Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cut on the bottom of foot - healing tips?
Quote | Reply
I got about a 3" cut/gash on the bottom of my foot from a chunk of concrete exiting the swim yesterday (my fault for trying to stand up to early). Anyone dealt with something similar on the bottom of your food and have tips for a quicker closure? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Cut on the bottom of foot - healing tips? [AR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super glue.

Make sure it's clean (but don't traumatize it) and super-glue it shut.

Walk carefully for a while.

Also, consider a tetanus shot. I had to get one after cutting my foot
at Nathan's last year.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar experience about 4 years ago it wasn't 3" but the doc said he would have put stitches in it had I came in right when it happened. (It happened at night. I came in the next day, had it cleaned up and got a tetanus shot). I took a couple days off but was able to continue biking while it healed. I was able to run a duathlon 2 weeks after the cut, although it was still a little tender.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you see a doc? That would be my advice.

Depends a bit on what it looks like and where it is but foot lacerations are a pain. They have a higher rate of infection - walking on them tends to open them up - hot/sweaty shoes are bad.....they can take a long time to heal. Sorry.

Doubt you could or should superglue it. Over the counter super glues have all sort of nasty things in them (formaldehydes...) and you should not get any inside the cut. When doctors "superglue" - they superglue the outside skin together so the wound has to be easy to pinch close so that you can glue it. Its rare to be able to superglue a foot - and it would not hold well at all (thick skin/sweat/walking....).

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best way to heal fast? Good, layered closure and stay off. Simple as that. Plantar foot skin lacerations typically take about 3 weeks to heal though (slowest skin on the body to heal). 5 days on the face. 7-10 days trunk. 2 weeks on top of the foot, etc.

Bummer. Probably should get a tetanus toxoid booster, although I haven't heard of a case of Clostridium tetani in .... well, not in a LONG time!

Quote | Reply
I had a cut on my foot from glass that was on the floor at the Y. It took YEARS for it to heal as my swimming and running would just keep it open. Finally a buddy got me a script for Regranex and it was closed very rapidly. Cut was about 2" behind my pinky toe towards the outward side...right where the foot flexes.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you current on Tetnus? If not, get one. Then make sure it's cleaned out well, stay off it for a day or two...the superglue it and go on with your life.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got a cut on the bottom of my foot right before my first race last year. Like others said you might need a tetnus shot but I used Nuskin (super glue) it worked like a charm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips so far. I did not see a doctor, however I did see the EMS guys after the race -- they didn't bat an eye "Want some peroxide and a band-aid on it?" "Uhh, yeah sure"

Superglue eh? I tend to use a 2-part epoxy for all my gluing needs....what do you think....just fill it right in? :)

Tetanus - I *think* I got that taken care of a year ago when I dropped the knife on the top of my foot.

I know I'm off it for a while, but hopefully it'll come together well enough by next Thursday (5K), Sat (5K), Sun (OLY)? Maybe? :-\

And for those interested in the gore (ahem, rroof :), you can find a pic here: http://images35.fotki.com/...5829/IMG_3311-vi.jpg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has to be at least 10 minute epoxy. That 5 minute stuff just won't do. :)

I seem to recall reading that tetanus is supposed to be every 10 years, but if you've "used it" they
recommend every 5 years. I also seem to recall last year there was a study saying the
efficacy of tetanus is far better than those numbers.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh hell, that is not even through the dermis (looks like epidermis only). No exposed plantar fascia or intrinsic musculature. I was hoping for more :0

Suck it up princess! ;-) Seriously, keep it clean - moleskin plus or similar for your 5K and good to go. Shouldn't even scar if you aren't through the dermis.

Quote | Reply
'New Skin' liquid bandaid stuff. it seals the cut (kind of like super glue. never used super glue myself, though) and acts as an anti-septic. comes in a small bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
throw some duct tape on it and go race. That is nothing
Quote Reply
Re: Cut on the bottom of foot - healing tips? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to let everyone down, especially Rod, with the picture of my 'scratch' :-) I guess if I biked 40K and ran a 10K with it as is, a couple 5K's should be no problem!? Sure hurts like a b*$&% though....I've got a pretty ridiculous limp going on.
Quote Reply