Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ergomo terminates GITA
Quote | Reply
Hope all you Ergomo users out there speak German. I was very happy with the support from Gita but I guess I was in the minority?

ergomo® ready for a new approach in the USA

SG Sensortechnik GmbH & Co KG President Matthias A Gartner announces that the company is in the finalising stage of further building up the No 1 Power Meter, ergomo, in the USA and Canada.

After being launched in early 2006, ergomo became the most sold Power Meter worldwide within hardly 2 years. ergomo is now being sold in more then 35 countries.

Initially ergomo started to be distributed in the USA and Canada by GITA Sporting Goods. "GITA did a quite good job initially when they started with ergomo in North America due to their experience in selling bikes and textiles" says ergomo President Matthias A. Gartner "However to be longterm succesful with a high tech product like ergomo you would need to do much more then just distributing/selling ergomo. You will need to constantly coach and train your customers and the final consumer how and why to use ergomo. In addition you need to teach and explain why is it so important to install ergomo according to the specification of the manufacturer. Furtheron it is essential to give the customers an appropriate support and service not only to sell and install ergomo but also an excellent after sales service."

In order to make sure that all of the above will actually happen SG Sensortechnik GmbH & Co KG headquartered in Germany decided on November 08, 2007 to terminate the contract with GITA.

Since then the german manufacturer of ergomo is reconsidering how to better service the largest Power Meter market in the world.

Past experiences ergomo customers had, where GITA was not able to provide adequate service due to out off stock scenarios or not being deeply enough involved in the coaching/training environment should have never happened. All customers and consumers who purchased an ergomo deserve first class attention, service and understanding !

"Of course all companies are sales and profit driven, but to build up a totally new market segment with a proven succesful product like ergomo, you will need to invest in service, training and communication" says Matthias A Gartner, "Profits may come a bit later then normally but will come for sure."
Especially having a higher then normal defect rate at the very first deliveries in Spring/Summer 2006 of roughly 12 - 15 % the USA market should have received much more attention and service.

As this return rate has been reduced substantially since 2007 due to improved electronics and software ergomo is now getting in shape for 2008.

The new ergomo team for USA and Canada will be announced shortly !
Ergomo is going to assemble young and experienced industry professionals who understand the ergomo philosophy and concept.

"We are not in the market to make the quick buck and run away. We moved into the North American market to stay there and build up another fabulous german/american success story, companies like Porsche and BMW did before. We are in the US market to learn a lot and to explain our concepts. We are confident that our future partners will understand that." says Gartner.
In the meantime until the new organisation is in place all service/sales/marketing issues will be handled directly by the german HQ of ergomo.

SG Sensortechnik GmbH & Co KG
Am Berg 32
D-64546 Moerfelden-Walldorf
Germany
Telephone : 01149 6105 27310
Fax : 01149 6105 273120
e mail service@sg-sensortechnik.com

All customers will receive first class service and brand new product with the latest and newest hardware and software of the ergomo sensor and the ergomo computer and not product which may be outdated since more then 18 months.
Matthias A. Gartner

President & CEO

Am Berg 32
D-64546 Moerfelden-Walldorf
Germany

Tel: +49 6105 2731-0
Fax: +49 6105 2731-20
MAG@sg-sensortechnik.com
www.ergomo.net

-----------------------------------------
Donate now to the war on ALS
Quote Reply
Re: Ergomo terminates GITA [RACERX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, I'd like to hear Gita's side of the story on this one......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am surprised as well, the main contact at GITA ( Nelson?) was extremely helpful. He was very responsive and actually expedited out a new unit to me. Ergomo wanted me to return the defective unit to Germany, evaluate it, then either repair or send new unit. Was looking at a 6-8 week turnaround. He stepped in and 2 dayed a new unit to my bike shop.

Will be interesting to see who they go with. As I believe the learning curve will be steep for some outfit that has not handled PM's before. I realize to a distributor it is just another piece of merchandise but when one of these things does not work the customer can be pretty vocal.

fal7 in Power Meter Challenged Houston.
Owner of PT Pro & Ergomo Pro
Last edited by: fal7: Dec 7, 07 9:16
Quote Reply
Re: Ergomo terminates GITA [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hmmm, I'd like to hear Gita's side of the story on this one......
You took the words right out of my mouth!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After reading the annoucement a bit more closely re: "involved in coaching environment" Wonder if they are going with one of the larger online coaching services e.g. Carmichael Training Services?

fal7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I know is that I've been trying to get a new data transfer cable for nearly 3 months. Every time I ask, it's "We should be getting a new shipment in a couple of weeks." Last time, it was "a few weeks." I haven't been able to download any training data since IM Moo.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: Ergomo terminates GITA [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
All I know is that I've been trying to get a new data transfer cable for nearly 3 months. Every time I ask, it's "We should be getting a new shipment in a couple of weeks." Last time, it was "a few weeks." I haven't been able to download any training data since IM Moo.
Fair enough, but who is shipping out those cables to Gita, and who is providing the information to Gita on when they're shipping? As I said, there are two sides to this one.

That said, I've never seen a manufacturer part ways with a distributor and badmouth the distributor in doing so. It seems pretty unprofessional to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Ergomo terminates GITA [fal7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
After reading the annoucement a bit more closely re: "involved in coaching environment" Wonder if they are going with one of the larger online coaching services e.g. Carmichael Training Services?

I doubt it will be TrainingPeaks, e.g.:

http://blog.trainingpeaks.com/...nd-ergoracer-15.html
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Dec 7, 07 9:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting, esp. since 2 ahtletes I know received full refunds through their LBS/GITA for faulty Ergomo's.

I have to think Gita was tired of servicing them at that rate....

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here's what we got from Gita this morning:

News Release
December 7, 2007

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Gita Ends Relationship with Ergomo

Charlotte, NC - Gita Sporting Goods, LTD announced today that it will officially end its distribution agreement with SG Sensortechnik GmbH & Co KG, parent company of Ergomo, effective January 8, 2008, due to product reliability issues. The ever increasing returns of the Ergomo computers and sensors, the two main components of the ergomo system, and the manufacture’s failure to provide adequate support drove the decision.

Speaking on behalf of Gita, Giorgio Andretta, President said,
“This is a really unique situation and an extreme disappointment for us. In 35 years of servicing the US market we have never had a supplier fail to support their product in this manner. The defective return rate now exceeds 30%. We have been negotiating for months trying to get the parts necessary to provide service for the defective units we have on hand. We have prepaid for additional units to satisfy these issues. Ergomo has failed to deliver these units.
We apologize to those dealers and consumers that have been affected by this and are truly sorry for the inconvenience they are experiencing. We are continuing to work on their behalf to rectify these issues. We simply can no longer subsidize the product without support from Ergomo.”

Without the necessary replacement parts from Ergomo, Gita does not have sufficient parts to provide the service and repairs for all of the returned units now on hand or for which return authorizations have already been issued. Gita will contact the customers whose units cannot currently be replaced and determine how to proceed. Gita will continue its efforts to obtain replacement parts from Ergomo; however, as of today all future warranty and service issues should be directed to Sensortechnik at the address below.

Am Berg 32
D-64546 Morfelden-Walldorf
Germany
Telephone: 49-610527310
Email: MAG@sg-sensortechnik.com

Last edited by: ontherivet: Dec 7, 07 10:21
Quote Reply
Re: Ergomo terminates GITA [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a former dealer of this product, I'm glad to see Gita finally getting rid of it. I'm surprised it lasted this long. We bought about 10 one year ago in Dec. and I think our total returns YTD are at 15 or so, since a few of the units had to go back more than once.

However Nelson and everyone we worked with at Gita were all extremely helpful, professional, and provided us with everything we needed to correct the situation. In most cases this involved a new bottom bracket, computer, or both, and it's hard to see how a company could turn a profit like that.

I highly doubt the folks over at Peaks are ending their relationship with Ergomo - isn't Hunter a partner in the business or something like that? In fact, the Peaks group seems like the most likely new distributor of the Ergomo since Hunter "loves" that thing - conversations with him were why we bought some in the first place and I can't believe I was fooled so easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow, just reading the Ergomo press release again. This is a great example of marketing spin vs. "in the trenches" reality. Gita's version gets it right.
Quote Reply
Re: Ergomo terminates GITA [ontherivet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a bad breakup, I wonder who gets custody of the kids.

-----------------------------------------
Donate now to the war on ALS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

We sell approximately 100 pwermetering devices per year, Powertap, SRM, Ergomo.

Our shop installs our ergomos correctly, as we were shown how to by the CEO and owner himself.............................we now have 3x more returns than sales, due to the many places one can obtain this "product", but very few are willing to be a service intermediary. We now refuse any and all ergomo pm devices for work or service of any kind. And that was before the termination of the GITA/Ergomo relationship.

I have never encountered a product that has so often failed in such a wide range of reasons.

I will stick with my SRM.

Enjoy the ride

Tom Price
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I highly doubt the folks over at Peaks are ending their relationship with Ergomo

I don't. ;-)

In Reply To:
- isn't Hunter a partner in the business or something like that? In fact, the Peaks group seems like the most likely new distributor of the Ergomo since Hunter "loves" that thing - conversations with him were why we bought some in the first place and I can't believe I was fooled so easily.

Hunter played a role in setting up distribution of the Ergomo in the US when it first came out, but his involvement in that regard ended several years ago. Since then the only connection has been through the licensing of a rebadged version of WKO+ to Ergomo for distribution as Ergoracer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to know.

Thanks for setting the record straight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this doesn't read like ad copy then he's at least a very big fan of the Ergomo:

http://www.peakscoachinggroup.com/LaRuta.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not blaming Gita. Gita is supplying Glory Cycles. Ergomo is supplying Gita. Or not supplying, as the case may be. All I know is nobady has a freakin' cable, and I can't download my data. I'm getting a soldering iron today to see if I can fix it myself.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I am not sure about what happened between Gita and Ergomo, but I must say it is a very unfortunate circumstance. I have worked with Ergomo in the past and will do so again in 2008. I have had to send it back once to Gita and Nelson was very helpful.

I also had to send my Ergomo ( prior to the Pro) back to Germany on a prior occasion. The folks there were extremely helpful ( including Matthias, the CEO) and upgraded to the pro so that I could be on the newest model. they seem very concerned in replying in a timely manner so that i could be without my Ergomo for the minimum amount of time. Their German customer service was really top notch.

I started training with the Ergomo power meter when it was first launched in the USA, and I cannot say enough good things about it. It is the best power meter I have ever used, although these are not the issues here. I just feel it can't be stressed enough.

That's my 2 cents,

http://www.Felipe-Bastos.com
--------------------------------------------
Blog: felipebastos.blogspot.com
Facebook: facebook.com/felipebastos
Twitter: @felipebastos1
Last edited by: Felipe: Dec 9, 07 7:18
Quote Reply
Re: Ergomo terminates GITA [Felipe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I cannot say enough good things about it.

Nor can I.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
wow, just reading the Ergomo press release again. This is a great example of marketing spin vs. "in the trenches" reality. Gita's version gets it right.

I was scratching my head after reading the Ergomo version. They basically admit to the very issues that Gita points to (low inventory, high return pct.), and blame Gita for not providing what they, the manufacturer, are not able to deliver. Huh?

Re: Ergomo terminates GITA [tricyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As UK distributor for ergomo I had a brief conversation with ergomo about this last week before I was aware of this press release .

I think the ergomo press release is not well written and comes across quite negative , my undertanding of the main reason for moving to a new distribution was to help open and explore improved and better "route to market" .

Make no mistake ergomo is a very technical sale , and requires accurate installation , and then very knowledgable staff that also have an understanding of power training , certainly in the uk we have had very little success following the traditional cycle market distribution of selling to retailers to resell to customers .

Our best successes has been based on some very skilled , competent , and knowledgable power training "tech centres" - only a few bicycle retail stores have done a great job .

In the US I was under the impression Gita had done a good job , and ergomo were wanting to develop more , shall we say "non traditional" ways of taking a very technical bicycle product to market , for instance by linking in with the key power training coaches .

I believe the ergomo press release does not get across what they were trying to say , and to get into a public slanging match with an ex distributor is never a great move .
Quote Reply
Re: Ergomo terminates GITA [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW I had the same problem after IMOO. My LBS was just going to re-attach the broken wires of my existing one but GITA (I believe) convinced them to ship my busted one to them. After 4 more weeks GITA fixed my existing one the same way the LBS was going to and sent it back.
You may want to look for someone local to solder your wires back together (probably right where the twist connector to the handle bar unit is you have a frayed wire)

[reply]
All I know is that I've been trying to get a new data transfer cable for nearly 3 months. Every time I ask, it's "We should be getting a new shipment in a couple of weeks." Last time, it was "a few weeks." I haven't been able to download any training data since IM Moo.[/reply]
Quote Reply