Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Keyser_Soze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
OK - pretty good swag from CSC...but I think an "epic" story like this one deserves a little more! This is becoming ST legend for god sake. With 42000+ views...someone out there has got to hook this guy up with a new set of 404's! Weather it be straight from Zipp or a "pro discount"...something better needs to come of this. Let's put an "story book" ending to this.

I'm in agreement with Katy.

The guy who is out a zipp wheel is Bobby Julich, not Hank. Hank lent his wheel and got it back, along with some CSC memorabilia. He still has the broken julich wheel, from which he could still use the cassette and the valve extender, if he ever needs one. It was a good deed and it was rewarded in good measure to the deed. If Bobby J trashed the hank-wheel, sure, it needs to be replaced with a new one...but he didn't..it wasn't. It's a fine story, and say thanks to the bobby J. for the extra stuff.

Paul

ErgVideo.com
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Paul Smeulders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i personaly agree with myself and that is that it seems kinda weak for csc to only send back Hanks' wheel. they are a world renowned pro cycling team and Hank helped the entire team out (and not to mention was put out for the day) and all they did was send him his wheel back and with the normal stuff that is tossed out at rallies and such? not cool in my opinion, he deserves a lot more and I'd be willing to send money for a new wheelset for Hank seeing as how csc are too cheap and inconsiderate to do so and they get them for free. good gawd, I was almost ready to join their fanclub but am now afraid of what my $60 to join would get me, i'm thinking a pushpin if I were to be lucky.

----------------------------------
Do three things. Do them well.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Sir Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even protour teams aren't exactly made of money you know, especially in the current climate. They don't get unlimited free wheels either. The OP is happy with what he got and he's the only one who really matters in all this. Why exactly do you think he needs a new wheelset? Ultimately he lent someone a wheel for god's sake...maybe next time I lend someone a wheel you can start a collection to get me some new zipps...

Story of the year so far plus some signed swag plus the busted zipp plus a chat with bobby j plus his wheel back doesn't seem to be quite the kick in the teeth you're making it out to be.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Even protour teams aren't exactly made of money you know, especially in the current climate. They don't get unlimited free wheels either. The OP is happy with what he got and he's the only one who really matters in all this. Why exactly do you think he needs a new wheelset? Ultimately he lent someone a wheel for god's sake...maybe next time I lend someone a wheel you can start a collection to get me some new zipps...

Story of the year so far plus some signed swag plus the busted zipp plus a chat with bobby j plus his wheel back doesn't seem to be quite the kick in the teeth you're making it out to be.

funny, he had to track them down, not the other way around. inconsiderate and ungrateful of csc. a kick to the you know what is more like it.

pros have access many more times the average joe like myself ever could to all things cycling, I just think that they could have done more, much more in their showing of appreciation, a pair of shoes or a gift certificate for something useful.

in my opinion they sent him toilet paper, nothing more.

and btw, I'm only debating, not trying to get on anyones bad side.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry, I meant used and signed toilet paper, not even new stuff.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your sense of entitlement is nothing short of astounding...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course he had to track them down, he knew who they were, they didn't know who he was. Or should bobby j have stopped to take his name and address down in the middle of the race?

You haven't really thought about this much have you? And why do you wipe your ass with signed pictures of pro cyclists?

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uh oh, I feel like that Katy girl of of a sudden. no, I wouldn't wipe my arse with a pic of a real cyclist, like let's say Sir Lance, but with that guy, sure thing! it's not like there's not two other rolls of tp not sitting right there, signed sealed and delivered. :-)

just saying that i think he deserves much more now like I say to all wheelsuckers: PLEASE GET OFF MY ARSE!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are right, the pros don't have that much stuff floating around, or stuff they can just give away. Neither do the manufacturers.
I think it was great that Hank helped Bobby out, got a fantastic story and experience out of it, and can feel good that he helped "someone" out.

My thought in general is that if I help someone out, I do that because I want to help out and not because I am expecting a return of sorts.

H
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bingo.

It's called Paying it Forward and people do not do enough of it IMHO. Hank helped Bobby J out not because he expected something in return, but because it was the right thing to do at that moment. That he has a legendary story to tell and got some pretty sweet CSC schwag (Uh, hello a 404 and the word TT champs autograph) is icing on the cake.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uh oh, I feel like that Katy girl of of a sudden.

What?? You should be so lucky.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry dude, we like katy...

Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]You are right, the pros don't have that much stuff floating around, or stuff they can just give away. Neither do the manufacturers.
I think it was great that Hank helped Bobby out, got a fantastic story and experience out of it, and can feel good that he helped "someone" out.

My thought in general is that if I help someone out, I do that because I want to help out and not because I am expecting a return of sorts.

H[/reply]

Agreed 100%

Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On why we, sometimes, help others:
Five decades of social psychological research has shown that the prime reason for helping is not because of our good nature, but most likely because of the situation we are in. For what it's worth: If you want to be helped, ask for it, just like BJ (oops, let's call him Bobby, initials don't work) did. That one of the best situational circumstances for the potential helper to get convinced it's time to show his/her "good nature".

This does not mean the Hank Rearden is not a good person, neither does it mean he can't feel good about what he did.

Anyway, nice story.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [triborun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ummmmmm, so basically you're agreeing with my post? People are slamming CSC for not giving Hank more, but I said in my post that he gave Bobby J the wheel not expecting something, but because it was the right thing to do. I think he should feel great about what he did and any positives that come from the situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course here comes ST to kill the thread by discussing ad nauseum whether or not hank should have gotten more stuff.

A typical response here would be "if you don't like it don't open up the thread". I opened it up to see if there was new chapters to the story as suddenly the thread picked up steam again, but for about 10 posts all I read was bs.

-------

Almost died in a car crash. Currently in rehab.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [JunK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
like i said, i just thought that he deserves more and hoped that he would've received more, I know no one asked for anything or expected anything and I would've done the same to any one, pro or not. i think it's safe to say that we've all broken down and had another cyclist assist, I know I have and I have been more than appreciative of it.

just would've liked to see a better ending.

Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [hank rearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again for sharing your story. I saw your child so may I be so bold as to offer a suggestion. Document all of this stuff in a professional or formatted way (e.g. a scrapbook, etc.), especially your post on Slowtwitch, the photos of the wheel, etc. Put a storyline together of the key events, number of posts, etc. and even consider making a DVD of you telling the story and showing the wheel. That way when you child (or ren if more) have show and tell.....they ROCK! Next year or at another event if you get the wheel signed and photo with Bobby, add it to the end of the chapter. By the way you wrote your post to us, think of it you wrote that from the perspective of dad telling kid(s) what happened on that day and the lessons they could learn from that....then let us know when Oprah calls :) Again, thanks for sharing and I was really impressed by the photos that people sent to you.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry dude, we like katy...

Gee thanks Lazy Ben! I had to quote it in case you change your mind later.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just for you, here's a list of CSC's sponsors and what they "should" have contributed:

CSC: I'm sure they could find a computer or something
Cervelo: a P4C obviously
ALM: they're a financial institution so how about some cash
Skoda: a car, and seeing as they're part of VAG how about not just handing over a crappy Skoda but a Bentley or Lambo
instead
Sidi: a pair of bike shoes in every size
Craft: a full team kit for each day of the year
SIS: a year's supply of supplements
Bell: helmets
Zipp: wheels, and make sure they have ceramic bearings you cheapskates
Oakley: glasses
Speedplay: ti pedals
SRM: throw a couple in for luck

I could go on but I'm getting bored. Let me know if this still falls short of your expectations. And be sure to use that "would've liked to see a better ending" line next time you get a massage...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is such a great story. Its too bad Sir Preston has to ruin this thread.

Good on ya Hank. Good on ya Bobby. Good on ya CSC.

t

My Blog:
http://www.staggerforwardrejoicing.com
Ultrarunning & Parenting: There is no finish line.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [prajna101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well i'm sorry for having an opinion on something contrary to yours. :-) and I didn't mean to ruin anything, it just bugs me.

and on to another point:

If CSC or Zipp won't step up, I think this would be of significant interest to SHIMANO, who made the guy's wheel. They should be interested in advertising that their wheel saved the day for a major racer on a major team in the biggest U.S. stage race, when the racer's own wheel didn't stand up to a pro-racer's needs. That would be a significant advertising story for Shimano, especially now that apparently the whole cycling industry and fanbase knows the story is real. I'm surprised someone from Shimano hasn't contacted him.
That's a good angle!

the above is not my own statement but a good point.

Quote Reply
Re: Crazy ToC Story: I Finally own a Zipp Wheel… [JunK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Of course here comes ST to kill the thread by discussing ad nauseum whether or not hank should have gotten more stuff.

A typical response here would be "if you don't like it don't open up the thread". I opened it up to see if there was new chapters to the story as suddenly the thread picked up steam again, but for about 10 posts all I read was bs.

It was my post suggesting that we "ST" try to put a "happier" ending on an already cool story...just trying to share some love...sorry for the highjack.

I think everyone can agree that the story is worth more than any SWAG.

Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze
Last edited by: Keyser_Soze: Mar 5, 08 10:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sir Preston-
L - E - T I - T G - O
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You sure have a lot of opinions on this. And for someone who just joined the forum....sounds a bit fishy.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next