Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
hot weather running hat/no hat?
Quote | Reply
If it's close to 90 and about the same % humidity, is it better to run with a hat to protect my scalp and face from the sun or am I trapping too much heat under my hat to do any good?

This would be for moderate paced runs of about 40-45 min wearing a running hat kept wet with a water bottle.

thanks in advance

Barry

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: hot weather running hat/no hat? [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd wear a hat. During a race if ice is available, I'll fill my hat w/ as much of it as possible. I currently am using a Nike Sphere hat.

Nsxdan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The real answer is to do what feels comfortable for you.

My answer would be to forget about the hat, and if you're worried about the sun, use sunscreen. You don't need to be carrying a water bottle for a 45:00 run.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
running hat

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go with the hat, it's so humid there will be little cooling from sweat anyway. The Army did plenty of testing with dehydration and the part I remember most is wearing a shirt. They concluded that you should always keep a shirt on.
Quote Reply
Re: hot weather running hat/no hat? [marko16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, serious question: Are people really concerned with overheating and/or dehydrating on a moderate 45:00 run?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear a running hat. Just my personal preference though.

jimmyk
Quote Reply
Re: hot weather running hat/no hat? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always wear a hat. I also always run with water - even if I'm only doing 3 miles. I sweat *a lot* and I find I need the water even if it's only after my warmup and during the cooldown. For a 45 minute run, I probably drink two or three times through that run, especially when it's hot. Perhaps I don't really need the water and it's just psychological, but so what!

D.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Are people really concerned with overheating and/or dehydrating on a moderate 45:00 run?"

Let's put it this way: I notice you're from Idaho. Try running in Florida's heat and humidity! I cope with the heat better than most, but it is very difficult to keep my heart rate in an endurance or recovery zone running under these conditions.

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Re: hot weather running hat/no hat? [jimmyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the sun is out, I always wear a hat, but my main purpose is to shield my forehead from the sun. I do not put sunscreen on my forhead because when I sweat it drips into my eyes and stings like hell.

I have often wondered whether I keep too much heat in by wearing a hat. Not to cool via sweating, but just to let the heat "out". You lose a very large amount of body heat through your head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I should have noted that I sweat profusely. I can lose 3-4 lbs. in an hour when the temp., like today, is 90 with 85-90% humidity. I wasn't sure if by covering my head I was doing more good than bad.

thanks, and if the army says so, then I guess I'll keep my hat and shirt on.

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started running with a hat about 4 weeks ago and found it to be cooler while wearing it, even over 90 degrees.

It seems to wick up the sweat and let it evaporate on top rather that run down my face and into my eyes.

I use a white Mizuno running hat

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never wear a hat in hot/warm weather unless it's raining. A hat just overheats me. My husband, on the other hand, has lots of very dark hair. He wears a white hat because he says it's cooler than the sun on his hair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never worn in a hat in my life. Got this big mop of longish thick hair even at my age that seems to protect my scalp fine. If I didn't have such hair sun burn would likely be an issue.

My wife wears this thing that's like a beek with a strap around it. Sort of looks like a captain's hat with the hat part cut out. It protects her face from the sun but it is fully open at the top. It's quite light and not hot. Would be a good compromise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please wear a hat! I've been having irregular patches removed off my scalp and face for years because of overexposure, counting the days between biopsy and results praying it's not skin cancer. You DON'T want skin cancer, trust me!!!

Lather up with sunscreen and put your hat on. I use one that has fabric on the center section where I have a bald spot and mesh on the sides.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try it, see what happens. I find it keeps the sweat out of my eyes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I run in the heat I wear a hat to catch the sweat so it doesn't drip in my face.

I don't carry water with me since it wouldn't empty from my stomach fast enough, but on a 45 minute run, if I am running hard, I can and often do lose 5-6 lbs (almost 3%-4% of my body weight) and if it is 92 degrees, with a heat index of 98 overheating is a real concern. It must be nice to live in a cool climate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear a white DeSoto running hat. It's solid on top, thus shielding my bald(ing) skull, but with generous holes in the side mesh for ventilation of the not-badly balding sides. The brim is some sort of plastic under the fabric, so repeated water dousings don't equate to a saturated brim. The inner side lining is NOT Headsweats material, which I find just gets saturated and makes the cap feel heavier. I'll use Headsweats caps for regular wear, but never for serious running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use the hat!

When it's hot and I'm running under intense sun without an hat it seems like the sun is stronguer and my eyes are half-shut so I'm can't really concentrated on the race. So use the hat, and don't be so worried about overheating!! When you use a hat and sweat, the hat will stay wet during the ride and that will be so confortable you will only have to concentrate on the race.

Even when i'm going for a pre-race run of 20min, I use it! :-)

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Re: hot weather running hat/no hat? [burgerdp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't live in a particularly cool climate. Until yesterday, temps were around 100. I guess this must vary from person to person, or maybe it's just a question of acclimating to the heat, but I have never come near overheating on a 45 minute run. And while I agree that you can lose quite a bit of water in 45 minutes, I just don't think it's necesarry to carry a water bottle for a run that short. Hydrate before you go, rehydrate when you get back.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, here in Florida, I don't run more than a half hour most of the year without water. There is just no reason to dehydrate yourself.

In 10K race, which I do in 45 minutes on a really good day, I will grab a little water around mile three and slow my pace enough to get it down.
Quote Reply
Re: hot weather running hat/no hat? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"My wife wears this thing that's like a beek with a strap around it. Sort of looks like a captain's hat with the hat part cut out."

Isn't that called a visor?;)
Quote Reply
Re: hot weather running hat/no hat? [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Isn't that called a visor?;) "

Thanks. That's the word I was looking for. Duh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was 102 and humid in Dallas last night with a heat index over 115...I drank 16 ounces of gatorade during an hour run and could of used some more. I wore a hat with built in sweat band to keep it out of my eyes
Quote Reply
Re: hot weather running hat/no hat? [Jeff_Mdot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you think would have happened if you didn't drink anything for the hour?

Quote Reply

Prev Next