trainer. I haven't been doing tris for the last couple of years, just cycling. My first two repairs were traditional surgical repairs with mesh. The third was laparoscopic and no mesh. Not all inguinal hernias can be repaired with laparoscopy. You will need to consult a surgeon that specializes in hernia repairs to find out if yours is suitable.

As far as recovery time, seems like I remember the laparoscopic taking less time. In general, plan on having the mobility of a 100-year old man the first day and take 10 years off for each day thereafter. That sums up my experiences fairly well.

For reference, I am 54 YO and have had my three previous inguinal hernias over about 20 years.

Good luck.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ouch,
I'm 38. I had an inguinal hernia repair on Aug 1 via open incision. I took 48 vicoden over the six days per the surgeon recomendation. For the first afternoon and day 2 i did one every four hours, for day 3 thru 6 it was two per four hours. It worked out to five doses per day, as i woke at 5 due to the pain. I under estimated the recovery pain. I went to a surgeon checkup on day 8 and work on day 9 and it has been very difficult. It's painful and if you are like me you will be hoizonal for all of your waking hours for a week except to go to the toilet to pee, which was very painful. My first dump was on day 7, after the vicoden was stopped. I took stool softeners and milk of magnesia on day 4 thru 6. My bowels were adjusted by day 8, which was not pleasant. I feel a little better every day. Occasionally i have some odd shooting pain down the inside of my leg adjacent to the repair that almost makes me fall over when it happens, the pain from that lasts about four minutes, which is not pleasant. Today i was at work until four and i have been horizontal since arrival at home, with the exception of dinner, until right now at 8pm where i lay with my laptop.

I understand my story sounds bleak, maybe i'll make light of it in a few weeks.

Quote Reply
Re: Inguinal hernia repair for 57 yo Ironman [B-Dub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
52 years old, 2 on right one on left, repaired the same time via open surgery and mesh. Very swollen, very painful, for about 5 days, then dramatic improvement each day. Swam by 2 weeks, walked 3-5 miles by 3 weeks, ran and biked by 1 month. That was Oct. '09. Possibly have one going again on the left. Like someone above said, only presents itself after rides of longer then 50, but starting to feel it a bit at other times. It is what it is, carry on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah,
somewhere in that vicoden haze i scored deal on three bike tools that showed up today. After seeing the box i remembered i ordered something but couldn't remember what sweet deal i got. D-hanger alignment tool, new cassette tool and something else i can't remember, and i dont want ot get up to see what it is. i'll wait until i have to pee.

Quote Reply
Re: Inguinal hernia repair for 57 yo Ironman [RocketShoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just checked your write up. Very nice, and very similar to my experience (read a few entries up). Your pictures of wood splitting has provided me a nice glimmer of hope. Maybe there is light at the end of this tunnel. Thank you. I see on the blog you got rid of the goat beard combo, great job.

Quote Reply
Re: Inguinal hernia repair for 57 yo Ironman [Tone Deaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My hernia would act up usually after a longer than 50 mile bike rides too. Once in awhile after a 5K would agrivate the hernia too. I debated for a long time whether to get the hernia fixed before the Ironman since it may mess up my training but at 68 years young I didn't want to take a chance that the hernia would act up worse when I was out on a long ride or even worse, during the IMAZ. I can always try Ironman at a later time if it messes up my training.
Quote Reply
Re: Inguinal hernia repair for 57 yo Ironman [Tone Deaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about walking after a scope hernia repair? I have heard running and swimming usually take about 3 weeks but how about easy walking? Right now all I can do on day 2 of recovery is walk around the house for eating, bathroom breaks etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read about this guy who healed himself and went to race Roth and other Ironman races. His mates on the other hand have had some post op pain, etc. So do your research first and figure out if that is the way you want to go. http://www.groin-hernia.com/herniabible/roy.html Good luck. I really think it can be done without surgery intervention if it is not a big hernia and causes no pain. I am not giving you any advice, just a different way to look at this.

USAT L2 TriAUS L2 UC Irvine head coach "The human foot is a masterpiece of engineering and a work of art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Quote Reply