Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rode the CDA course yesterday...
Quote | Reply
I came out with a friend for a 3 day training camp in CDA. Our plan was to do a few days of big rides and a 3rd day on the run course on tired legs. Yesterday was my first ride on the course. We had to cut our ride yesterday a bit short (70 miles) because it was POURING rain and we were both freezing. We had also both flatted twice (the roads were a mess from construction / lots of rain) and were out of supplies.

I have had a solid training season with a good amount of climbing, etc. Here are some observations.
  • The first out and back was a bit longer than I thought and the little climb at the end that you go over and then back over is a little stinger. It seems like it would be easy to hit that too hard coming out of t1.
  • The ride back to town is flat and fast.
  • Be careful at the sharp right hand turn to go north. It's more than 90 degrees and your are cooking through town.
  • The "out" of the northern loop is generally pretty flat and should be a good place to pick up some speed / time. The profile shows it as going uphill but it didn't feel like it.
  • Once you get into the harder section of the course, the rollers start right away. All that you have heard is true, you are generally either going up or down for the next 15 miles. I would highly recommend driving the course if you cant ride it just to get a sense for how long you'll be out there. It's one of those courses that could get to you mentally as the "little" hills just keep going. I got a bit north / south disoriented at some points because it also turns a lot. My mental notes from this section include: keep eating, especially on the downhills. Make sure to keep momentum going into the hills and don't rest over the crests as there are many hills with false summits. Covet speed on the downhills, stay aero as long as possible. Be attentive to sharp turns, try to take the turns in a line that allows for minimum / no braking. There are some steep little pitches that are short, but don't get caught in the big ring. I did lots of big ring - small ring shifts. Good shifting will be important - NO dropped chains. Generally, I think the key to the hilly section is just being technically sound. Also, don't spike power on the little stingers. Without looking down, I was pushing 375w several times without knowing it. (My race day cap will be 290ish). Don't loose time from being in the wrong gear, not eating, or loosing speed unnecessarily.
  • The ride back to town will be fast also, although not as "downhill" as I thought. Make sure to save some bike ride gas to be able to push this on loop 2. You won't be free wheeling the whole way.

That's it for now. We are headed out to do 3 of the hilly loops today. I'll try and post some run course thoughts after Friday morning.

Cheers
Last edited by: josherdog: Dec 5, 10 18:40
Quote Reply
Re: Rode the CDA course yesterday... [josherdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the G2. Out of curiosity, where are you doing most of your training - specifically your climbing?
Quote Reply
Re: Rode the CDA course yesterday... [jackbauer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In and around Boulder. All the normal stuff Lefthand / Jamestown / Peak to Peak. Also, laps on the morgul bismark with an NCAR kicker seem to be a good CDA simulation.

That said, CDA also calls for you to be able to stick your nose down and push a flat for a while. I probably need to sharpen that a bit in the next few weeks before taper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious, Josher, what is your ideal average wattage for raceday? Time goal?

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Re: Rode the CDA course yesterday... [Epiclesis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I try and stay away from bike time goals (my coach would be so proud...) and just stick to watts and let the time fall where it does. I'll be trying to push right at 220 on the flats on loop 1 and then 225ish on loop 2. Then on the shorter hills 270 to 290 MAX. My FTP is 300ish.

My guess is, with all that my real average for the ride will be around 210.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats for not going with a time/speed goal.

Now, how fast will that get you home?

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really not sure, maybe something like 5.25ish if conditions are right...

I am a bigger rider (race day weight = 175) so i have more to hall up those hills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great input.. Has anyone done IM louisville last year and IMCDA for bike course comparison?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's the best description of the bike course that I've read. Spot on.

Good luck!

:-)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm really not sure, maybe something like 5.25ish if conditions are right...

I am a bigger rider (race day weight = 175) so i have more to hall up those hills.
That's probably a good guess. A friend of mine went 5:21 averaging about 220w. He's probably around 170ish

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year it was cold and there was a decent headwind all the way home so times are probably off. I'd be suprised if you're not home sooner than that pushing 220.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Psychologically I loved the course last year. It goes by fast. by the time you do the out and back the second time and go thru town your at like mile 70 and you think...only 40 miles left. I thought it went by real quick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm getting psyched now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very good description. It was my first IM and I like the new course a lot. "Little stingers" are a good way to describe the dozen hills on miles 25-40 of the loop. Last year the light winds helped a bit too: They were from the south so helped push us up the hills a bit but were just barely a hinderance as we headed south into town (Maybe slowed us down 1 mph for the last 10-15 miles of each loop) ... I also like all the breaks (corners, hills) from the aero position, too. Even the strongest riders only need to be aero 95 % of the time, not 99 percent (IMO).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like the variety of this course. Mentally you can really break it up into chunks. First phase is along the lake and mostly flat. Next thing you know you are going back through town. And then you get the variety of the rolling hills heading out to Hayden Lake. And once you are really tired of the rollers you are heading back into town with a nice stretch of mostly flat terrain and beginning the second lap.

Much easier mentally then Florida in my opinion which is basically 112 miles of the same terrain and same scenery and I have to say one of the most boring rides I have ever been through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We did hayden lake loops today and I AM COOKED!

One funny observation.......it seemed like every 3rd house had a "Ron Paul for President" sign...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this!
Mitch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's up with all the turns!!!!

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are lots of turns. Some come at the end of a climb so those are kind of negated because you cant take speed into them anyway. Others, you need to take lines so that you don't need to brake. There is one big right-hander in the loop that you come into with lots of speed that I had to brake every time. On race day, with the road closed you migth be able to take it. I think it's the one between lakeview and english point.

Also, being able to turn in aero position helps too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know they changed the course last year. But in 2006 one of the things that frustrated me was on a lot of the downhills there were hard turns, a lot of times you couldn't just fly down the hills - on one corner it was all I could do to stay on the road. A few riders didn't and ended up in a ditch...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the bike (and run) review. This is my first IM, and since my company transferred me to Australia, I've been getting really nervous because I train alone all the time. They are heading into their offseason so there are no practice races to test my ability. However, Sydney is extremely hilly (think San Fran), so with your description I have a little more confidence that my geography might pay off.

The run sounds fantastic!!

I can't tell if I'm nervous or excited. Maybe a little of both, but I doubt I'll be able to sleep once the calendar flips to June.

Keep Tri-ing

To a point, we all care what people think. And those that say: "I don't care what people think", usually care the most.
Quote Reply
Re: Rode the CDA course yesterday... [dmorella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow what a great thread.

Anyone do this race this year and have a power meter? If so could you post your avg watts, normalized power, weight and time?

Thanks!

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Rode the CDA course yesterday... [npearson99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6'0" and 160lbs

Entire workout (206 watts):

Duration: 5:22:51
Work: 3980 kJ
TSS: 256 (intensity factor 0.691)
Norm Power: 214