Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pedialyte to be marketed as a new sports drink?!?
Quote | Reply
I went to a market research meeting yesterday, and apparently the makers of Pedialyte are going to begin marketing Pedialyte as a sports drink similar to gatorade, powerade etc. They are coming out with several new flavors which I was able to try...they were actually not too bad. They are not changing the formula one bit, they are simply adding flavors and changing the packaging.

Does anyone use pedialyte regularly in their training? I know I have used it after races or cases of severe dehydration, but they are trying to market it as a workout drink that would be used before, during, and after working out.

Personally, I thought that it was a bit heavy. Despite the fact that it has less sugar and calories than most sports drink, it has a very heavy and syrupy mouth feel and I think it would give me GI issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedialyte to be marketed as a new sports drink?!? [Fast is Fast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never used it but a 'local legend' in my area that has run dozens of 100 milers swears by it.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedialyte to be marketed as a new sports drink?!? [matti58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder who thier target audience will be?

It's been hugh in the MMA circle for years. I'm 42.....when I was a high school grappler our coach highly recommended it. After weigh ins for a meet we all had to down a bottle. But keep in mind that we were purposely dehydrating ourselves to make weight.

Hurry Up Every Chance You Get

(formerly LuctorEtEmergo)
Quote Reply
Re: Pedialyte to be marketed as a new sports drink?!? [Fast is Fast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Does anyone use pedialyte regularly in their training?
---------------------------------------------------

Back in my Adventure Racing days i had a partner who loved the stuff, and occasionally when i bonked he would force it down my throat. I never really looked into it, he just said it had a great electrolyte content.

-Erik

"I don't half-ass anything. For me its either whole-ass or nothing." -elake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used a similar product for AFTER hard workouts or races. Seemed to work for me.

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using Gastrolyte (adult version of Pedialyte) for about 12 years as a recovery drink. I'm surprised it took them this long to figure it out.
It works great, especcially for me. The taste is uhm, well it tastes;) The tropical fruit mixed with orange juice is the best.

Scott McNamee
Cranks Bicycle Shoppe
Quote Reply
Re: Pedialyte to be marketed as a new sports drink?!? [cdnbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually the 'old' Stokely Van Kamp version was very similar to pedialyte, but for years now it has had more sugar and less electrolytes--a lot less.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedialyte to be marketed as a new sports drink?!? [cdnbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get to work you slack a**! Got my Tacx unit up and running yet??
Muah :)

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cannot stand the taste and consistency of the stuff....absolutely awful!!! I cannot imagine using it while training. Just the thought of it makes me gag and I have the stomach of a billy-goat. In addition I feel the caloric level is too low to be effective as a good during workout sport drink.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They better get the price down comparable to gatorade.

Quote | Reply
I use it for races. It is very rapidly absorbed since it has only 2.5% Glucose and about 1/3 normal saline.

I drink one 8 oz bottle right before the swim and I take one out at with me from T2. It gets in quickly for hydration. It has a pull off cap, so I have to keep my finger over the little hole. Gerber Liquilytes is the same. It's available in a powder that you add to 8 oz of water.

WARNING. DO NOT GET THE ORANGE-PINK COLORED ONE CALLED "FRUIT." IT IS DISGUSTING and will likely make you nauseated.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anybody actually read the label on product they put into their body?

Pedialyte has fewer electrolytes and half the calories per serving than Gatorade Endurance or a standard Infinit mix. Plus it tastes like shit.

---------------------------------------------------

Brawndo's got what plants crave. Brawndo's got electrolytes. And that's what plants crave. They crave electrolytes. Which is what Brawndo has. And that's why plants crave Brawndo. Not water, like from the toilet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They better come out with new flavors because my dog won't even drink the current ones. We went for a long hot hike this past summer and when we got back to the car I could see the dog was really thirsty. I offered her some pedialyte from my emergency kit in the truck and she looked at me like "What is this crap"? I dumped it out and filled it with Cytomax and she gulped it down. We now use GoDog, a special electrolyte drink for dogs. It comes in liver flavor that she LOVES!

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's reportedly a popular drink with some NHL teams and players during the playoffs when you start to get into double and triple overtime fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedialyte to be marketed as a new sports drink?!? [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wait, sorry to shift topics here, but what the heck is GoDog? I'm highly skeptical although I guess if I need more than just H2O on a long run so might my dog. I always just gave him water and then extra food for dinner later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
while I've never used pedialyte/gastrolyte as a sports drink, it made a great hangover/late night recovery tonic when I was on tour with the band.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm using Pelialyte in my long trainnings and is going very well.
Actually I started using after read "The Ultramarathon Man - from Dan Karnazes" ....he use it ....and I though was a very good idea, as there is much more eletrolytes than any other sport drink.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedialyte to be marketed as a new sports drink?!? [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I recall, there are 30-35mg/oz of Sodium, about triple that of regular Gatorade.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
They better come out with new flavors because my dog won't even drink the current ones. ..... We now use GoDog, a special electrolyte drink for dogs. It comes in liver flavor that she LOVES!

Not sure if using a Dog as an indicator of taste is a good Idea. Does GoDog come in Cat poop, flavor (***Now with Cat Litter Flavor Enhancers***), and yes we still sell the ever popular Rabbit Poop, and the original Dog butt flavor.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedialyte to be marketed as a new sports drink?!? [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been using a mix of Vitargo as recovery, as the regular Vitargo doesn't mix well but they are coming out with a new one called GENr8 Vitargo that will mix better. It will be out in February I was told. So I will try it when it comes out.

Like T says, "Remember it is all about the Bike because it is all about the Run!"
Quote Reply
Re: Pedialyte to be marketed as a new sports drink?!? [slidecontrol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
while I've never used pedialyte/gastrolyte as a sports drink, it made a great hangover/late night recovery tonic when I was on tour with the band.
I heard that. The Stones used to use it, but they are drinking Ensure now.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Pedialyte to be marketed as a new sports drink?!? [gienopes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From their web page:

Total Performance Drink for Dogs!

K9 Go DOG, dog sports drink supplement is more than just water and carbs. It’s not a human sports drink reconfigured for dogs. It’s designed specifically for the canine metabolism and features a proprietary blend of electrolytes, short-burst and long-range energy fuels, plus vital buffering agents. These buffers help neutralize performance-robbing, potentially-lethal metabolic acid (H+) buildup.
The explosive muscular power that propels your dog into the air after a Frisbee or over an agility obstacle comes at a cost – heat. The more power generated, the more heat produced. This heat builds up and limits performance. It can even kill. There’s never been much you could do but surrender to the endothermic (heat generating) effect. Except wait it out, hope for the best. Now that human sports drinks have proved themselves, we believe it’s time that dogs benefit. That’s why we developed K9 Go DOG.
Nothing does more to keep your dog in the performance and safety zone than Go DOG. Try K9 Go DOG, and see the longer-stronger-happier-healthier difference it makes in your dog!
Dogs operate within a narrow core temperature range. Their power zone is 100 - 104°F. Your dog’s performance declines above this range and heat stroke becomes a real danger. Short muzzle dogs are especially at risk (smaller “radiators” than long muzzle dogs). And core temp rises faster on hot days.
Highly Effective- Each ingredient in K9 Go DOG is made more effective by Nobel Prize winning science. K9 GoDOG contains OxyBoost, the first natural canine vasodilator, medically proven to relax and expand blood vessels. Increased circulation improves oxygen and energy delivery, recovery-even hydration.
Total Canine Performance- K9 GoDOG strengthens all 3 metabolic links to total peak performance.
Improve Physical Performance- GoDOG Increases energy production in slow and fast twitch muscle fibers; maintain higher output longer. Rapid & slow release fuels generate higher muscle ATP, boosting strength and power. Enhanced lactic acid & ammonia clearance reduces fatigue & the “burn”, extending endurance. Finally, enhanced oxygen delivery increases “air” (more V02 max remaining) & raises anaerobic threshold.
Improve Mental Performance- K9 Go DOG raises oxygen and glucose delivery to the brain, plus neurotransmitter & hydration support, maintains mental focus even under the most grueling conditions.
Improve Field Performance- Go DOG supplement improves tracking ability to detect and follow scents for hours when others weaken.

K9 Go Dog provides the following powerful benefits:
• Recovering or Dehydrated Dogs
• Any Dog in Hot Sun
• Safety & Fun
• Endurance
• Increase Oxygen Delivery
• Hydration
• Lactic Acid Buffering
• Exercise Comfort
• Mental Focus
• Trans Fat Free!
• K9 Athletes: Agility, Shows, Fly Ball, Hunting, Herding, Obedience, Coursing & More

Technical Data:

Container Size: 1.25 Lb.
Serving Size: 20g (1 Scoop)
Servings Per Container: 28

Protein 6%
Fat 9%
Carbohydrates 75%
Moisture 7%
Ash 3%
NO! sucrose, fructose, trans fat, corn syrup or by products.

K9 GoDog Human Grade Ingredients: GoDog Performance Factors™ Glucose polymers (long chain complex carbohydrates), Resistant starch, Medium-chain triglycerides, Beef Fat, Potassium L-lactate, Sodium L-lactate, O2Boost™ L-Citrulline, L-Citrulline Malate, D-Ribose, Potassium ascorbate, L-Carnitine, Magnesium orotate, GoDo Recovery Factors™ Cooked chicken, Cooked beef, L-Glutamine, L-Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine, L-Taurine, L-Carnosine, ALA (alpha lipoic acid), L-Alanine, L-Glycine, Phosphatidylserine. GoDog Hydration Factors™ USP Glycerol, Sodium citrate, Potassium citrate, Potassium succinate, GoDog Antioxidant Factors™ Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol), Calcium ascorbate (non-acidic source of vitamin C), Grape seed extract. GoDog Joint Factors™ TMG (trimethylglycine), Chondroitin sulfate, MSM (S-Adenosyl Methionine), Sodium hylauronate (glucuronic acid N-acetyl glucosamine), Choline bitartrate, Calcium Lactate, Pyridoxine HCL, Inositol, Di-calcium phosphate, Zinc L-Aspartate, Folic acid, Manganese L-Aspartate, Dimethylprimidinol sulfate (source of vitamin K), Thiamin monohydrate, Cyanocobalamin (B12), Paba.

Directions: Mix one scoop GoDog in 21 oz water in a shaker or sports bottle. Squirt from sports bottle slowly into dogs mouth or pour into water bowl.
Before exercise - feed 25% of bottle 15 minutes prior to exercise.
During exercise - feed 25% of bottle every 15 - 45 minutes.
After exercise - feed remainder within 30 minutes after workout.
Dog shows, performance trials, etc. - feed 25-50% of bottle every 30-60 minutes to maintain energy levels.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know that my 2 1/2 year old loves it when she bonks. I think she likes the grape flavour the best.

Hippies. They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad.
- Eric Cartman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can have your Pedialyte! Give me my Brawndo (it has electrolytes). It's the drink of the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedialyte to be marketed as a new sports drink?!? [thx10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I know that my 2 1/2 year old loves it when she bonks. I think she likes the grape flavour the best.
My 3-year-old won't drink pedialyte. When he needs electrolyte replacement, I give him Gatorade, which he loves.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply

Prev Next