Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Prayers for IMFL athlete [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She is in our thoughts and prayers. Godspeed.

"thoughts become things, choose the good ones"
Quote Reply
Re: Prayers for IMFL athlete [dbarron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

My wife and I were volunteers during IM Florida; we paddled as a safety boat during the swim. We were paddling with Tony, a physically challenged athlete, about 100 yards from the finish and 50 yards away from Dorothy when she went under.

Dorothy had been speaking with lots of us volunteers during the swim. Stopping from time to time, holding onto a kayak to catch her breath, she would chat with us in our boats and continue on with her swim. Dorothy had a volunteer paddling along her side the last half of the second loop. This female volunteer gave Dorothy a place to rest and TONS of support. Many of the volunteer paddlers, Annie and myself included, circled Dorothy giving her encouragement, chatting and cheering her along. Although she was notably tired (who isn't after 2 miles of swimming) Dorothy pushed on after each rest; she seemed optimistic and intent on making the cut off to fulfill her IronMan goal.

Thank you for the update. Please, keep the updates coming and all of us in Atlanta will have Dorothy in our thoughts and prayers.

Gary A Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't been able to think of anything else since hearing about this on Monday morning. I knew how excited Dorothy was to participate in the race. My heart is breaking for she & her family. I have everyone I know praying for her that a Miracle will occur!! To go from such a high that a triathlon brings to this type of low is something that I can't even begin to comprehend.

God Bless the family!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been glued to ST for updates on this. I can't stop thinking about her. I have been asking all of my friends to pray for her..miracles can happen!! Thank you for keeping us informed as you have.

===========================
http://www.ironm4n.blogspot.com

-----------------
http://www.konashelley.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Prayers for IMFL athlete [tri_gear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dorothy is a very dear friend of mine. This is just tragic. Her story was aired on Channel 11 last night. Here is the link http://cbs11tv.com/...story_310225151.html. Her family really needs our prayers.
Tammy
Quote Reply
Re: Prayers for IMFL athlete [tammyfi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tammy, thank you for the link. There is a link to Dorothy's Journey of Hope donation page at the end of the article. The story is so heartbreaking. My thoughts and prayers are with Dorothy and her family.
Quote Reply
Re: Prayers for IMFL athlete [tammyfi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tammy, I just saw this thread. Come on Dorothy, this is one race your kids need you to win....our prayers are with all her family!!!

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Prayers for IMFL athlete [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is heartbreaking. I cannot even imagine what Dorothy's kids must be going through. While I don't know her, she is definately in my prayers. God is amazing, hears our prayers and answers then. May he hear our prayers and heal Dorothy's injuries.
Quote Reply
Re: Prayers for IMFL athlete [Mizzou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry I don't have much news. This is the only update I've received:

I spoke to Mike this morning. There is no change in Dorothy's condition. The results of the brain activity test were not what they had hoped. They will run the test again tomorrow. I will send you more information when I speak to Mike again. Dorothy, Mike and their family continue to need your prayers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was hoping to see some good news today. She is in my thoughts and prayers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Gang,
My name is Shawna Gibson. I am from Fort Worth and belong to several area clubs, Team Ridglea, Tricowtown, Cancer Commandos, etc...

I have to say as I am reading these updates I can hardly see the screen thought the tears.

Like all of you we have this posted on our forum and sending Dorothy, her family, friends, everyone our thoughts and prayers.
I was about 4 or 5 feet away and was horrified at what I saw. I will say the team that was working with her was amazing!

Anyway, if there is anything that any of us can do please let me know.

Many thoughts and prayers are sent her way...
-Sho
www.cancercommandos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was hoping for better news...very very sorry to hear about the test results...
hoping things go better....just hoping and wishing for her...

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Prayers for IMFL athlete [BiasedOyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My family was waiting for me to finish and saw the rescuers bringing her in. They have prayed at every meal and bedtime for her. I pray for her kids who had to watch all of that especially after all they have been through. Fight, Dorothy, fight! God be with her and her family! Give the doctors discernment and wisdom and everyone who cares for her compassion and loving spirits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A tragedy to say the least. I've been working closely with Dorothy for nearly 6 months now in physical therapy...we all know Ironman training certainly doesn't come injury free. I also rode quite a bit of the Hotter 'N Hell Hundred with her several months ago, and she's a blessing to work and train with. Her singing is no surprise to me at all, she's a blessing to many many people, and I can't say enough prayers for her and Mike. We're praying for you at Peak PT!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the updates. I continue to keep this woman and her family in my best wishes and thoughts. I appreciate your stewardship of this difficult information.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Prayers for IMFL athlete [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump...
Quote Reply
Re: Prayers for IMFL athlete [vjlincecum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
still praying and hoping that she will come thru this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still keeping Dorothy in my thoughts/prayers. Please keep us posted when you have a chance.......

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumped.... with many many prayers.

:-) Mary
Quote Reply
Re: Prayers for IMFL athlete [Meggers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With sorrow, I share with you the news I just received from Dave Young:

It is my sad responsibility to be the messenger of unhappy news I never, ever thought I would send.

Dorothy Barnett-Griffin, wife, mother of three, sister, daughter, philanthropist, athlete, friend to hundreds and more of an Ironwoman then all the Ironmen I have ever known, passed from this frail existence today November 8, 2007.

Dorothy will be missed. She was a punctilious pink presence everywhere she went. She opened her heart and her home and her purse to so many. She was a woman of opinions clearly stated and a wit and wisdom equally measured out in ample doses to lift or lead others as needed. She was a magnificent woman.

She was intolerant of fools and incompetence but had a heart so big that she became the epitome to many of faith and hope and charity – but like Paul writing to the Corinthians, charity was her greatest quest. As a result of losing her first husband to a sudden tragic death, she became familiar with and then a huge supporter of the Journey of Hope Grief Support Center in Plano. In fact she was racing in the Ironman to race funds for this organization. (For more information see http://www.johgriefsupport.org/founders.htm)

We honor best not with flowers and cards and well-used expressions of sympathy but by imitating and emulating the worthy life of another. You could do far worse than to follow the admonishment to go and try to be like Dorothy. Be "Dorothy-Strong!"

On her way into Heaven I can hear her saying as she speedily passes dawdling others shuffling slowly along - just like she did in many a race:

"Girl on your left."

We are diminished greatly by her leaving, we are all magnified for having had her in our lives.

Farewell Dorothy.

Please pray for Mike and Dorothy's kids.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ....am....absolutely....heartbroken. I will continue to keep her family in my prayers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did Ironman Florida...Our family has lost one of its own. Can you please post pictures of Dorothy. Im so sorry. This is a great loss to us all. God bless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry to hear this. I was afraid that this would be the case.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How incredibly sobering. My thoughts and prayers to her husband and kids. Sounds as though she was a great example to those around her for how to live life.

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply

Prev Next