Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Shaving Your Chest (men only...hopefully :o))
Quote | Reply
Last summer I did a race where one of the guys that I met had shaved his chest. Then last week I met a guy at the pool how had also shaved his chest. Am I missing something here?

Why are the doing this? Is it because a shaved packaged does not look right with a hairy chest? (I may be spending too much time on ST)
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Your Chest (men only...hopefully :o)) [Whitenose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The main reason for triathletes to shave their legs is vanity. A chest is no different. So shave away!

--
"Rock and roll, dude." -- Dave Z., on winning TTs in all 3 Grand Tours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why are the doing this? Is it because a shaved packaged does not look right with a hairy chest? (I may be spending too much time on ST)
Dude. I swam competitively for 17+ years and I NEVER shaved the package.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what are you doing looking at their packages???

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Your Chest (men only...hopefully :o)) [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not looking, but rather am referring to someone on ST who uses the tag line "that a shaved package does not look right without shaved legs" I don't recall who they are. But I would expect that they'll show up any day now.

I ask again. Why do those of you who shave your chest do it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just like guywithabike says: vanity. I decided not to shave my chest, nor my arms this year. Arms get really itchy and the hair grows back weird. Chest always gets razor burn, which negates any cool factor that the lack of hair brings. My fiance likes my chest hair, anyway. I'm definitely going to continue shaving my legs and using fake tanner on them before races. But only on my legs. I know, it's weird, but at least I don't shave my chest anymore, right?

"Wichtig ist, dass man nicht aufhört zu fragen." -Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd never shave my bushy 3 chest hairs! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're gonna do it, waxing is the only way to go. I visit the salon once a month and that's it. Shaving and the rest is far too much maintenance.

For you info the following reasons have been put forward here on ST (and by the way we're quite late into the season for the first shaving post of the year).
These reason are in no particular order (except #1)
Some of these reasons may not be definitively true (#6 and #9), but they have been argued as reason for.

1. Chicks dig it
2. You feel like an athlete
3. Easier for massages
4. Avoid potential pain exiting wetsuits (and zipping up tri suits)
5. Road rash (heals quicker and lessens risk of infection)
6. It's faster aerodynamically (and hydrodynamically for non wetsuit swims.... assuming you're not wearing a speedsuit)
7. Dry quicker after a shower
8. You get less caked in sweat and goo during a long race
9. Your body dissipates heat quicker during a race
10. The pros do it
11. Most other Age Groupers do it
12. Having done it, I prefer it myself aesthetically

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TriRaceBook.com
Hawaii Qualification Analysis
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Your Chest (men only...hopefully :o)) [Gandalf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how often do people get chest massages? :P

some chicks seem to like the hairy chest...
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Your Chest (men only...hopefully :o)) [guywithabike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not so true. I live in a very warm climate and I take off all hair from legs, arms and chest specifically as a heat regulation measure (always did legs based on vanity reasons). It is so successful that I have to wear a T shirt under my normal work clothes as I get very very cold since starting it in the air conditioning. I train with one guy who does it prior to race day for chaffing issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Your Chest (men only...hopefully :o)) [guywithabike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The main reason for triathletes to shave their legs is vanity. A chest is no different. So shave away!

Ever gone down in a crash and had the medical staff wratp your wonded legs in bandages and tape?????? didn't think so, other wise you would have never said that.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Your Chest (men only...hopefully :o)) [IRONLOBO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ever let the leg hair grow out...then go for a bike ride? Awful ...just plain awful....You feel like a Woolly Mammoth!
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Your Chest (men only...hopefully :o)) [IRONLOBO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LIES! ALL LIES!

(Serious answer, yes, and that's why I started shaving. Suprise! But as a triathlete, I do almost all of riding by myself and I haven't crashed and burned in over two years now. I keep shaving, though, for two primary reasons: 1. Easy to clean, add sunscreen, lotion to skin dried out by the pool, etc. and 2. Vanity! :)

--
"Rock and roll, dude." -- Dave Z., on winning TTs in all 3 Grand Tours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't shave my legs, but I do shave my chest. For me it's a heat control thing since I do sweat a lot. I use a barbers kit and take it down to a #2. It does not itch and I only have to do it every 8 weeks or so. I know quite a few guys who do this as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what I started shaving/trimming and why...

Chest - It started growing in weirdly and patchy so I shaved it and just kept up with it because it itches when it comes back in. Also aerodynamics

Armpits - Chaffed something awful when I started swimming again

Legs - Right before my first triathlon and I've kept it up since.

"Down there" - For Caffage reasons and otherwise it looks like a jungle down there...no good.

I don't shave my arms because my arm hair is really thin... but if I was a hardcore swimmer in a big meet... then I'd shave my arms.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Your Chest (men only...hopefully :o)) [Ray G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
me too..
don't shave it but take it down to a no.2 with a trimmer.
why do it do it?.. vanity and also it feels nicer

i do shave my legs.. i used to get regular massages and the pain difference between shaved and not shaved was huge.
but now i just do it for the healing (i do fall off regularly - dutch tram lines), and makes me feel more like an athlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't speak for those guys, but I shave my chest because the hair on my chest doesn't grow in fully...it's patchy. I don't like it, so if I can't look like Magnum PI, then I'd rather have a freshly shaven chest.

Vanity.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Your Chest (men only...hopefully :o)) [Ray G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't shave my legs, but I do shave my chest. For me it's a heat control thing since I do sweat a lot. I use a barbers kit and take it down to a #2. It does not itch and I only have to do it every 8 weeks or so. I know quite a few guys who do this as well.
My dad does that too. Takes all his body hair down short with a trimmer, for heat reasons.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess a better question is how weird does the guy look with the hairy boxer shorts if he shaves his chest and legs but not the nether regions or the a$$? (never shave the a$$ - do a search here and you will find out why)

I shave the legs in the summer and keep the chest trimmed down a little ala Ferris - he's my hero ;-)

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only time I have ever shaved my chest is for Masters State meet last year. I'll be doing it again in about 3 weeks.

Does it make me swim faster, I don't know for sure but I set 6 PR's at that time.

I allways keep my legs and pits shaved. It's just simple maintenance now.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Your Chest (men only...hopefully :o)) [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that you in the center, Tom?

Funny picture :)

Btw, I tried waxing my back a month ago, and would not recommend that very much at all! I broke out within 48 hours and the little hair I have was back in two weeks! I wouldn't think that waxing would feel too good on the legs, especially when shaving is painless.
Last edited by: Willrace4food: Mar 31, 08 10:04
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Your Chest (men only...hopefully :o)) [Willrace4food] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im lucky I dont have to think abou this but it isnt going to help you swim faster.

C Brown

What can Brown do for you?
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Your Chest (men only...hopefully :o)) [Willrace4food] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
especially when shaving is painless.
You've never whacked a chunk out of your ankle or the back of your knee, have you? Add to that the nice little zing when you jump in a chlorinated pool with fresh shaving cuts...

John

Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Your Chest (men only...hopefully :o)) [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
especially when shaving is painless.
You've never whacked a chunk out of your ankle or the back of your knee, have you? Add to that the nice little zing when you jump in a chlorinated pool with fresh shaving cuts...

John
No John, I have not done that. I have crashed my road and mtn. bikes more times than I care to recount since last year, making the leg shaving important!
Quote Reply

Prev Next