Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

53 or 54 tooth chainring on 110 BCD
Quote | Reply
So, I got into cycling a bout 9 months ago. My bike came with a triple ring up front. I switched to a compact crank shortly thereafter. I've been getting stronger and don't need the low low gear ratio. Plus I am doing more triathlons and wish to have 2 bikes for the different diciplines. I recently purchased a TT frame (08' Cannondale Slice) and wish to keep the crank and put larger rings on it and move the crank to this new frame - 53 or 54 outer and 39-42 inner. Which companies have these rings available? I'm sure this has been done before...

Eric
Quote Reply
Re: 53 or 54 tooth chainring on 110 BCD [ericstevens73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using 52/38. I think they are "Vuelta" from my local shop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was actually hoping for a larger combination... It seems TA has a line of 110 prducts. Anyone know anything about them. Also Sugino???

Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano used to make a 54t chainring in 110mm B.C.D. for tandem use. I'm not sure if they still do, but I'm sure there are sources for it.

Sugino makes them as well:

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: 53 or 54 tooth chainring on 110 BCD [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Shimano used to make a 54t chainring in 110mm B.C.D. for tandem use. I'm not sure if they still do, but I'm sure there are sources for it.

I run a 54/42 chain ring set-up on my TT bike. I purchased the Zipp 300 cranks and switched those chain rings out and put on the Shimano Dura-Ace 54/42 tri rings. Easy to do, just make sure your BCD is matching up correctly. You should be able to order the DA TT rings thru your LBS with little problem. DA has them as a 42/54, 42/55, and 44/56 which, according to the book, give the best shifting matching up with the least shifting problems.

Hope that helps.

Kevin S.
www.roarkcycle.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Kevin...
Quote Reply
Re: 53 or 54 tooth chainring on 110 BCD [Kevin S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I run a 54/42 chain ring set-up on my TT bike. I purchased the Zipp 300 cranks and switched those chain rings out and put on the Shimano Dura-Ace 54/42 tri rings. Easy to do, just make sure your BCD is matching up correctly. You should be able to order the DA TT rings thru your LBS with little problem. DA has them as a 42/54, 42/55, and 44/56 which, according to the book, give the best shifting matching up with the least shifting problems.

Hope that helps.

Kevin S.
www.roarkcycle.com

Kevin, he asked about 110mm BCD, your information while accurate (130mm BCD Dura Ace chainrings do fit a 130mm Zipp 300 crankset) isn't partiularly helpful for the OP, in fact his response seems to incidate that he feels your advice somehow solves his problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dura Ace is all 130 for now though...
Quote Reply
Re: 53 or 54 tooth chainring on 110 BCD [android] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I should clarify my response when saying "thanks Kevin"... No, his reply does not solve my dilemma. However, the shifting information regarding the tooth combinations is helpful. Though fairly common knowledge...

Eric
Quote Reply
Re: 53 or 54 tooth chainring on 110 BCD [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Hope that helps.

Kevin S.
www.roarkcycle.com

Kevin, he asked about 110mm BCD, your information while accurate (130mm BCD Dura Ace chainrings do fit a 130mm Zipp 300 crankset) isn't partiularly helpful for the OP, in fact his response seems to incidate that he feels your advice somehow solves his problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I guess I should clarify my response when saying "thanks Kevin"... No, his reply does not solve my dilemma. However, the shifting information regarding the tooth combinations is helpful. Though fairly common knowledge...

Eric

True about being fairly common knowledge. But, so is using ones turn signal when driving.

It is helpful and fairly common knowledge that it is to be used, but still, we must be reminded to use it.

I personally took the "Thanks Kevin" as just that, someone thanking me for taking time to at least answer a question, though slightly off the mark.

Kevin S.
www.roarkcycle.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool... And yes, you may take it as such. Not meaning to take away from the intent. I've spoken with my LBS owner and it appears as if I will be able to put this together - may have to combine brands, inner/outer, but I don't care about that - just that it'll work. Thanks everyone for your input.

Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eric,

On my original set-up with the Zipp cranks and DA it went really well and I have enjoyed it.

I was also looking to get the new Vumaquad cranks and do the same set-up. But, Zipp changed the BCD and went from a 5 arm to a 4 arm spider set-up. I inturn had to do my research and ask a few questions to see if it would work (putting different chain rings on the cranks). I elected to stay with my current crank set-up after seeing what was and was not available. In the end, I decided if it's not broke, don't try and fix it.

Kevin S.
www.roarkcycle.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you are running 650 wheels( are you?), can I ask why you would need a 54 outer up front? For triathlon useage I am wondering why the need for such a big gear option with the front Chain ring. My guess is that unless you are close to Fabian Cancellara in power out-put you are going to be running the chain crossed up an aweful lot or not using the 54 at all or on a VERY limited basis.

Personally I run a 52/39 on the front, and I find that for the range of usage that I use and the type of ruding that I do this is ideal. When I am in the big ring(52) for most of the time the chain is on the middle cogs in the back and running in a straight chain line.

Of course, your milage may vary! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 53 or 54 tooth chainring on 110 BCD [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see your point here Steve... The fact is, I doubt my power output is anywhere near what it should be to need a 54 tooth up front. That said, I have been running a 12-27 10speed rear with a 53/39 front which goes to show that I'm not all that strong yet. I really just want the ability to go that direction when the time calls for it. I will probably just run the current chain rings for the remainder of this year and move to an 11-23 rear and see how that works out for me. This will be a dedicated tt/tri bike with training and racing the only riding it will see.

It's my feeling that with more and more people going with compact cranks there should be someone out there making an adapter to run the larger chain ring sizes while using the compact cranks' 110 bcd set up. It would give a huge variety of uses to one crankset. Hey there's and idea for the inventor out there... Or maybe not, and I'm just peeing into the wind!

Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went from standard (53/39) to CT (50/34-36) to modified CT (52/38) over the years.

In an 81 degree angle on a 50/34, I thought it was great. I borrowed a bike for a race, dialed in my fit and payed no attention to the cranks. Did the race, bike split felt easier and a much smoother cadence. After the race I checked the cranks and they were 2.5mm shorter and CTs!

I thought great CTs 4 life now.. Slapped them on my roadie 6 months later and noticed a deadspot in my pedal stroke. Upgraded to 52/38 chainrings and found that sweet spot again.

I would suggest trying 52/38, the cassette was negligible for me at least. I ran a 50/34 with an 11/23 then turning to a 52/38 with a 12/25 and felt more power with the later. FSA 52/38 Super Road Chainrings is what I used.

Good luck, Keau
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i am going to be trying out the specialites ta stuff later on this year. if you get them before i do, please feel free to post your report on them.

granted, the fsa rings are probably cheaper/more widely available.
Quote Reply
Re: 53 or 54 tooth chainring on 110 BCD [tegra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the TA rings are elegant, and quite nice. several clicks above the somewhat crude and perhaps even vile-by-comparison FSA's.
Quote Reply
Re: 53 or 54 tooth chainring on 110 BCD [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with if it ain't broke don't fix it. As I have had some riding compatriots mention, why not try out what I have already and then go from there. As my fintess increases there will probably be many changes made, but to cross those bridges when they come. I almost certainly will go with the TA rings as they are, per reviews and local acclaim, the way to go. I will let you all know when that time comes... Knowing me it will be soon, as I can never wait to get the next new thing. I don't even have this bike built yet and I'm already planning the next one! This is why my wife thinks the bikes are silly... Why can't I just be happy with what I have? I told her it's like having a truck, a car, and a 2 up sports car. They are all very different even though they all do pretty much the same thing, get you from point a to point b.

Eric
Quote Reply
Re: 53 or 54 tooth chainring on 110 BCD [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that you mention it, I did forget to state that the buttery feeling I had with campy chainrings was lost when uping the tooth count via FSA.
Quote Reply