Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

aero helmet: rudy project vs. spiuk?
Quote | Reply
I am looking for an aero helmet which vents well in hot weather. I have read that the Rudy Project Scion has good ventilation; however it does not cover the ears. The Spiuk Kronos looks more appealing from an aero standpoint, but does it vent well? Also, could I wear my Oakley Half Jackets with the Spiuk? Any thoughts from those of you that own one of these two helmets would be appreciated. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: aero helmet: rudy project vs. spiuk? [rogstl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if heat is your main concern, Rudy all the way, most any sunglasses work with it.

Joey G.

http://talesofthemissing.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used both and I've settled on the Spiuk for a few reasons:
  • It was the easiest to put on and take off quickly.
  • It was the most comfortable (on me).
  • Of the aero helmets we weighed (see link at end of this post) it was the lightest.
  • Even a cursory glance suggests it is the most aero due to the fully enclosed tail fairing- a big "rule" of aerodynamics is no meaningless shapes or sharp edges. The Spiuk is very smooth.
  • Having worn both in very warm (88 degree fahrenheit) weather and having worn the Spiuk at full Ironman distance I like that better- it is plenty cool enough.

Here's a link to an examination of aero helmets we did last year that includes both the Spiuk and the Rudy Project as well as some other popular alternatives:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/...es/aero_helmet.shtml

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Rudy Project Syton doesn't have the ear flaps so it is going to start off having better ventilation, unless you get the supercomp with the removable ear flaps. From a top of the helmet perspective it only has two small openings, so I would think that it's ventilation from that standpoint isn't any better, if not worse than other aero helmets. I was looking at the Giro Advantage 2 the other day and it had 4 narrow, but long slits for ventilation and if my memory is functional this afternoon, I believe that is one of the most aero helmets I have seen. I have no practical experience with an other helmet then the Syton Supercomp(with the ventilation holes closed) and have not had any issues with overheating.....Can always check it out at Big Shark.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've raced with both of those helmets you are considering, including some really hot Ironmans. I felt that the Spiuk actually held less heat, but my Rudy Project had the optional visor so it may not have been the must accurate conclusion. The main reason I wanted to post a reply is to let you know that I have tried wearing Oakley Half-jackets with a Spiuk helmet, and it definitely did NOT work for me. Instead, I wear a pair of narrower, Spiuk sunglasses and they work great.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: aero helmet: rudy project vs. spiuk? [paul925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought the spiuk and my half jackets work fine. All depends on the size of your head and how much it fills out the helmet. I felt spiuk was more comfortable and easier to put on also.
Quote Reply
Re: aero helmet: rudy project vs. spiuk? [tritex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I must have a large head, I guess :-) I'm glad to hear the Spiuk/Oakley combo can work for some people. It's definitely a great helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own a Spiuk and do 90% of my racing here in South Florida where it gets "Africa hot." Never had any issues with overheating. The helmet is really light.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also use the Spiuk and Oakley Flak Jackets. They are a little tight, but fit just so. Definitely no heat issues at all.

Re: aero helmet: rudy project vs. spiuk? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why no love for the LAS chrono?
Quote Reply